Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

What if not Miami

RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
Here's something that was prompted by a friend. He asked me if I had not gone to Miami and been a life-long fan, what school would I rather have attended....and also remained a life-long fan. Made me think. What do you think?

Comments

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Enlisted in the Marines.
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    i think about this offen. My life would be infinitely better if i went to another D1 school that was good at athletics. i wouldnt be mocked at or laughed at by my friends for supporting this athletic programs

Plus i wouldnt be such an idiot
    bpatyanksalex
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    I was gong to study history at UVA but my family moved me across the country senior year of HS. Now I just use being an Air Force brat to my favor of almost always having some team I have some "lived there so they can be my home team" connection in a sporting event. :)

• DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    If my family could have afforded it, I would have taken my acceptance at Penn. I don’t think that would have helped my rooting interests all that much.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Actually briefly considered journalism at OU. *ducks*
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    IU
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Idiotfan said:

i think about this offen. My life would be infinitely better if i went to another D1 school that was good at athletics. i wouldnt be mocked at or laughed at by my friends for supporting this athletic programs

It’s become a running joke with my friends and family too, but I’m thankful for all the relationships I’ve built on here.

I would’ve gone to Penn State or UMASS.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

If my family could have afforded it, I would have taken my acceptance at Penn. I don’t think that would have helped my rooting interests all that much.

Ditto Cornell, instead became 2nd generation at Miami, and with grandson who's 4th generation.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Ohio State
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited April 12
    I’d have gone to Davidson. Money talks, though, and my parents were very clear about what they could contribute financially. In-state at Miami was fully covered between scholarships and my parents’ generosity. Davidson would not have been.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Pitt or Penn State. Each sister went to those schools.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    Was waitlisted at Michigan, wanted first semester grades of my senior year (got a 3.8, decently higher than my cum to that point), but was kind of tired of the process, was accepted and loved my visit to Miami, so I pulled the trigger.  Sports would have been more fun, but I think my college experience was way better.

CU is the big what if.  Liked the school, but couldnt wrap my head around going that far away.  Visited my freshman year GF who transferred there her Soph year, experienced it as a student and whoa.  Honestly, Miami is near and dear to my heart and I wouldn't trade my experience for the world, but CU truly felt more "me".  Likely would have been a sports nightmare too though, haha
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Realistically, Ohio State. That's where I was going before visiting Miami and earning a scholarship.
    But I was really interested in Washington in St Louis and, randomly in hindsight, Guelph.
    dave67 said:

DevilGrad said:

Ditto Cornell, instead became 2nd generation at Miami, and with grandson who's 4th generation.
    Ok, Andy Bernard.
    AORedHawk33thechuck_2112QuinoaburgerLove_and_Honor
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    edited April 12
    I have no idea. I was such a naive student in 1983-84 that Miami was the only school I applied to. It never occurred to me that I might not get in. I did visit OU during my freshman year at one point as I didn't feel at home at Miami and was having a very odd freshman year. 
    MacCracken
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Kentucky. Born in Lexington, my Mom was an alum, Grandfather and family friends lived there. I even had a dorm assignment before switching at the last minute.

I could have ended up an obnoxious, arrogant, bourbon swilling winner instead of an idiot.
    The_SackmanRe6H5wkDICK90skin
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited April 12
    I was waitlisted at my first choice, University of Chicago. After that it was a choice between paying ~$30k per year after scholarships to go to one of the higher ranked private schools URochester or Case Western, taking a full ride to go to NDSU, or splitting the difference with Miami. NDSU would have been way better from a sports perspective, but I was still able to graduate debt-free at Miami and I can't even imagine trying to compete on the job market these days only having a degree from a lower ranked state school. Rochester and CWRU are both D3 and as much as I like to rip on Miami athletics, I do really appreciate getting to turn on college sports and see my alma mater play. I'm happy with the decision I made.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Depends on what you want to do with your NDSU degree, I suppose.  Their engineering alums have a really strong network in the Twin Cities.
  • agcagc Havighurstite
    Idiotfan said:

Think about inviting your friends in Florida to watch MU vs UC after spending one week arguing with them that we are the true Miami ... and then we lose because CM does not know how to call a timeout ... I am still laughed at... But I wouldn't' change my MU roots for anything. My sceond option was UK
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    It was either Miami and their better curriculum and national reputation or a DIII school so I could play baseball. Probably Hanover College.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite

I was waitlisted at my first choice, University of Chicago. After that it was a choice between paying ~$30k per year after scholarships to go to one of the higher ranked private schools URochester or Case Western, taking a full ride to go to NDSU, or splitting the difference with Miami. NDSU would have been way better from a sports perspective, but I was still able graduate debt-free at Miami and I can't even imagine trying to compete on the job market these days only having a degree from a lower ranked state school. Rochester and CWRU are both D3 and as much as I like to rip on Miami athletics, I do really appreciate getting to turn on college sports and see my alma mater play. I'm happy with the decision I made.

U of C, NDSU, Case Western, and Miami....what a wild consideration set.  
    QuinoaburgerRe6H5wk
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    bpat said:

I was gong to study history at UVA but my family moved me across the country senior year of HS. Now I just use being an Air Force brat to my favor of almost always having some team I have some "lived there so they can be my home team" connection in a sporting event. :)

Ditto!  I too am an Air Force brat who had to move the summer before my Senior year in HS.  Maybe we are twin sons of different mothers!
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    All I cared about junior and senior years of high school was working and partying. I had solid grades and a strong ACT score, but no serious plans to go off to college at that time. Senior year I worked at a sporting goods store in the afternoon and nights as a newspaper pressman (Toledo Blade). I applied to Michigan, Miami, Findlay and Bowling Green. I got into the 3 Ohio schools, but ended up not attending, and kept working hard at the 2 jobs after high school. Had I gotten into UM, I probably would have gone as a few of my buddies and cousin went there. I ended up taking some night courses at Owens Technical College for a couple years after high school and kept working the 2 jobs.

By the time I turned 21, I had met a girl who was heading off to Miami in the fall, and I ended up marrying her her sophomore year, and moved down to Oxford with her and enrolled. Best decision I ever made.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Wittenberg. Also Ohio Northern, but I wasn't a fan of the campus.
    D1 sports and school size was actually a factor. I loved Wittenberg, but I thought D1 sports would be pretty cool to have. I took my tour of Miami on the Monday after Ben's first Super Bowl. I remembered Wally and the Sweet 16 from a few years before that. I wish I would have cherished watching the Penno shot at my friend's house my senior year. It was awesome, but I thought I would have plenty of those moments.
  • Both of my parents worked at Miami, so thanks to the tuition waiver there were no other realistic options.

Which is the same proposal I'll give my kids since I work at Miami as well.
    DICK
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>I have been, and still am, an IU fan since I was able to walk. But I would never have gone there.

I spent my first 2 years at Miami Hamilton and with some classes at Miami Middletown so I would have likely gone to Raymond Walters (Blue Ash) branch of UC to stay with the regional campus theme.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Probably UC...a taco bell...then a ditch.

Thank God I was spawned from a Miami merger.
    90skinmollautt
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    Blackbird said:

bpat said:

Ditto!  I too am an Air Force brat who had to move the summer before my Senior year in HS.  Maybe we are twin sons of different mothers!
    I still harbor some ill will towards my dad for the move. He didn't have to make it at the time, just did because he was/is selfish.
    edited April 12

I was waitlisted at my first choice, University of Chicago. After that it was a choice between paying ~$30k per year after scholarships to go to one of the higher ranked private schools URochester or Case Western, taking a full ride to go to NDSU, or splitting the difference with Miami. NDSU would have been way better from a sports perspective, but I was still able to graduate debt-free at Miami and I can't even imagine trying to compete on the job market these days only having a degree from a lower ranked state school. Rochester and CWRU are both D3 and as much as I like to rip on Miami athletics, I do really appreciate getting to turn on college sports and see my alma mater play. I'm happy with the decision I made.

I wanted to argue with you on this, but then I realized I didn't have a leg to stand on.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Nor does a sleeping flamingo. :)
    JCook32Re6H5wk