Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Megan Duffy to Marquette

This is terrible news for Miami. Just announced Megan Duffy is the new HC at Marquette. She was a great coach. I hope Sayler makes another good hire. By far, Megan was his best hire of his tenure. I wish her well. How depressing. 
«134

Comments

  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    What a shame to lose a great coach so quickly.  
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach in MACTION.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    edited April 10
    I’m heartbroken.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    digitalhawk
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    It's shame to lose a coach like this without getting any championships.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Program is in much better shape now then when Megan took over. That being said, just like a program can be turned around in 2 years for the good, it can just as quickly have the bottom drop out. David Sayler must make the right hire, and not take eons to do it. If I were him,  I would be looking for someone with the exact same traits as Megan. And yes, she was tough on the players. And it worked, and they liked her. Winning is fun. 
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    The release didnt even mention any quotes about Duffy. She did a real good job but i am suprised she left this quick. I dont have a sense if Big East womens basketball is as meaningful as mens. I am sure she will make more.
  • RedseaRedsea Senior Barfly
    After research seems like Big East womes basketball is a step down from the men (only two teams in the tournament) but Marquette is the best team
    CycloneAl
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

    The release didnt even mention any quotes about Duffy. She did a real good job but i am suprised she left this quick. I dont have a sense if Big East womens basketball is as meaningful as mens. I am sure she will make more.

    Marquette won 27 games this year. Their coach left on April 3 for Penn State. In 7 days they land Duffy. 
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I am going to throw a name out there many might not know but she is with the program already and I think should at least be considered. And that is assistant coach Ke'Sha Blanton. Prior to Miami she was an assistant coach at Detroit Mercy in the Horizon and before that graduate assistant coach at Florida State. She graduated from Toledo. I know she is young, but it might be a good way to continue what Megan has been building. Not saying I am endorsing her but I think she should be in the mix. Unless she follows Megan to Marquette. 
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited April 10
    That might be one of fastest coaching departures ever. Didn’t see a single one of her recruits see their junior year. Best of luck. She was a favorite of mine. I thought we’d get one more year out of her. The release on this sounds like Miami was caught by surprise
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited April 10
    19goSkins said:

    I’m heartbroken.

    On the bright side maybe your restraining order will be terminated.
    redhawk11skin66Quinoaburgermuhawkthechuck_2112Love_and_HonorChiefPanic
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    I thought we might get at least one or two more years out of her, particularly since she's from the Dayton area and I assume still has family in the area.
    :(
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

    That might be one of fastest coaching departures ever. Didn’t see a single one of her recruits see their junior year. Best of luck. She was a favorite of mine. I thought we’d get one more year out of her. The release on this sounds like Miami was caught by surprise

    In the coaching profession, if you get a chance to move up fast, you take it.  Duffy's run at Miami was already reminding me a bit of another short-stay MACTION coach.  

  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly

    19goSkins said:

    I’m heartbroken.

    On the bright, maybe your restraining order will be terminated.
    I'm looking for jobs in Milwaukee this morning!
    agc
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    TruckCrew
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    Came here to post the exact same thing. Well, with fewer big words. 
    mooseelpalito
  • Hawks05Hawks05 Dodds God
    Cleve Wright was just hired as the Head Coach at Gannon last week.  Thankfully his name should be off the table this time around.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited April 10
    DevilGrad said:

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    Let's be real. Buffalo's "institutional commitment" by giving Oats a new deal was as much about the fat buyout they got as it was about trying to keep the good times rolling. Buffalo subsidized their new coach for 2 years the moment Alabama took him away. 

    In some respects, we got lucky here. Duffy's buyout was due to decrease from $210,000 to $100,000 in 51 days. 
    TruckCrewagc
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Sadly no one is knocking on our doors to take our major men's sport coaches anymore.

    Congrats to Meghan D!




    agc
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    I told you all money talks
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    DevilGrad said:

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    Let's be real. Buffalo's "institutional commitment" by giving Oats a new deal was as much about the fat buyout they got as it was about trying to keep the good times rolling
    Fully aware.  It was a smart move although not quite as appealing to my grumpy old lawyer sense of humor as WMU trademarking all that "Row the Boat" crap so that Minnesota had to buy that in addition to paying Fleck's buyout in K-Zoo.  
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

    yanksalex said:

    DevilGrad said:

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    Let's be real. Buffalo's "institutional commitment" by giving Oats a new deal was as much about the fat buyout they got as it was about trying to keep the good times rolling
    Fully aware.  It was a smart move although not quite as appealing to my grumpy old lawyer sense of humor as WMU trademarking all that "Row the Boat" crap so that Minnesota had to buy that in addition to paying Fleck's buyout in K-Zoo.  
    When is Duke basketball paying us for The Brotherhood?

  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    greggie76 said:

    I told you all money talks

    Interesting perspective. Wish I had listened
    Bash_RiprockagcChiefPanicdigitalhawk
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    One other thing about Ke'Sha Blanton-she is our recruiting coordinator, so was instrumental in the recruits we have under Megan. 
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

    DevilGrad said:

    yanksalex said:

    DevilGrad said:

    DevilGrad said:

    This is an occupational hazard of having a great young coach at Miami where there is no committment to basketball******.  But Coach Duffy did good things here and left the program in much better shape than she found it.  Hopefully that will make it easier to attract the next great young coach. And here's hoping she knocks it out of the park at Marquette.  

    Fixed it for you
    You mean like the institutional commitment that kept Nate Oats at Buffalo?  We all get that Miami basketball could use more support, but no one in the league can keep a top young coach -- in any sport -- when bigger conferences with significantly more money come calling.  
    Let's be real. Buffalo's "institutional commitment" by giving Oats a new deal was as much about the fat buyout they got as it was about trying to keep the good times rolling
    Fully aware.  It was a smart move although not quite as appealing to my grumpy old lawyer sense of humor as WMU trademarking all that "Row the Boat" crap so that Minnesota had to buy that in addition to paying Fleck's buyout in K-Zoo.  
    When is Duke basketball paying us for The Brotherhood?

    Probably never.  A cursory google search for the term in association with college athletics suggests that it's too generic to be protectable by us or Duke or Army or . . . .
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Another choice to consider is Colleen Day. Former Miami player. She should be in the mix as well. 
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    Redsea said:

    After research seems like Big East womes basketball is a step down from the men (only two teams in the tournament) but Marquette is the best team

    Its still finding an identity.  For a long time it was UCONN and ND obliterating everyone else, which made it tough to get going.  But they are gone, so its more open. Depaul has been a good program for a long time, and Kieger, Marquette's previous coach turned Marquette around quickly.  Duffy has a ton of institutional support at Marquette and good resources, and the university is pretty amped up about WBB after a top 10 ranking this year and 3 straight tourney appearances.  She has to a replace a big senior class, but she's set up to be very successful moving forward
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I mean that is pretty bullshit. She was here for two (or three?) years, and signed an extension. No commitment to Miami at all.
    skin662xHawk
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

    I mean that is pretty bullshit. She was here for two (or three?) years, and signed an extension. No commitment to Miami at all.

    The vast majority of coaching commitments is to money. Pretty simple. If you make $200K and the competition offers $400 K, unless there are the occasional extenuating circumstances, you take the money.
Sign In or Register to comment.