Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami Coaching Salaries

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
edited April 6 in Miami Memos
Thought I would just list a few salaries of our major sports-football, MBB, WBB, Hockey, Volleyball (wanted more than one womens sport). The discussion on Bergeron's hiring and salary got me motivated to look all this up, just for discussions sake. These salaries are base only and the most recent contracts available for review, except Bergeron whose number I will give based on news reports. I won't go into a discussion of men's and women's salary comparison other than to say given her 2 year success, Megan is arguably underpaid. But it is interesting to me to note our MBB coach and Hockey coach make very similar salaries. I haven't done the research yet, but my guess is Miami is an outlier in this regard. I would guess at most schools that have both sports playing at the DI level, that MBB is paid generally significantly more than hockey. I could be wrong, and maybe the hockey alums are footing part of Bergeron's salary, I don't know. But perhaps this does shine some light on the commitment Miami is or isn't making to BB as a whole. Saturday morning musings. 

FB        Chuck Martin        481,746
MBB    Jack Owens           357,000
HKY     Chris Bergeron     305,000  (Rico Blasi made 342,841) 
WBB    Megan Duffy         237,000
VB       Carolyn Condit      101,094

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    And on a personal note, I won't name him or his salary, but perhaps the most drastically underpaid person in the athletic department is also a person most of us would say is amongst the best in his profession. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Idk what Steve Baker makes, but he needs to make more.

There, I said it.
    Professor_FateMacCrackenMHT_Meme_Teamkillgas20
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    I thought the hockey coach is at least partially endowed?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Thought I would just list a few salaries of our major sports-football, MBB, WBB, Hockey, Volleyball (wanted more than one womens sport). The discussion on Bergeron's hiring and salary got me motivated to look all this up, just for discussions sake. These salaries are base only and the most recent contracts available for review, except Bergeron whose number I will give based on news reports. I won't go into a discussion of men's and women's salary comparison other than to say given her 2 year success, Megan is arguably underpaid. But it is interesting to me to note our MBB coach and Hockey coach make very similar salaries. I haven't done the research yet, but my guess is Miami is an outlier in this regard. I would guess at most schools that have both sports playing at the DI level, that MBB is paid generally significantly more than hockey. I could be wrong, and maybe the hockey alums are footing part of Bergeron's salary, I don't know. But perhaps this does shine some light on the commitment Miami is or isn't making to BB as a whole. Saturday morning musings. 

FB        Chuck Martin        481,746
    MBB    Jack Owens           357,000
    HKY     Chris Bergeron     305,000  (Rico Blasi made 342,841) 
    WBB    Megan Duffy         237,000
    VB       Carolyn Condit      101,094

Two points:

Relative to success, a few on this list are overpaid.

Duffy knows full well what she makes relative to other Miami coaches and, more important, relative to other successful women in her profession. One more year like the last (or better) and she's gone.
  • agcagc Havighurstite
    Most of these values are outdated. This is the best place to look for salaries (all MU employees): https://www.daytondailynews.com/data/news/payroll-project/ it is updated annually. That said, keep in mind that some MU employees (including some coaches) have some benefits beyond salaries, such as an extra 14% contribution to a pension plan, tuition waiver, etc.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

I thought the hockey coach is at least partially endowed?

I can't.......You're making this too easy.
    Redhawk2019
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Carolyn Condit is grossly underpaid.

Condit by the numbers
    35 years
    709 -- Career wins (as of end of 2017 season)
    23 - Teams that have advanced to at least to the Mid-American Conference Tournament quarterfinals since the tournament was reinstituted in 1987.
    17- Teams that have finished in the top three in the regular season
    9 -- NCAA Appearances
    7 -- MAC Regular Season titles
    11 -- MAC Tournament title appearances
    5 -- MAC Tournament titles
    5 --MAC Coach of the Year wins
    5 -- Student-Athletes have won MAC Player of the Year
    79 - All-MAC awards
    62 -- Academic All-MAC awards (now Distinguished Scholar Athlete Award)
    7 -- CoSIDA Academic All-Americans

and is the lowest paid of those mentioned. 
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    What does she make compared to other volleyball coaches in the MAC?
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Condit is one helluva coach and a loyal Miamian, one of the best representing our university. But the market sets what the market requires, if we can get a coach of her caliber for a program as strong as it is for that salary, she isn't underpaid even on a subjective level she is.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33laxdaddy
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

Condit is one helluva coach and a loyal Miamian, one of the best representing our university. But the market sets what the market requires, if we can get a coach of her caliber for a program as strong as it is for that salary, she isn't underpaid even on a subjective level she is.

Market pricing is hard to process sometimes in the face of success. You could be the be the best harp player the world has ever seen, but you’re going to make less than an average pop singer. It’s what the market bears.

So too with Coach Condit. She’s a fantastic coach with great success, and let’s assume it’s a bit higher than the 101K listed. John Cook at Nebraska has 4-5 titles, a similar number of runners up, and many Final Fours and he makes around 650K. 5-6 times her salary would mean she’s actually well paid comparatively when you see, for example, college basketball where a good and fairly successful mid major coach makes around $4-500K while the top coaches, and those with titles, are often making $4-5MM if not more.
    redhawk11
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Blasi was here 20 years and made less than Owens. Surprising
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    edited April 7
    elpalito said:

I wouldn't say surprising. Michigan's head hockey coach makes $400k and is one of the highest paid in all of college hockey. Rico was right up near the top. Jerry York has 5 titles and is the all time wins leader makes $600k/year on average (his contract had a lot of deferred money, so last year he made $1.25mil).
    AORedHawk33
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    elpalito said:

His deal was signed several years before Owens.  That makes a difference as coaching salaries have been escalating.