Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Then Why Were They Practicing There???

EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
"AJ Green tore ligaments in his ankle practicing at the University of Dayton’s Welcome Stadium, as part of NFL’s 100th-anniversary celebration. Field conditions were considered subpar; more scrutiny expected over decision to practice there. Green expected to be sidelined 6-8 weeks."

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    They must really want Tua.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    UD Flyers play there and I had not heard complaints...  Actually, the reason they practiced there is involved.  The NFL wanted to build a field on the site where the Dayton Triangles played the first NFL game ever and had the Bengals schedule their first practice there.  However, it turned out the site was an Indian burial ground so that idea is on hold and as a result they moved it to the biggest football field in Dayton, which is Welcome Stadium.
    Professor_Fate
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    In the past, the Bengals have practiced at West Carrollton High School, you can see if from I-75.  Not a big place.  But if the Bengals wanted a better facilitity, they could have come to Fairmont or Centerville.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    The curse of "Mighty Mike Brown" continues.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Fairmont, Centerville, Springboro, and more....so much better.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    edited July 28
    EDDIE said:

Except those aren’t Dayton. And the NFL wanted it in Dayton because of the ties to the 100th anniversary.

The Bengals tried nice in the sandbox with the NFL (could you imagine the reaction to the headline of “Bengals spur NFL request, decline to practice at site of first NFL game”) and had an unfortunate injury.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    TruckCrew said:

EDDIE said:

could you imagine the reaction to the headline of “Bengals spur NFL request, decline to practice at site of first NFL game”
    I personally was unaware of this whole event until the injury. I doubt anyone would have cared. I'm still unsure what a practice in Dayton does to celebrate 100 years. Maybe a special preseason game would.

redhawk11EDDIERedskin89
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    The NFL is fooling itself if it thinks anyone cares about its ancient history. In this regard, they ain’t baseball.
    TruckCrewmollautt
  • BalconyHawk87BalconyHawk87 Summer Orientee
    I was there, blaming this on the turf is stupid.  AJ and Kirkpatrick were contesting a catch on the sideline and AJ and Kirk both landed awkwardly.  Looked like they were going awfully hard for the first practice.
  • TJDubsTJDubs Summer Orientee

Looked like they were going awfully hard for the first practice.

This is the time of year the Bengals' effort peaks.
    DICKgrumpy1
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    The Cincinnati media says the Bengals cleared the field as acceptable prior to kick off.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Knowing the Bengals, the field rental must have been a real bargain.
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    Also the Jazz Festival was at Paul Brown all weekend, so not sure they could have practiced at PBS Saturday anyway