Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Loudest crowd you've seen at a Miami game?

Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
A home game in person just to be clear.

Football: UC, 2017
Basketball: Dayton, 2014
Hockey: OSU, 2013

Comments

• moosemoose Senior Barfly
    Hockey I’d think either 2 in 22. Or when Michigan came in for the #1/#2 series.

Football I’d say when Ben smoked Marshall on one of those weekday night games.
    Mowch
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Football-Marshall when R Moss played here
    Basketball -many of the games in Withrow were unreal, but OU or Marshall brought out the best or worst of us depending on how you look at it.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    Football - Marshall 1997 - Randy Moss & Chad Pennington

Basketball - Kentucky 1968 - opening of Millett

Hockey - Michigan 2008 - #1 vs #2
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    I'm going to make a distinction between loud and fanatical/party-like atmospheres:

Loudest
    Football:  2003 vs. BG.  We had the video board up that was mainly just used for graduations and it showed the team coming out of the locker room and toward the field before the game.  Everyone was already fired up (student section was full at least an hour before gametime), so the noise just rose and rose until it hit the peak of a loud crescendo when the team came out.  It had been loud at Yager the whole year, but never that loud.

Basketball:  2002 vs. UD.  We were up double digits in the 2nd half and we got a turnover.  Chet led the break and unexpectedly (especially at a Miami game), bounced a no look pass behind to a trailing Danny Horace for a huge dunk.  Glorious.

Hockey:  2004 vs. Ohio St.  I think it was senior night and we came from behind to win in overtime?

Fanatical/Rowdy/Party-like
    Football:  2003 vs. Marshall.  The BG crowd was larger and louder at the beginning, but the intensity in the crowd for this game was more palpable.  Even as the crowd thinned as the weather changed, those who stayed wanted a complete beatdown.

Basketball:  2000 vs. Temple.  Down 10 early I think, we shot an absurd percentage the last 30 minutes, Temple cooled off and we won by 10.

Hockey:  2003 vs. Michigan.  Michigan was highly ranked, we hadn't beaten them in awhile.  And on a Friday night, we destroyed them.  With each goal, it was almost laughable the way we beat them.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Football: 2016 against either OU or Ball State
    M Basketball: 2014 Dayton or 2015 Kent State
    W Basketball: One of the games where they bus in middle schoolers
    Hockey: There was a game against Omaha (I wanna say 14-15) where we won like 8-2 and a massive brawl broke out
    Baseball: The road Miami crowd for the 2018 opener @ ASU that we won was probably louder than any home crowd I've seen at a Miami game
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    Loudest game in last 4 years for football had to be the UC game in 2017
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Football:  1997 against Marshall
    Basketball:  Tie between Xavier in 1997 or Tennessee in 1998
    Hockey:  2008 Michigan (Friday game)
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    edited August 2
    Football: Marshall 2003
    Basketball: UC 1993
    Hockey: Michigan February 2006
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    One moment stands out to me, 2002 football vs Akron.  Charlie Frey vs Big Ben.  Akron took the lead with a FG with 9 seconds to go. We took a fair catch on the kickoff on the 20 so still 9 seconds tp go.  We threw a sideline out of bound completion on our own 30, maybe 3 or 4 seconds to go.  We ran our version of the Hail Mary ( played called Big Ben).  Pass blocking was good and Ben moved around a little to allow our wr's to race downfield, then ran toward the line and launched a long high bomb.  It came down around the 5 with one Miami wr and two Akron backs going up for the ball, which glanced off of them into the hands of Eddie Tillitz who was racing by looking for the deflection.  Touchdown!  There might not have been more than 3,000 Miami fans left, but every single fan, player, announcer, ball boy, etc. was standing up jumping up and down and screaming.  People uptown stopped what they were doing because they heard it loud and clear up there. 

It ain't over Tillits over!!

The 1993? Miami hockey overtime win over Michigan in Old Goggin ( might have even  been #1 vs #2)  Over 7,000? tried to attend the game (this was the original impetus for thinking about building a new arena).  It was also the night where for the first time Miami made its mark as a national hockey program.

The final home basketball game of Ron Harper's career in Millett Hall.  We had to beat CMU, coached by Charlie Cole and led by Dan Majerle, to win the MAC.  Down 12 with 2 minutes to go and no shotclock, Ron Hunter and Ron Harper made play after play and with the entire arena screaming Central missed several clutch free throws.  I still have a picture in my house of Harper sitting on top of the backboard as students and fans are celebrating on the court.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Football was probably Marshall in 2003...additional seats added for those Roethlisberger days. Hockey was either 2 in 22 in the old Goggin (tiny venue so easy to be loud), or the opening game in the new Goggin, or Mich
    JCook32
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    DICK said:

One moment stands out to me, 2002 football vs Akron.  Charlie Frey vs Big Ben.  Akron took the lead with a FG with 9 seconds to go. We took a fair catch on the kickoff on the 20 so still 9 seconds tp go.  We threw a sideline out of bound completion on our own 30, maybe 3 or 4 seconds to go.  We ran our version of the Hail Mary ( played called Big Ben).  Pass blocking was good and Ben moved around a little to allow our wr's to race downfield, then ran toward the line and launched a long high bomb.  It came down around the 5 with one Miami wr and two Akron backs going up for the ball, which glanced off of them into the hands of Eddie Tillitz who was racing by looking for the deflection.  Touchdown!  There might not have been more than 3,000 Miami fans left, but every single fan, player, announcer, ball boy, etc. was standing up jumping up and down and screaming.  People uptown stopped what they were doing because they heard it loud and clear up there. 

The 1993? Miami hockey overtime win over Michigan in Old Goggin ( might have even  been #1 vs #2)  Over 7,000? tried to attend the game (this was the original impetus for thinking about building a new arena).  It was also the night where for the first time Miami made its mark as a national hockey program.

The final home basketball game of Ron Harper's career in Millett Hall.  We had to beat CMU, coached by Charlie Cole and led by Dan Majerle, to win the MAC.  Down 12 with 2 minutes to go and no shotclock, Ron Hunter and Ron Harper made play after play and with the entire arena screaming Central missed several clutch free throws.  I still have a picture in my house of Harper sitting on top of the backboard as students and fans are celebrating on the court.
    DICK said:

I immediately thought of the Harper-Majerle game.  One of the greatest memories in all my years of following sports.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I was in the press box area for the Randy Moss Marshall game vs Miami. There was an unusual number of pro scouts specifically watching Moss. Moss played a great first half but then "packed it in" during the second half. Why you might ask, At halftime, the scouts had seen enough to file their reports and most, if not all of them, left Yager. Apparently, word got to Moss that his "fan club" had departed so he performed accordingly thereafter.
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    I say miami football when iowa played her when Ben was a red shirt sophomore
    Re6H5wkJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    2003 BG
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Agree with IOWA
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Agree with Dick on BB. Miami vs. CMU. Harper and Majerle.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly

2003 BG

Ditto. The Marshall game that followed was great, but owed some of the excitement to the BG game. Can still see the end zone bleachers erupt when Suisham yanks his fg attempt.
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    It’s funny how 2003 football is kind of a blur for me since it was my freshman year and we were so good that I didn’t have a reference for anything less than that. At the time, it all seemed “normal”, because I didn’t know any better. I remember the BG game, particularly Ben’s play fake that still has D backs jumping, but I don’t associate that game with being loud, probably because it didn’t seem out of the ordinary. Little did I know how far and fast we would fall...

My loudest BB memory is probably Penno’s 2007 buzzer beater against Western Michigan. In reality, the attendance was probably crap and it wasn’t actually that loud, but in that moment it seemed deafening, probably because the 150 or so die hard students that were there went insane.

• Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited August 3
    Basketball - March 2, 1985;  Ohio U. came to Oxford with a conference-leading record of 14-3 for the last game of the regular season. Miami was 12-5, so the regular season championship was already determined, but that didn't stop Miami from winning a 67-66 thriller before a crowd of 9,842.

The two teams met a week later in the MAC tournament final. OU won 74-64. Miami ended the season at 20-10, but received the MAC's first ever at-large bid to the NCAA tournament.

skin66
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    edited August 3
    Western Michigan at Miami - Goggin - January 21, 2006

• nyredhawknyredhawk Summer Orientee
    1974, November, final game of the regular reason against Kent State. The undefeated Redskins gave up a touchdown to Kent with a minute to go, to trail 17-16.

Miami that season with loaded, with future NFL running backs in the same backfield, Sherman Smith was the wishbone QB and Rob Carpenter was the halfback. Fullback wasn't bad either in Randy Walker. We had an All-American anchoring the defense in Brad Cousino and Dick Crum was in his first year as a head coach. Smith was not a great passer and oftentimes Steve Sanna would come in when we needed a passing play. This might have been the greatest team in Miami history and was part of a three-year span from 1973-5 where Miami went 32-1-1 (the tie was with Purdue). It was my freshman year and the place was filled because a win would give us another MAC title.

It was seesaw battle and Miami wasn't having a great game but this was a magical year and the ending was indicative of the other worldly run the Redskins were in.

After Kent went ahead Miami came out. A trick play saw Walker throw a pass to Smith who scampered around 30 yards and we all wondered whether they would win the game. Our field goal kicker Dave Draudt was the lone disappointment that season, missing an extra point that would have resulted in a win against Purdue rather than the tie. Earlier in the game he also missed an extra point. I know I thought we'd find some way to get into the end zone but as luck would have there was Draudt on the field with one chance to win the game. 

The goalposts were in the closed end of Miami Field and Draudt was able to coax the ball through the end zone. Miamiams, who usually only cheered when OSU scored as they listened on their transistor radios, exploded in joy. People an on the field (if memory serves) and the only time I had ever been in a stadium was in 1969 at Shea Stadium and 1969-70 in Madison Square Garden during the Knicks first championship run. It is a game I'll never forget.

The next season we lost one game and beat an SEC team for our third straight Tangerine Bowl victory. Those were great times.
    Professor_FatesocalhawkJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    This was VERY loud. Oh. You said a game? Never mind.

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited August 4
    I agree with NyRedHawk on the 1974 Kent game being the most exciting home football game I have experienced. The place went absolutely nuts after Miami won and we all swarmed the field. Old Miami Field only seated 14,900 but there was a SRO crowd that day and it was loud!
    socalhawk
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Basketball:  1978 (?) vs. North Carolina in Millett.  Unbelievable all game long.
    grumpy1DICK
  • socalhawksocalhawk Senior Barfly
    edited August 4
    Blackbird said:

Basketball:  1978 (?) vs. North Carolina in Millett.  Unbelievable all game long.

Agree.  I think it was '76, my last year in school.   NC was rated #3 at the time.   Maybe the highest rated team to ever play at Millet??  Was back and forth until the end when the Tarheels ended up winning by 2.   I think NC had 4 or 5 NBA first round draft picks on that team.
    grumpy1
    Yeah I was at that NC game...fantastic game except for ending. Many alums here have never had the privilege of attending at game at Millet with almost 10,000 fans on hand.....pretty cool.
    socalhawk
    As I recall the zebras called a foul on Miami with seconds left (or maybe even at the buzzer I cannot remember), and Phil Ford drained two free throws to win the game for the Tar Heels. If my recollection is off, someone here can correct me.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Phil Ford also with a key late steal. Kupchak and LaGarde were huge. I always thought Davis was the most talented player.

And remember...WMU was pretty good too!
    edited August 4
    Eddie I was also in attendance for the big WMU game in 76...another huge crowd at Millet for that one. WMU was too much for us that night and I think we ended up losing by about 10 points. WMU went on to 25-3 record and the sweet sixteen that year and finished 10th in the final AP Top 20 poll.
    EDDIE
  • FormerTownieFormerTownie Summer Orientee
    I agree with the UNC basketball game, and the Kent State football game.  Those were awesome to be a part of!  Still, nothing seemed to get the noise and competitive juices flowing better than a Miami-UC basketball game in Millett in the mid- to late '70s.  Gale Catlett vs. Darrell Hedric.  Pat Kennedy vs. Aldridge/Ayers/Shoemaker & company.  These games were played to packed houses particularly because UC was ranked and their fans came to Oxford in droves.  The game in 1976 (which is still the highest attended game in Millett history) was insane!  UC fans filled at least 1/3 of Millett and were very raucous.  I just remember sitting there with my parents and actually feeling nervous and a bit scared.  The energy was off the charts!!  
     The UNC game was amazing, too, especially because Miami almost pulled off the upset.  That would have been legendary!
    socalhawk