Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Frozen Four

DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
Minnesota-Duluth won 4-1 (two open netters in the last 30 seconds) so they will be in the championship game for the third year in a row.  Right now it looks doubtful that we will have an all NCHC final again as UMass is up 3-1 with 13 minutes to go.  Denver got a 5 minute penalty late in the first period when they were up 1-0 and UMass turned it into 3 quick goals and that has been all the scoring.

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Denver scored with 9 minutes to go so only down 3-2 now.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Denver scored with a little under 4 minutes to go and we are tied at 3.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    UMASS in OT 4-3 >:)
    So, NCHC v Hockey East, is 1-1, better than an all Hockey East final!
  • twstws Off-Campus Slummer
    Hard to predict a score in the final.  UMass has scored 4 goals each game, winning 4-0, 4-0, 4-3(OT).  UMD has won 2-1, 3-1, 4-1.  Therefore if pattern holds, since UMass scored 4 goals in each contest, that is what they will score.  Since UMD has increased its score by one each game, UMD will win 5-4.
    moosedave67thechuck_2112MooreHawkQuinoaburgerDICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

I stayed up for it.  Refs passed up calling a 5 minute major on UMass with maybe 2 minutes to go in the game and both announcers, after looking at the replay, called out the refs for changing the way they had called the game just because it was late in a tie game.  That probably would have given the game to Denver, but not calling an obvious penalty probably gifted the win to UMass.
    dave67
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

dave67 said:

I stayed up for it.  Refs passed up calling a 5 minute major on UMass with maybe 2 minutes to go in the game and both announcers, after looking at the replay, called out the refs for changing the way they had called the game just because it was late in a tie game.  That probably would have given the game to Denver, but not calling an obvious penalty probably gifted the win to UMass.
    This. It was a clear penalty. Also, the refs absolutely refused to call anything in OT, for fear of “determining the outcome”. Never understood this. By not calling the penalties, you are helping determine the outcome by allowing one team to gain a slight advantage momentarily.
    Denver played bad for 3 minutes all game and that’s all it took to cost them the game.

• Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    1-0 Duluth
    2-0 end of 2
    2-0 end of 2 1/2
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Duluth seems way better tonight
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    edited April 13
    Nchc > hockey east
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
    edited April 13
    3-0 UMD Final.
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Hope you’re watching Miami, no reason why you can’t do the same thing!
    Hobie Baker winner not a factor for UMASS.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited April 13
    It would have been a much better game if Denver had made the final.  They were better than UMass, but the best teams does not always win.  NCHC is dominate in hockey, even more so than the SEC in football.
    dave67
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Scott Sandelin is the 8th coach in NCAA history to win 3 titles with one school. All titles have come since 2010.
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited April 14
    DICK said:

the best teams does not always win

Well overall, I think it’s safe to say the best team won this year.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited April 14
    muhawk said:

DICK said:

the best teams does not always win

Well overall, I think it’s safe to say the best team won this year.
    I was referring to UMass beating Denver; I do agree that Duluth is deserving of all their success.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Read my earlier comment. But Denver was better than UMASS, except for a 3 minute stretch, and it cost them the game. I’d easily say that the NCHC had 3 of the top 5 teams in college hockey this year. Duluth, Denver and SCSU
    DICK
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Cale Makar, who played defenseman for UMass just this past Saturday night in the national championship game vs UMD, signed a professional contract with the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday.  Makar was the #4 overall pick in the 2017 draft yet still played for UMass.  48 hours later, Makar has his first goal as a professional for the Avs.