Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Curry going Juco

RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
I think I just saw on twitter that Sydney Curry is going juco. Ouch.
Bash_Riprock

Comments

• laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Can we blame Megan Duffy for this?
    aba222
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Not good
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Not a shocker. Three high schools in four years, and academics (wanting  a better academic environment, I assume) was the reason for at least one of the transfers.

Just hope he has a great JUCO year (preferably not two years), and comes back to Miami.
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite
    This is not good.
    Nickskin
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    I don't know if anyone else has said this, but this is not good.
    JCook32
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Is there time to fill his scholarship spot, or will they keep it open for him?
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I believe we have already filled it. This lives us very thin in the post. And from reports on here Bam had some sort of surgical procedure. Our "big posts" were going to be Bam and Curry. I hope Curry does well in JUCO and comes to Miami but honestly, as I said to someone yesterday, I doubt we ever see him play for Miami. Hopefully I am wrong. 
    redhawk11digitalhawk
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    This is not good.
    Quinoaburger
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

Re6H5wk said:

I believe we have already filled it. This lives us very thin in the post. And from reports on here Bam had some sort of surgical procedure. Our "big posts" were going to be Bam and Curry. I hope Curry does well in JUCO and comes to Miami but honestly, as I said to someone yesterday, I doubt we ever see him play for Miami. Hopefully I am wrong. 
    Bam had his crotch removed.
    redhawk11Bash_Riprock

Bluesman said:

Re6H5wk said:

Bam had his crotch removed.
    That flesh-eating bacteria is really getting out of hand.
    Re6H5wk
    Re6H5wk said:

Miami replaced Curry with the transfer from Oakland
    Re6H5wk
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Being a Miami fan is very painful.
    NickskinAORedHawk33DICK
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Thought curry had to stay since he signed lettier thought the onlybif coach left are got fired
    greggie76 said:

Thought curry had to stay since he signed lettier thought the onlybif coach left are got fired

Players can get out of LOI's if they cannot qualify at a particular school or if they choose to NOT attend a 4-year school (go prep or Juco)

Do we know if this move was caused by failure to qualify academically or did Curry simply change his mind about Miami?
    laxdaddy said:

Do we know if this move was caused by failure to qualify academically or did Curry simply change his mind about Miami?

No clue.
    Nickskin said:

Re6H5wk said:

I thought the guy from Oakland was the staff’s feeble attempt to replace JAdaway. If this is to replace Curry, we’re might be truly f’ed. Bam and Precious are good but can’t carry the team. McNamara’s 1.9 boards per game won’t cut it. He’s actually more of a small forward. I had hopes with Curry in that we haven’t had a guy in a while that could score with his back to the basket.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Curry had all the makings of a tremendous MAC player.  Hopefully he gets his grades in order and attends.

** assuming that it's an academic issue
    aba222 said:

Nickskin said:

Re6H5wk said:

I thought the guy from Oakland was the staff’s feeble attempt to replace JAdaway. If this is to replace Curry, we’re might be truly f’ed. Bam and Precious are good but can’t carry the team. McNamara’s 1.9 boards per game won’t cut it. He’s actually more of a small forward. I had hopes with Curry in that we haven’t had a guy in a while that could score with his back to the basket.

If timing is anything to determine which players were replacements then I would suggest:

6-5 Adaway Left at the end of the season - - - Miami adds 6-5 G Josh Brewer April 18
    6-8 Curry doesn't enroll  - - - Miami adds 6-7 F Transfer Beck June 25

People who I wish still had a year of eligibility right now: Kevin Beard, Danny Horace, John Estick, Ira Newble, Alex Shorts, #33 Brian Edwards, Jamie Mahaffey, Devin Davis, Nate Schindewolf or Vandersluis, and Eric Van Buskirk.
    Nickskin
    laxdaddy said:

If it's the former, shouldn't that have been identified early on in the recruiting process?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

laxdaddy said:

If it's the former, shouldn't that have been identified early on in the recruiting process?
    At a midmajor, sometimes you take a chance to get a more talented player.  You hope that he will work and be able to qualify.  Sometimes that works out, sometimes it does not.
    agc
    He signed LOI in November. He might have thought he had it made and ignored academics the rest of the year. 18 year olds do crazy things.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    This is Braxton 2.0. He’s leaving for greener pastures.
    redhawk11
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Nation's top JUCO recruit (Jay Scrubb) plays at same place. Supposedly headed to Louisville or NBA (next year).
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Don't see Braxton 2.0 here. I was excited about Curry's potential, but had the nagging feeling that the was simply overwhelming his small school opponents with his size. He got some recognition, but missed out on some other awards. If it's academics, the point is moot, but I'll be interested to see if, in fact, he advances beyond JC.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

This is Braxton 2.0. He’s leaving for greener pastures.

Alex, do you have actual information that he is no longer interested in Miami or is this an educated guess?
  • RedhawkbballRedhawkbball Summer Orientee
    He didn't qualify academically thats why he went JUCO
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

He didn't qualify academically thats why he went JUCO

That's what many are speculating. Do you have any inside info?
    agc
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

laxdaddy said:

At a midmajor, sometimes you take a chance to get a more talented player.  You hope that he will work and be able to qualify.  Sometimes that works out, sometimes it does not.
    "Sometimes the morons we recruit to our top 100 national academic institution don't qualify based on grades"

After ten straight losing seasons, the excuses are getting awesome.