Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019-2020 Expectations?

rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
Anyone have a feel for next season? I hope the team end at .500 or better.

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    We don't even have a full coaching staff yet; it's a bit too early to be figuring expectations for next year.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    If Tiger can come back, so can Miami Hockey  ;D
  • dave67 said:

If Tiger can come back, so can Miami Hockey

There are similarities -- it seems like the hockey program was driven into a tree once or twice.
    Swoop2005
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Yes, but lets hope it doesn't take that long.
    dave67
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

dave67 said:

Or cost $250M in buyout money.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

dave67 said:

We have won 1 tourney game in the past 9 years.

• 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    In listening to Berge’s interviews with Bake, I wouldn’t be shocked to see some additional departures. I know Rico tried to clean house a bit after last season, but attitudes in the 2nd half weren’t good. Berge did this at BG and he isn’t afraid to take a half step back to really move things forward.

I hope I’m wrong and everyone “buys in”, by the way!
  • Cup or bust
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Losing can get on anyone's nerves.
  • BubbaKBubbaK Summer Orientee
    Just saw this on Twitter

"Here's stat not public to many in the minor hockey circles - this regarding NCAA commitments. The U. Michigan Wolverines have 16 players who have committed to joining their program for September. The problem? - they only graduate two seniors from this years team. Discuss"

Currently, Miami has 21 players returning, and 14 commitments set to join in September.  I do not believe there are 35 stalls in that locker room.  
    Half of those committed, did so in the last 6 months.

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    A lot of Miami's were going to be delayed a year. Most hockey players don't jump to college at 18, but elite prospects still lists them with their year.
  • BonkBonk Havighurstite
    19goSkins said:

In listening to Berge’s interviews with Bake, I wouldn’t be shocked to see some additional departures. I know Rico tried to clean house a bit after last season, but attitudes in the 2nd half weren’t good. Berge did this at BG and he isn’t afraid to take a half step back to really move things forward.

I hope I’m wrong and everyone “buys in”, by the way!

I really thought so do but now I'm starting to wonder because Miami has its 2019-20 roster up with everyone back except Gruden and transfer Berry added.

If a number of heads were potentially on the proverbial chopping block, I think they'd have waited to post the roster. This is way earlier than it's ever been released (I always keep and eye on that during the off-season).

As for the OP's question, a Daschke-led defense should be OK and Larkin should be fine. I'm not that worried about defense, but scoring could be a major issue.

Hutton was a major offensive cog and Miami's top returning scorers among its forwards had 2018-19 point totals of 25 (Green), 16 (Bachman), 16 (Hawkinson), 12 (Gilling), 10 (Corbett).
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    The roster still lists Mannino and Beal as coaches, though.
  • BonkBonk Havighurstite

The roster still lists Mannino and Beal as coaches, though.

Saw that too. Technically they still are.
    Talked with some players last night at the Hockey Banquet and the consensus is that they are all in...
  • HighStreetBluesHighStreetBlues Senior Barfly
    I just hope everyone has a fun season and gets good grades. It's all about academics and the friends we make along the way.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Brett Murray allegedly no longer coming: https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahonCHN/status/1121412549814169602
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Wow, that's a big loss
    I thought he was the Holy Cross transfer, not Penn State...or is that someone else?
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    dave67 said:

I thought he was the Holy Cross transfer, not Penn State...or is that someone else?

You're thinking of Matt Barry. He enrolled at the beginning of the spring semester.
    Huge loss. New staff needs to keep recruits.
    Matej Pekar and now Brett Murray don't work out.  Both Buffalo draftees.  I wonder if the Sabres are telling Murray to go OHL instead to get to the big time quicker.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Fewer wins than we got this past season. It'll get worse before it gets better.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

We went 3 months without a win this year. What the fuck is worse?
    redhawk11skin66dave67
    Sure hope the team does NOT have fewer than 11 wins. The bar has been set very low.
    rexjack53 said:

Sure hope the team does NOT have fewer than 11 wins. The bar has been set very low.

I would be very happy if it's better, but no one should be the least bit surprised if it's worse.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

We went 3 months without a win this year. What the fuck is worse?
    We also were ranked. It was a weird season of very high highs and very low lows. We just ended on one of the lowest lows the program has ever seen though.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum

rexjack53 said:

I would be very happy if it's better, but no one should be the least bit surprised if it's worse.

I would not be surprised, but I certainly would be disappointed.
    KAMUOHIO