Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's World Cup

Comments

• 90skin90skin Senior Barfly

mollautt said:

Does anyone know what the spread is for the next game? Chile is even lower in the world rankings than Thailand.

=>Like baseball, there are no point spreads in soccer.

If there were, it would be like USWNT -4

I just did some research and apparently there are books offering US -4.5 for this game with the same return either way.
    We didn't cover
    Re6H5wk
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

mollautt said:

Does anyone know what the spread is for the next game? Chile is even lower in the world rankings than Thailand.

I just did some research and apparently there are books offering US -4.5 for this game with the same return either way.
    Why didn't anyone tell me that they were only playing the bottom of the bench today before I bet the over!!!
    AORedHawk33
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

mollautt said:

Why didn't anyone tell me that they were only playing the bottom of the bench today before I bet the over!!!
    I mean, the bottom of the bench for the US is Carli Lloyd, Christen Press, and Mallory Pugh. If the Chilean goalie didn't have an out of body performance it would've been like 6 or 7.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Seems like the Thai are fine with how the game went.

https://twitter.com/fifawwc/status/1140103454507094018?s=21
    AORedHawk33
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    https://mobile.twitter.com/AndrewDasNYT/status/1140567257707438080

An interesting twitter thread about the Thai team’s main benefactor.
    QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Embellishment is also translated in Portuguese, ala Brazilian football.
    Viva la France.
    MUHawk84
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!!!!
    Naeher has looked super shaky out there.

Naeher has looked super shaky out there.

=>First time she had been tested.

=>Spain confidence is growing each minute.
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Sheesh, the ref has really decided this game thus far.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    US has pretty much looked like shit all game, but a little understandable as they really haven't had a challenge so far (yes Sweden is good but we scored so early there). Hopefully we can close this one out and have our feet back under us for France on Friday...that's gonna be TOUGH
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    Their defense has been awesome whenever Spain's been on the attack.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Win is a win is a win is a win.
    =>Rapinoe, PK's aside, was not very good. Same for Morgan.

Sucks to win on 2 PKs which I did not think were 100% clear. That said, it would suck MUCH more to lose on 2 PKs which are not 100% clear.

WIN BY 13 goals or just 1, doesn't matter, USWNT advances either way.
    profholt82
    Ladies were already thinking about shopping in Paris instead of paying attention to Spain.
    mooseTruckCrew
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    China v Italy has been entertaining this first half. Italy leads but China has had far more offensive pressure.
    edited June 26
    Rapinoe has been the weakest link on the team so far this tournament (except for maybe Naeher) and it really sucks that Ellis won't be able to bench her now. And that's all I have to say about that.
    AORedHawk33
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

Rapinoe has been the weakest link on the team so far this tournament (except for maybe Naeher) and it really sucks that Ellis won't be able to bench her now. And that's all I have to say about that.

Any coach that lets politics determine who they play is not worth having as a coach.  The worst thing they can do to you is fire you from the coaching position, that is going to happen to almost every coach sometime anyway.
    AORedHawk33
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.
    has her play been that bad?

Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.

One puts their hand on their heart for the national anthem, and one doesn't.
    agcDICKmooseScalper
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Which doesn't make a god damn bit of difference.

agcelpalitoDICKredhawk11

=>In a rare moment of agreement with The Donald, Rapinoe is clearly in the wrong here.

dave67 said:

=>Symbolism over substance. Irrelevant in the end.

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

dave67AORedHawk33Blackbird
    mollautt said:

dave67 said:

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

This
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
    agcelpalitoDICKgrumpy1
    dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This
    Nah. If you're going to protest peacefully, do it where your message will be most widely viewed.

agcgrumpy1