Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Jeff Boals at OU

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
Let's recap what Jeff Boals at OU has been doing in his short tenure at OU:

1. Has hired Lamar Thorton formerly on Boals staff at Stony Brook and before that grad assistant and video coordinator at University of Toledo. Thorton is from the Columbus area. Which leads nicely to #2. 

2. Has offered Ben Roderick WF from Olentangy Liberty and WG Morgan Safford. Both Central Ohio. In fact, Boals has offered 4 of the top remaining players from Central Ohio. Both 2019.  Zach Fleer on Twitter has been commenting on this quite a bit how Boals is becoming the recruiting force quickly in Central Ohio. Fleer has a picture up of the 4th Annual Interstate 270 Hoops tournament and notes 4 of the 5 in the picture have been offered by Boals. 

3. Boals on recruiting: "We're going to recruit high level kids, players. We're not going to be afraid to go against Ohio State, Xavier, Dayton, Indiana, whoever it may be. We just want to find guys with the right fit." He also has said "We are going to and prefer building our program with a young core that gets better". Meaning high school kids, not JUCOs. Not grad transfers. Now this year he may have some JUCOs or grad transfers since he has several players leaving but going forward his model will be HS kids.

4. He has also already offered '22 PG Sean Jones from Gahanna and '22 PF AJ Clayton from Philo. 

I bring this all up because this is exactly the area of Ohio Miami needs to be hitting hard. We were recruiting Roderick. We stopped when it was decided to pursue a JUCO instead. Now that JUCO does have 3 years he can play at Miami so close to a HS kid, but with one year of JUCO experience, so maybe that is ok. But we can ill afford to fall behind or fall further behind, OU and Jeff Boals in recruiting central Ohio. Clearly Boals is building a relationship with Fleer, who runs the 270 tournament and has many connections to HS BB in central Ohio.  I would love to see stories from Zach Fleer of Jack Owens hitting central Ohio. So far, not really seeing them. I hope that changes. 

Comments

• dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Noticed Miami not mentioned in para 3
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Neither is Purdue.
    dave67
  • IndyHawkFanIndyHawkFan Summer Orientee
    Owens has still been hitting Indiana pretty hard  - https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2019/04/11/recruiting-indystar-indiana-state-2019-player-rankings-trayce-jackson-davis-keion-brooks/3423621002/  - Nice comments on Curry but then several of the other top 20 kids had Miami offers.  It will take time to establish these relationships in Ohio, hopefully they are well on their way to doing so.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I used to live ten miles from Philo and it was enough of a pain in the ass to get to Philo from ten miles away that I can see why we aren’t recruiting there
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

I used to live ten miles from Philo and it was enough of a pain in the ass to get to Philo from ten miles away that I can see why we aren’t recruiting there

I spent a couple of night in Philo ( bike trips) and you can't get there from here ( unless you go over some really big hills).
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Boals just got a commit tonight from Marvin Price, 6'5" SF from Maryland. 3 star recruit with offers from Virginia Tech, Kansas State, Texas A & M, Georgia Tech, Depaul, George Washington, Oklahoma State, Boston College and others. So I don't know anything about biking to Philo, but this is a nice get for OU, albeit not in Central Ohio. But the points remain. 
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

dave67 said:

Neither is Purdue.
    Owens staff has Purdue owned on Twitter!! Regular bro fest.