Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

CONCACAF Gold Cup

2»

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Very hopeful for the future with McKennie and Pulisic. Both were fantastic last night
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum

Very hopeful for the future with McKennie and Pulisic. Both were fantastic last night

Agreed. I also think Sargent will be in there as well. We have some young talent coming up. Perhaps earlier this year was getting used to a new system. So far it’s been a great tourney for the US. Sunday will be a true sign of where we stand.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Missed way too many chances in the first half. Also I'm not so sure about bringing in a LB when you're trailing with 8 minutes to go.
    AORedHawk33
    Puzzling moves by Berhalter, starting with giving McKennie the captains armband. That’s a lot to ask of a 20 year old kid in this game. You saw where his philosophy and tactics came back to bite him in the 2nd half.

And Michael Bradley stinks.

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    GERG Berhalter, IMO
    First half was so encouraging, almost 50% possession against Mexico which is something we would never see. Altidore HAS to finish that one on one with the keeper, that was very bad. Second half the team looked like shit, not impressed. Overall, the first few games of the tourney were better than the first few of the year under the new coach. Perhaps just took some time to get used to his style, but definitely saw some good flashes the last few games.
    Mowch
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Losers lost.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    edited July 8
    Spanks004 said:

First half was so encouraging, almost 50% possession against Mexico which is something we would never see. Altidore HAS to finish that one on one with the keeper, that was very bad. Second half the team looked like shit, not impressed. Overall, the first few games of the tourney were better than the first few of the year under the new coach. Perhaps just took some time to get used to his style, but definitely saw some good flashes the last few games.

Observations:
    1. Altidore still looks strong and owns his space but he seems to have lost a step or 2...seldom beats anyone to the ball.
    2. USA played without fear....played to win.  I can live with that as a start.
    3. Mexico had much better 1st touch, better passing with feet and head.  Developmentally we are still behind. 
    4. We are better at defending.

I am interested to see the team with Yedlin, Adams and Brooks.  We need someone to replace Altidore if we are to be a top 10 team. Hopefully those in the pipeline have talent and can take the next step.

I like Stefen, Cannon, Pulisic and McKennnie.  4 good young players...that is a start.  Looks like we have some good kids on the bench and coming up.  I hope they stick with Berhalter and get some continuity.  We were far more dangerous with Altidore up front....we will have to have someone with touch and vision to replace him in the next few years.  I don't see Josie in the next WC.
    AORedHawk33Quinoaburger
    Forget being a top 10 team... let’s qualify for the 2022 World Cup!

You just have to hope that these kids keep progressing in Europe and don’t take the easy road back to the MLS. They seem to have some dog in them which is encouraging... they definitely weren’t scared last night.

With that said... Stop me if you’ve heard this before: There is a lot to be excited about in the pipeline.

Forget being a top 10 team... let’s qualify for the 2022 World Cup!

You just have to hope that these kids keep progressing in Europe and don’t take the easy road back to the MLS. They seem to have some dog in them which is encouraging... they definitely weren’t scared last night.

With that said... Stop me if you’ve heard this before: There is a lot to be excited about in the pipeline.

Hey, at least we are a lock for 2026! Last I had read, back in April, FIFA was 50/50 on expanding the 2022 WC from 32 to 48 teams...2026 is already approved for 2026.
    CycloneAl
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    What are the ways the US can qualify for Qatar?
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

Every other team in the world gets the mumps.
    Re6H5wkLove_and_Honor
    Re6H5wk said:

Goes through CONCACAF qualifying and finishes top 3. 4th place team goes into a one game playoff against Oceania I believe
    Re6H5wk
  • aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    I think we have some really good U20s in the pipeline. Kids like Soto, Mendez, Richards, Gloster, Dest, Llanez, Weah, Sargent, Ledezma, Scott, and de la Fuente, just to name a few...I hope to see these names at work Cup qualifying time. Add in Adams, Pulisic, McKennie, Miazga, Brooks, Green, Holmes, Boyd, Stephen, Cannon, CCV (if he continues to develop), and Yedlin, and we might have something.
    I hope a lot of these names are gone by then: Bradley, Altidore, Trapp, Morris, Zardes, Ream, Roland, and Arriola (I like his heart but he’s a step to slow and too small for international play). But you never really know with GGG.
    Spanks004