Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

UConn to Big East

redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
edited June 22 in Rogue Boosters
I wonder if the MAC will invite them to join for football. Seems like a very MAC thing to do.

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I am so sick and tired of programs using the MAC as a football parking spot.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

I think most of us are too.

• RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Move in U Conn....Ravage us, savage us, beat us all to pulps....then accept invite into a P5 conference.

Who will be next? I'm betting on Liberty.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Those who land here temporarily consider it either Purgatory...or a launching pad.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited June 22
    The possible move would be to take UConn and UMass both for FB only.  Then you would have two 7 teams divisions, with BG likely moving to the West for football and there would be no need for protected rivalries.

UConn moving to the Big East brings Gina Auriemma and his women's basketball powerhouse back to the Big East and makes them a power conference again .  That will effect Megan Duffy's defending Big East champion Marquette Warriors.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    UConn's move to the Big East should be relatively permanent for all their other sports.  So conceivably they would be looking for a long-term football home.  
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    No way to UConn football. It'd be one thing if they were a consistent power, it's another since they're bottom of the barrel with little geographic relevance.

Bash_Riprock
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Given how terrible UConn football is both historically and currently, is there any chance they decide to just drop it if they can't get into a conference? There's no way they'd be able to get a BYU style TV deal.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    I believe that UConn so values its MBB and WBB programs that it believes that being independent in football is a better option than having a conference affiliation to protect football-- especially if the that conference affiliation is with a lesser conference.  It also appears that they value the travel costs for all other sports will give an additional reason for UConn to stay independent in Football
    I actually meant drop football rather than drop realignment. There's no way that football program would be profitable as an independent, is there?
    edited June 23

I actually meant drop football rather than drop realignment. There's no way that football program would be profitable as an independent, is there?

Not unless you are Notre Dame or one of the military schools.

of course, is it profitable for Miami (or other MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA...) to participate in FB under the current conditions?

Here is one opinion on what UMass needs - to join a conference.  12.17.17 ARTICLE FROM AMHERST WIRE

...even if UMass joins a conference, it is unlikely it will be profitable - - - unless its a P5 conference.
    MUHawk84
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

of course, is it profitable for Miami (or other MAC, Sun Belt, CUSA...) to participate in FB under the current conditions?

Here is one opinion on what UMass needs - to join a conference.  12.17.17 ARTICLE FROM AMHERST WIRE

...even if UMass joins a conference, it is unlikely it will be profitable - - - unless its a P5 conference.
    God bless UMass...their fan base and impression that athletic department is more delusional than UC’s

Could the AAC go after Northern Illinois to get the Chicago market?
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Could they go after Miami to get the Hamilton market?
    Bash_RiprockProfessor_FateLove_and_Honorgrumpy1
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

JiveHawk promised us NIU to the Big 10 was a done deal like 6 years ago.
    The_Sackman
    edited June 24
    yanksalex said:

redhawk11 said:

JiveHawk promised us NIU to the Big 10 was a done deal like 6 years ago.

Are we doing this again?

• "Firing Treadwell in the middle of the season is laughable and a nonstarter." -Bash Riprock
    • "John Cooper is the man for the job." -El13
    • "Armand Robinson is the next Hines Ward." -Bluesman
    • "The Cavaliers are idiots if they take Kyrie Irving with the #1 pick instead of Shelvin Mack." -Professor Fate
    • "Austin Boucher should be starting over Zac Dysert." -elpalito
    • "Croatia has 20 prospects just as good as Christian Pulisic." -trumpetdaddy
    • "A 33% two pointer is more efficient than a 28% three pointer." -skins
    • "Miami should look at hiring Dave Shula to be the OC." -El13
    • "A convincing win by Navy in the AAC championship game would justify moving them ahead of WMU." -AORedhawk33
    • "The 2017 men's basketball team will win a minimum of 11 conference games this season." -El13
    • "Is the Louisville prostitution scandal really that big of a deal?" -Quinoaburger
    • "John Cooper literally stole money from Miami by not resigning after year 4." -NWORedhawk
    • "The Yankees are a bunch of bums who can't beat Tomlin and the worst catcher in the league." -DSnyder15
    • "I don't know if hiring John Harbaugh would be a good idea. The last Miami grad didn't win a game in almost two years." -greggie76
    • "NIU is a legit Big 10 candidate." -JiveHawk
    • "I don't think I'm going to post much today about the game." -Bluesman
    • "Love Big Ben, but he kinda got us off track." -El13
    • "I didn't need to see Mrs. Crawford doing YMCA in her yoga pants with Swoop. Have some self-respect for cryin' out loud, your husband is the President!" -digitalhawk
    • "How about hiring this St. Mary's coach to replace Cooper?" -El13
    • *Posts a picture of Massive Headwound Harry immediately after a Miami baseball player gets taken off the field in an ambulance with a head injury* -The_Sackman
    yanksalexAORedHawk33thechuck_2112Professor_FateJCook32Love_and_HonorDICK
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I made the list! Dude was fine and Massive Headwound Harry is a great sketch. I regret nothing.

(does YMCA for the rest of the day)
    grumpy1
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Brett McMurphy is now reporting that the AAC, MAC, and C-USA all have no interest in football-only UConn. Seems like they will be an independent. I imagine their rivalry with UMass will be fierce?
    NickskinBash_Riprock

Brett McMurphy is now reporting that the AAC, MAC, and C-USA all have no interest in football-only UConn. Seems like they will be an independent. I imagine their rivalry with UMass will be fierce?

no fear though, the MAC teams will schedule home/home series with UConn to help keep them afloat.

They will play a best of 9 every year and each will also play 3 "non-conference" games in September.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

God bless UMass...
    their fan base and impression that athletic department is more delusional than UC’s

Yeah, those two guys are frickin' crazy.
    redhawk11
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    edited June 24
    Here's a question: if instead of having a humpty dumpty AD like Brad Bates we had someone over the same stretch of time who was able to improve our programs from their late 90s/early 2000s peak (let's say 8-10 wins a year in football with a New Year's bowl or two, 20+ wins a year in hoops with a Wally-like run every now and then, solid attendance across the board, good hockey, decent or better non-revenue programs) would we have a shot at an AAC invite now? I imagine not due to small market size and overlap with UC, though one can wonder.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

The possible move would be to take UConn and UMass both for FB only.  Then you would have two 7 teams divisions, with BG likely moving to the West for football and there would be no need for protected rivalries.

UConn moving to the Big East brings Gina Auriemma and his women's basketball powerhouse back to the Big East and makes them a power conference again .  That will effect Megan Duffy's defending Big East champion Marquette Warriors.
    In thinking more about this possibility, I realized that since we already have a longterm contract with ESPN, unless they were willing to add money for two more teams, all the other teams would have to take less to give UMass and UConn some of the TV money and also would have to give them a share of the annual football playoff money, so really adding any teams at this point would be a financial negative.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer

Here's a question: if instead of having a humpty dumpty AD like Brad Bates we had someone over the same stretch of time who was able to improve our programs from their late 90s/early 2000s peak (let's say 8-10 wins a year in football with a New Year's bowl or two, 20+ wins a year in hoops with a Wally-like run every now and then, solid attendance across the board, good hockey, decent or better non-revenue programs) would we have a shot at an AAC invite now? I imagine not due to small market size and overlap with UC, though one can wonder.

No. If you look at the AAC membership the smallest city represented is Greenville with a 180k metro area (it was Storrs previously). Even in a world where UC wasn't in the AAC to block us from joining, Toledo or Akron fit their profile better just in terms of Ohio MAC schools.
  • mpurdy22mpurdy22 Havighurstite
    The MAC could get creative. UCONN for football only, UMASS ALL sports and to balance out basketball with the UMASS add, you get a non-FBS school like Northern Kentucky or Southern Illinois or for the PA market a team like Robert Morris who has some NCAA tourney history 8 appearances and NIT bids as well.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Or we could just keep the league we have with decent rivalries and mostly reasonable travel costs.  Despite the mascot, UConn isn't a stray dog, and no one should feel obligated to give them a home.  
    JCook32MowchBash_RiprockQuinoaburgerskin66D_DayLove_and_HonorChiefPanic