Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's World Cup

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

dave67 said:

Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.

One puts their hand on their heart for the national anthem, and one doesn't.
    Which doesn't make a god damn bit of difference.

=>Symbolism over substance. Irrelevant in the end.

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

It's possibly worth noting that there's multiple teams playing at this tournament representing countries that literally criminalize Rapinoe's existence.
    agcredhawk11AORedHawk33mollauttgrumpy1
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    How about we just have a thread about the Women’s World Cup
    bpat
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum

How about we just have a thread about the Women’s World Cup

=>Rapinoe's actions are part of the WC. She has now made it part of the overall story.

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Rapinoe has been weak, but don’t think she’s been the weakest. She still has had some nice crosses and corners. She will definitely need to pick up her game tomorrow though.

Tomorrow’s game could be the most watched women’s game ever in the US...many other countries have broken records throughout tournament in terms of viewership.
    Mowch
    Spanks004 said:

Rapinoe has been weak, but don’t think she’s been the weakest. She still has had some nice crosses and corners. She will definitely need to pick up her game tomorrow though.

Tomorrow’s game could be the most watched women’s game ever in the US...many other countries have broken records throughout tournament in terms of viewership.

=>I am going to say NO to that for 2 reasons:

1. Afternoon game on a weekday means folks at work not watching.

2. It is still just a quarterfinal.

Had this game been the final at primetime, then it is possible.
    redhawk11
    mollautt said:

Spanks004 said:

=>I am going to say NO to that for 2 reasons:

1. Afternoon game on a weekday means folks at work not watching.

2. It is still just a quarterfinal.

Had this game been the final at primetime, then it is possible.
    I'm going to say yes, or very close to it. Even with previous day time matches, viewership has been high this tournament. This is the age of streaming, time of day doesn't mean shit anymore. Yes, its the quarterfinal, that doesn't downplay this should be the finals matchup, and people know that. Adding on the controversy with Trump sending out three tweets in response to one player, people will watch.
    grumpy1
    =>Good chance the winner of USA-France loses the semifinal? I can see a natural mental letdown for the winner vs. a good English team. Too much emphasis has been made for this quarterfinal even before the tournament began. And now there's just talk that the winner of this game wins the tournament. Just seems the semifinal is a trap.
    Spanks004 said:

25.4 million watched the 2015 final against Japan. They're not going to beat that at 3:00 ET on a workday. I'd definitely expect the record to be broken if we can make it to the final.
    redhawk11

Spanks004 said:

25.4 million watched the 2015 final against Japan. They're not going to beat that at 3:00 ET on a workday. I'd definitely expect the record to be broken if we can make it to the final.
    31 million watched Brazil in Brazil the other day...popularity has exponentially grown over four years for women’s soccer.
    Either way, with it being during day and every office of almost all my friends I know who mentioned their office is playing it, we will never know an actual number
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    mollautt said:

=>Good chance the winner of USA-France loses the semifinal? I can see a natural mental letdown for the winner vs. a good English team. Too much emphasis has been made for this quarterfinal even before the tournament began. And now there's just talk that the winner of this game wins the tournament. Just seems the semifinal is a trap.

England looking very good. Neither France nor US is a lock to win anything.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

Politics aside, Rapinoe and Trump are more alike than they are different. Both are very brash, outspoken, and seemingly have no filter.

That said, poor form to protest during the national anthem when playing for your national team. Much different than doing that crap during a club match.

This
    Nah. If you're going to protest peacefully, do it where your message will be most widely viewed.

I admit to a bias: The caskets of my father and several friends were covered with the US flag at their burials. Nobody has a right to protest at work; Given that she has been allowed to do this at her workplace, I question not her right to do so, but her judgment: Rapinoe’s virtue signaling will make many people less interested in supporting the US team. Whether she is right or wrong, she has placed her own ego above the team. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty of sympathetic media outlets who would be happy to give her a megaphone outside the games.
    Scalper
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This
    Nah. If you're going to protest peacefully, do it where your message will be most widely viewed.

I admit to a bias: The caskets of my father and several friends were covered with the US flag at their burials. Nobody has a right to protest at work; Given that she has been allowed to do this at her workplace, I question not her right to do so, but her judgment: Rapinoe’s virtue signaling will make many people less interested in supporting the US team. Whether she is right or wrong, she has placed her own ego above the team. It’s not as if there aren’t plenty of sympathetic media outlets who would be happy to give her a megaphone outside the games.
    Once again, it's not about the flag or patriotism.
    Bash_RiprockDICKRe6H5wk
    Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This

And many others in the military support what she and others are doing. So there’s that too.
    dave67grumpy1
    Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This

=>In Rapinoe's defense, her actions (twitter feud with The Donald) have been outside the national team.  She is no longer kneeling during the anthem.  The only in game protest, if it is a protest at all, is not singing the anthem.  I do not find that disrespectful.  It is quite common really.  For example, I never noticed any of Miami's hoops players singing the anthem (not that I am paying that much attention to it).

I agree that her actions do hurt the interest and support in the team.  In this uber partisan world we now live in, everyone is taking sides.  Those that do not favor Rapinoe's beliefs are more likely now to not support the team as a result.  That said, the loss of support is going to be negligible.   

I am also concerned about the precedent set by turning down White House invites.  I can see invites ending, particularly whenever there is a Republican president.  The progressive left have declared the GOP as all racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobes and The Donald is literally Hitler reincarnate.  There will now be pressure on athletes to be anti-GOP activists and take a stand by rejecting the invite.  Given the negative political controversy for a president to have an invite rejected, it would be politically expedient just to avoid the embarrassment by not making the invite at all.  Many athletes in the future will have lost a valuable opportunity.

Also, it only takes one Rapinoe or Krieger to state they will not be going to cause the controversy and ruin it for the rest of the team who may want to by honored by a visit to the WH.

In July, 2001, I got a chance to visit the West Wing, peek into the Oval Office, and briefly meet Dubya (wife's cousin was an assistant to the Chief of Staff).  Later that night I came back to the WH and got to watch 4th of July fireworks from the WH lawn.  It was a memory I will never forget.  This rare opportunity may be closed off to athletes in the future.

THAT ALL SAID, while are civil liberties and rights are under constant attack by an ever increasingly expanding gov't and regulations, this is STILL a free country.  Rapinoe still has, and should have, the right to refuse the invite and speak her mind.  If she believes the "greater good" is served by her rejecting The Donald's invitation > the negative impact it has on the following of the USWNT + lost opportunity of teammates and future athletes to be honored at the WH, then it is her right to act on that belief.

BEAT THE FROGS!            
    EDDIE
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    All I know is we have a game against France today, so let's beat those cheese-eating surrender monkeys!
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I've seen better Randy Orton poses, but Rapinoe gets an A for effort from me.
    Nice free kick by Rapinoe on that goal! France looks more skillful today, but the US has advantage on the counter
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited June 28
    Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This

This is a total swing and miss.  Her disgust and anger are not at the USA, not at our soldiers,   they are at the president.  It is about his bigotry and racism and lieing and bullying, etc.  Understand that half the country hates and dispises that man. Not just Rapinoe.  It does not mean that she loves our country any less than you do.  It is a matter of principle.  This is hard to discuss on here because we have Miami fans on both sides of this and in the middle.  We need to keep our respect for each other and all of our own deeply held opinions.
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockTruckCrewskin66DevilGradgrumpy1agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Boy, the French are dominating in the second half, but not scoring.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Rapinoe again
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

Rapinoe again

I think she's motivated, don't you?
    DICK
    Night and day for Rapinoe. As others said she’s been on the weaker side of this tourney, but she’s causing a lot of trouble on the outside flank today!
    AORedHawk33
    I guess the missed handball in the box makes up for the phantom offside call from earlier.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Unbelievable stoppage time killing. Textbook.
    Spanks004 said:

Night and day for Rapinoe. As others said she’s been on the weaker side of this tourney, but she’s causing a lot of trouble on the outside flank today!

4D chess? lol

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/020/925/4dchesss.JPG
    =>Rapinoe can tweet "Fuck Tod Mollaun right in his ear" as long as she puts 2 balls in the back of the net every game in these knockout stages.
    DICKredhawk11thechuck_2112AORedHawk33Spanks004
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

I've seen better Randy Orton poses, but Rapinoe gets an A for effort from me.

Bleacher Report saw your post

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1144725987629969409?s=21
    The_Sackman
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    grumpy1 said:

Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This

Then why kneel while the flag is honored? Also, the flag is not Trump.
    dave67EDDIEScalper
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

grumpy1 said:

Blackbird said:

elpalito said:

dave67 said:

mollautt said:

dave67 said:

This

Then why kneel while the flag is honored? Also, the flag is not Trump.

Well, I certainly do not want to kneel in front of ANY president or leader. (Not political, just a dumb joke).
    mollauttEDDIE