Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

New Basketball Floor

Comments

• As one era of losing and mediocrity is ushered out, a new one is ushered in.
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    Relieved it doesn’t say Boiler Up.
    mollauttThe_Sackmankillgas20Bash_RiprockRe6H5wkredhawk11Mowchyanksalexskin66Nickskinand 4 others.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    I like it.  The other was very dated.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Anybody have a picture of the floor when it had the realistic painting of the Miami tribe member at center court?
    Mowchskin66ScalperProfessor_Fate
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    edited July 19
    TruckCrew said:
    =>The stands are empty so it look pretty current to me.
    ChiefPanic
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    JohnnyMac said:

Anybody have a picture of the floor when it had the realistic painting of the Miami tribe member at center court?

If it is the one I'm thinking of, that would have been during my time - 1988-1992 - and it was only in place for a short time because it wasn't "realistic" in the sense that it depicted a guy wearing a full headdress, and the Miamis wear (at most) two ... or so I was told.  When the mistake was discovered they refinished the floor.  As I recall, it was only on the floor for a couple of weeks. (Its been quite a while ... I'm not entirely sure about the details on this.)
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite
    Unless a new floor was needed, this is a complete waste of money. Aesthetically, the old floor was fine. Lipstick on a pig...
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    I like it. It even includes the newly stylized symbol based on traditional Miami ribbon work.
  • VoxRedHawksVoxRedHawks Dodds God
    aba222 said:

Unless a new floor was needed, this is a complete waste of money. Aesthetically, the old floor was fine. Lipstick on a pig...

Old floor was not good at all. VERY much needed to be replaced!
    MowchChiefPanicaba222Professor_FateDICK
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    At least our Ohio state institution no longer has the state of Tennessee on our basketball court.
    ChrisW1980ChiefPanicRe6H5wkSpanks004RedHawks97
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    how about new year winning season? 

New year new look is lame.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

At least our Ohio state institution no longer has the state of Tennessee on our basketball court.

Arguably the dumbest thing that our braintrust has approved and that says a lot.
  • MHT_Meme_TeamMHT_Meme_Team Dodds God
    edited July 19

yanksalex said:

Arguably the dumbest thing that our braintrust has approved and that says a lot.
    Second only to allowing our head football coach to manage the calling of timeouts.
    The_Sackmanredhawk11NickskinyanksalexBash_Riprockkillgas20MooreHawkChiefPanic
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly

yanksalex said:

Was there ever an explanation as to what that actually was?  
  • mattinmmattinm Summer Orientee

I believe it was intended to be a tear. For a year or two the torn paper look was part of the branding look. Although the reference that it looks like the state of Tennessee is hilarious.

Ha, I never really noticed, but now that Alex mentions it it does look like the state of Tennessee, or possibly North Carolina.

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    It looks like Tennessee flipped over.

And yes, it was supposed to be a “tear” in the floor.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum

It looks like Tennessee flipped over. 

Butch Jones has fallen.  And he can't get up. 
    dave67
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    mattinm said:

I believe it was intended to be a tear. For a year or two the torn paper look was part of the branding look. Although the reference that it looks like the state of Tennessee is hilarious.

Shed a tear...or Rip Torn....or was it a trap laid by John Cooper seeking to "protect this wood?" Will we ever know for sure? I'd vote for the Vols.
    mattinm said:The_Sackman said:» show previous quotesArguably the dumbest thing that our braintrust has approved and that says a lot.Was there ever an explanation as to what that actually was?   I believe it was intended to be a tear. For a year or two the torn paper look was part of the branding look. Although the reference that it looks like the state of Tennessee is hilarious.

That's definitely what it was supposed to be. It also looked
    absolutely nothing like a tear in the court
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Always had the same thought. 

Why do you think Ryne Smith quit?
    redhawk11ChiefPanicRe6H5wk
    yanksalex said:

Why do you think Ryne Smith quit?
    I'm speculating here but I'm thinking Ryne didn't like the new floor renderings....wanted something with a Boilermaker on it.
    RHawksAlumni
  • miamialummiamialum Summer Orientee
    Not at all important but it’s time for the black in our branding to go. Our colors are red and white. Our brand looks sad and tired, like the football and basketball programs.
    TruckCrew
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    I like the old one better
    grumpy1DICK
    miamialum said:

Not at all important but it’s time for the black in our branding to go. Our colors are red and white. Our brand looks sad and tired, like the football and basketball programs.

How about the silver? Maybe the "Powers That Be" are aiming to switch totally over to Silver and Black and adopt the attitude of the former Oakland Raiders, the attitude adoption being the toughest part of the changeover.
    Renmanco said:

miamialum said:

How about the silver? Maybe the "Powers That Be" are aiming to switch totally over to Silver and Black and adopt the attitude of the former Oakland Raiders, the attitude adoption being the toughest part of the changeover.
    If we adopt the color of silver it would more likely be in tribute to our aging fan base.

redbear18Re6H5wk

Renmanco said:

miamialum said:

If we adopt the color of silver it would more likely be in tribute to our aging fan base.

Hey, I resemble that comment....well-played.
    DICK
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite

aba222 said:

Old floor was not good at all. VERY much needed to be replaced!
    What was wrong with it?
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Renmanco said:

miamialum said:

Hey, I resemble that comment....well-played.

Yep