Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Fall Camp 2019

Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
Starting a thread to post updates/videos/pictures throughout Fall Camp. Team reported yesterday and began practice today. All practices are 9-11 am and open to the public. Here are a few storylines I'm looking forward to following over the next month:

1. Obviously the QB battle. Martin has already alluded to the idea of playing both QBs early in the season, so while it might not be decided in camp, it'll still be interesting to follow.

2. Depth at LB. Losing Koenig is obviously going to sting. McWood and Reid got their fare share of playing time down the stretch last season and will now be full time starters. While they should be solid, it's the depth behind them that is relatively unknown.

3. DL: with Trawick and Duffin moving on, this team will need to find a couple bodies to help solidify the interior of the line.

Day 1 report from Coach Martin:

Comments

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    We’ve treated the non conference schedule like preseason football for the last couple years. Might as well play both QBs and see who performs well under the lights.
    redhawk11JCook32
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    edited August 3
    Mayer threw some nice passes today, looked good. Maize is back and he has put on some weight, he will be a big boost to the DL interior. Rugamba looked impressive today as well and Jayden Russell looks like he has been playing at Kansas for a couple of years, hard to believe this kid is a true freshman. Realize this is day one, but saw some good things at practice today.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • UptownHawkUptownHawk Dodds God
    Recent addition to the 2019 class Jayden Russell from Overland Park Kansas. 3 star defensive back that one service ranked as the best defensive back in Kansas in his class. He originally committed to Kansas over Iowa State, Kansas State, Duke and Boston College according to the Kansas site. Apparently he was let out of his commitment when Kansas ended up with too many bodies in their recruiting class. Welcome!
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    edited August 3
    Honestly, after listening to Martin in that video I like him even less than I did before.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Honestly, after listening to Martin in that video I like him even less than I did before.

Honestly, how did you like him at all before it?
    agcBash_RiprockCAredhawk13
    I don't mind admitting that I'm still pulling for CM to get this right. I certainly don't love everything he says, but as he said at the end of his interview the other day, he speaks his mind and I can at least respect that. I think the "idiot" comments were blown way out of proportion, but it still wasn't a great look for Martin. I genuinely think the players still enjoy playing for him and he has had success in the MAC recently (as he loves to reiterate).

The line in the sand seems pretty well drawn among Miami fans when it comes to CM. I can certainly understand why some want to move on from him, and I won't be crushed if that happens sooner rather than later. I guess the bottom line is I just want a Miami to win, no matter who is coaching.
    JCook32DSnyder15HawksGrad18DICK
    Coach Martin provides a breakdown of the RB position:

https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1158035122471370752?s=19
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    edited August 6
    I am still hoping for success in the Martin era, too. Unfortunately, this would seem like the litmus test year for that to happen. Like everyone else, I don’t expect us to be any better than 1-3 going into the MAC but 2-2 and not looking totally outclassed at any of the big three games would be very important. Anything but a crushing of Tennessee Tech would be a disaster. Running the MAC and /or finishing 7-5 with a bowl bid would almost certainly buy another year with a bit less daunting schedule in 2020. While the uneven playing field that P5-G5 has become will probably always inhibit our ability to pick up many more Tomahawk wins, I do think our ultimate goal now should be to try to be one of the best terms in G5 every year.
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Dodds God
    Martin just survived a 6-6 season no bowl game with the most experienced team in college football, and called the long suffering fans and media idiots.

Hes going to be back another year.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Idiotfan said:

Martin just survived a 6-6 season no bowl game with the most experienced team in college football, and called the long suffering fans and media idiots.

He's in a contract year. It's now or never.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I believe his extension was through 2020.
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Dodds God

Idiotfan said:

He's in a contract year. It's now or never.
    Nope. Signed to Janary 2021

Two more years of idiocracy
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Shit
    I mean I think his contract length is more just semantics at this point. IIRC Sayler structured the extension to make firing CM as least prohibitive for Miami as possible.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum

I mean I think his contract length is more just semantics at this point. IIRC Sayler structured the extension to make firing CM as least prohibitive for Miami as possible.

It was structured to make it as affordable as possible to fire him *last year*. If we fire him this year we're on the hook for his entire salary next year minus whatever his next salary will be (which, barring a P5 coordinator job, is probably going to be minimal).
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Who would Miami get if he's fired? Not like this the top MAC job that it once  was.

JCook32
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Who would Miami get if he's fired? Not like this the top MAC job that it once  was.

I don't really believe this. The last several years we have had one of top few classes in the MAC, we have the academics, the facilities, beautiful campus, and history...I do think we could still get someone good.
    JiveHawkskin66ScalperDSnyder15
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    rexjack53 said:

It gets tiring of hearing this.

There are only 130 Div 1 FBS head coaching jobs.

There a plenty of high quality football coaches who would do almost anything to get any one of those jobs not to mention one at the Cradle of Coaches. Yes, we are never going to attract a top name for this job.  However, how many knew the name Woody Hayes, Ara Parseghian, Bo Schembechler, Bill Mallory, Dick Crum, Randy Walker or Terry Hoeppner before they took the Miami job.

The jury is still out on whether Chuck Martin will ever be considered anything close to those names. However, he took over a Miami program that was in much worse shape than any of the above had to. None of us is happy with where we are but it is indisputable we have made a lot of progress against the rest of the MAC since Chuck took over. 

I am still hopeful that Chuck can get the job done. I like the fact that we have generally always gotten better during the course of the year. I like the fact that our players have never quit despite the adversity. I like the fact that he recruits kids who really want to play football and improve themselves on and on the field. To me, that says a lot about the coaching.

However, I don't worry that if we don't continue to see progress with Martin that we can't get an excellent replacement. We are not OSU, Michigan, UNC or even Northwestern. However, a coach who wants to coach at those schools has to prove they can win somewhere else. I can't think of a better place to do that than at Miami. We would not be the Cradle if that had not been the case for close to 75 years. Nothing has changed. 

RedseaScalperDSnyder15Love_and_Honora26daveAORedHawk33DICK
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Laxdaddy...AMEN!. 

Your note just got better as it went along. Thank you.

Is he Coach Martin Cradle of Coaches material? Not close...but what you say is true. First don't see mass defections headed out. That speaks to how the team respects him. As well as everything being a Miami grad brings. They do seem to get better as the year goes along and in our league they're certainly better than most. And yes...we need to be better than all of them and make it sometime soon! 

They need to close the gap on the one score losses and get them in the win column and we'll be fine. See how he does this year. Bunch of 3 star QBs and hopefully one will get us over the hump.

I'm really sick of all the effin haters that seem to lurk here. After you've coached a year or two at Notre Dame maybe David will give you a shot! What the hell, can't do worse than Coach Martin right? 
    DSnyder15a26daveaba222
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Dodds God
    Great comments Laxdaddy and davearama!  I am with you - the haters that lurk here are very annoying.  

Still incredible to me that the year before Martin arrived in Oxford the Hawks went 0-12 and were a laughing stock of the MAC.  I commend Martin for the job he has done turning the program around.  We are stacking up good recruiting classes and have a lot of talent on the roster.  I do think that the Redhawks are close.  One score games have killed us during Martin's tenure (albeit some due to Martin himself).  

It just worries me that if we do ax Chuck then your next hire is incredibly important. We have built good momentum and I would hate to see it falter under a new hire that isn't the right fit.  
    DSnyder15a26daveJHVMUFBAlumDICK
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Remember when our head coach lost our most important rivalry game because he FORGOT to call a timeout?

Bash_Riprockskin66ChiefPanicCAredhawk13
    Bake and CM take a look at the Redhawks DL heading into the 2019 season.

https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1159175185318240259?s=19
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    optimistic 
    Coach Martin gives his thoughts on week 1 of camp:

https://twitter.com/MiamiOHFootball/status/1159515267338162177?s=19
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Again with “...my food, my bed, my drinks.” Like, without him they wouldn’t eat, sleep or drink.
  • Redhawk2019Redhawk2019 Summer Orientee
    He must personally buy a lot of food. Sure likes to complain about it.
    Bash_Riprock
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

He must personally buy a lot of food. Sure likes to complain about it.

Sounds like Sayler needs to get Chuck a Costco membership.