Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Poll: What sport are we least likely to totally suck at?

yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
edited July 27 in Miami Memos
Things have been relatively quiet around here but we are only 5 weeks until football kicks off @ Iowa. Shortly thereafter, hockey and basketball will get underway.

We don't stand to be good in... any of them. So, let's show a little optimism. What sport do you think we have the best chance to not suck at? If you're totally convinced we're still going to suck at everything, the 4th option is for you.

I couldn't get the poll the embed, so feel free to vote here: https://linkto.run/p/RDRMF3Y6

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Beer Pong looking strong.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    E sports gets my fingers excited.
    agcmrgredhawk
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Synch skating...if it's actually a sport.
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    The Harry Potter stuff, with the broom and rings. We are pretty good at that
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Field Hockey and Volleyball will be strong.  I am curious to see how much help we can get out of our 4 new players in women's hoops ( 2 freshmen, 2 transfers).  If they are good, we have a chance to be good because we still have Dickerson and Kleusner for another year.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Even with the transfers I think MBB could surprise people. That’s about as much optimism as I can muster.
  • aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    Nice poll...thanks for doing it Alex. Field Hockey should be the bright spot of Miami sports this year. And I can’t believe I actually wrote that last sentence. What a bizarre time that we live in.
    Watching FB tapes from 1973-1975 should do it for me.
    Nescacdad
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    We are not likely to totally suck at football or men's hoops, there is plenty of experience and talent on both rosters.  The schedule and new QB could slow us down early in football and the lack of overall size may hurt us in hoops, but both teams should be very competitive and interesting.  Hockey has sucked the last few years, so the question will be how quickly the new staff can turn things around.
    QuinoaburgerChrisW1980
    In the last decade plus, we have come to accept "average" as just wonderful. 6 wins in football is greeted with great happiness and 15 wins in men's BB also merits high fives and fist bumps. This is the level to which we have sunk (rhymes with stunk).

We should be content only with 10+ wins in FB and at least twice that in men's BB....every year.
    Nickskin
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    edited July 28
    Renmanco said:

In the last decade plus, we have come to accept "average" as just wonderful. 6 wins in football is greeted with great happiness and 15 wins in men's BB also merits high fives and fist bumps. This is the level to which we have sunk (rhymes with stunk).

We should be content only with 10+ wins in FB and at least twice that in men's BB....every year.

Careful with the “we” thing young one. I have not been happy for a long time with both “major” teams in the same year. I do not want to be average any more than I want to be operated on by an average surgeon.
    I am ,after all, crotchety.
    dave67Nescacdad
    skin66 said:

Renmanco said:

Careful with the “we” thing young one. I have not been happy for a long time with both “major” teams in the same year. I do not want to be average any more than I want to be operated on by an average surgeon.
    I graduated in your era...so I'm only being kind to the younger generation. In truth, we have sucked for far, far too long based upon my standards and experiences. Our athletic department is viewed by the Board of Trustees like a chess club....of really no interest to them. If they really cared (which they do not) they'd raise holy hell and realize (which they do not) that a successful department is key to fundraising...and I'm talking about major sports...not the stuff that "enables" us to win the Reese's Pieces Trophy in front of basically no fans.
    NickskinagcyanksalexChiefPanic
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said: skin66 said: Renmanco said:In the last decade plus, we have come to accept "average" as just wonderful. 6 wins in football is greeted with great happiness and 15 wins in men's BB also merits high fives and fist bumps. This is the level to which we have sunk (rhymes with stunk).

I graduated in your era...so I'm only being kind to the younger generation. In truth, we have sucked for far, far too long based upon my standards and experiences. Our athletic department is viewed by the Board of Trustees like a chess club....of really no interest to them. If they really cared (which they do not) they'd raise holy hell and realize (which they do not) that a successful department is key to fundraising...and I'm talking about major sports...not the stuff that "enables" us to win the Reese's Pieces Trophy in front of basically no fans.

That's the Reese's
    and the Piece's trophy to you. We won both!
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    This was a good poll, Alex.  It was hard to make a decision on it-'we suck at everything' was in the running for me.  But I am an optimist, so I picked football-granted, we will very well be 1-3 or worse by the time the MAC season rolls around, but I think we can salvage something in the MAC.  It will take a few years for hockey to come around, but I think it will.
    redhawk11thechuck_2112DICK
    yanksalex said:

Renmanco said:

skin66 said:

Renmanco said:

That's the Reese's and the Piece's trophy to you. We won both!

I should have been a bit more clear. The "we" accepting our 6 win FB and 15 win men's BB results was really intended to be the "standard" apparently found acceptable by our administration. Most fans, especially those of us with some history to recall, do find "average" unacceptable. It was B2 who told an assembled group of alums in an invited setting many years ago at Yager that Miami had the opportunity to be the next Boise....the clear point of his words and subsequent discussion was all about football.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    edited July 29
    Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

Renmanco said:

skin66 said:

Renmanco said:

I should have been a bit more clear. The "we" accepting our 6 win FB and 15 win men's BB results was really intended to be the "standard" apparently found acceptable by our administration. Most fans, especially those of us with some history to recall, do find "average" unacceptable. It was B2 who told an assembled group of alums in an invited setting many years ago at Yager that Miami had the opportunity to be the next Boise....the clear point of his words and subsequent discussion was all about football.
    Wait, are you telling me that Brad Bates said something superficially attractive that upon reflection turned out to be completely full of shit?  I'm shocked.  
    AORedHawk33redbear18
    DevilGrad said:

Renmanco said:

yanksalex said:

Renmanco said:

skin66 said:

Renmanco said:

Wait, are you telling me that Brad Bates said something superficially attractive that upon reflection turned out to be completely full of shit?  I'm shocked.  

True...and pretty ludicrous. Equally off the wall, there was some serious discussion" (again, initiated by B2) about leaving the MAC and spearheading the formation of a new conference. In both cases, there was no follow-up. So we remain who we thought even back then we were.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    aba222 said:

Nice poll...thanks for doing it Alex. Field Hockey should be the bright spot of Miami sports this year. And I can’t believe I actually wrote that last sentence. What a bizarre time that we live in.

Didn't we lose our top or top two players? Field Hockey might actually have a down year compared to the last two
    Mowch
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Field Hockey will just reload!
    grumpy1Professor_FateChrisW1980
  • aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    Spanks004 said:

aba222 said:

Didn't we lose our top or top two players? Field Hockey might actually have a down year compared to the last two
    They did lose their 2 best player (probably the best player in Miami FH history), but they were fairly deep. And as Dick indicated, they capitalized on the NCAA tournament run and signed some high profile international players. Go Women’s Field Hockey!
    Bash_Riprockskin66killgas20
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Overwatch, probably
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    aba222 said:

Spanks004 said:

aba222 said:

They did lose their 2 best player (probably the best player in Miami FH history), but they were fairly deep. And as Dick indicated, they capitalized on the NCAA tournament run and signed some high profile international players. Go Women’s Field Hockey!
    interesting, i had talked to one of the coaches at one point and seemed like potentially a down year. Paula I think was well over 50% of offense...but hopefully it's reload and not rebuild