Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Camp Opened Today!!

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
I don't know about anyone else, but I am pretty happy football is back. And boy is this schedule daunting! 3 top 25 teams to start the year in OSU, Iowa and UC (UC top 25 in some polls). All on the road. Big time tests early. New roster is up and just a couple quick thoughts. On paper we are loaded both numbers wise and talent wise at defensive back. Maybe the deepest group I have seen at Miami in a long time. Again, on paper. Thin at LB, especially numbers wise. But the LB we have are decent sized. Guys across the board have definitely put in time in the weight room. We have some really impressive size at both OL and DL (which as anyone knows, I love to see!) and we will need it against the schedule we have. The biggest question will be QB. There is a video up today and Martin says we have to get at least 2 and maybe 3 QBs ready to play and in the non conference games more than one QB will see the field each game. (Reminder to self-no bitching when we switch QBs for no apparent reason against OSU, Iowa and UC!). Sounds like Mayer, Williamson and Gabbert will all get reps with the ones. I know the preseason hype disappears quickly, but right now, I am excited for some RedHawk football!!
NescacdadJHVMUFBAlum

Comments

  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    Chuck’s reaction to the schedule question today was less than inspiring - but three of those first four games would probably be a bit challenging for even Clemson.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    Started the year healthier than ever, according to Chuck. His comments about kids not wanting to play banged up were a bit disconcerting on a couple of levels. The early schedule is obviously daunting.

    It must be football season though. I dreamed last night we lost to Tennessee Tech. What a nightmare!
    redhawk11
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Nescacdad said:

    Started the year healthier than ever, according to Chuck. His comments about kids not wanting to play banged up were a bit disconcerting on a couple of levels. The early schedule is obviously daunting.

    It must be football season though. I dreamed last night we lost to Tennessee Tech. What a nightmare!



    You're right, his comments about injured players were terrible.  He's encouraging kids to play hurt because he provides them with Miami swag, food, a nice dorm room and an education. 

    He also conceded to OSU.  Guess he thinks the players don't watch his vids.
    NescacdadBash_Riprock
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    I spent 16 seasons in a big league clubhouse. The admonition from the trainers was alway that you have to play hurt lots if the time but you should NEVER play injured. Good trainers and coaches know the difference.
    redhawk11grumpy1
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    I have no problem with what Coach Martin said to the players. What he told the players was if you are hurt you need to do the work to get better-treatment, therapy and rehab. For everyone they need to do the things to help themselves-plenty of rest, eat right, get in the weight room, etc. I agree completely with his thoughts that if you are going to be at Miami on scholarship and get everything that goes along with that, they need to put in the work and do the right things.
    RHawksAlumnidave67AORedHawk33DSnyder15HawksGrad18
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Redskin89 said:

    I have no problem with what Coach Martin said to the players. What he told the players was if you are hurt you need to do the work to get better-treatment, therapy and rehab. For everyone they need to do the things to help themselves-plenty of rest, eat right, get in the weight room, etc. I agree completely with his thoughts that if you are going to be at Miami on scholarship and get everything that goes along with that, they need to put in the work and do the right things.

    That's a generous reading between the lines.
    Nescacdad
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    grumpy1 said:

    Redskin89 said:

    I have no problem with what Coach Martin said to the players. What he told the players was if you are hurt you need to do the work to get better-treatment, therapy and rehab. For everyone they need to do the things to help themselves-plenty of rest, eat right, get in the weight room, etc. I agree completely with his thoughts that if you are going to be at Miami on scholarship and get everything that goes along with that, they need to put in the work and do the right things.

    That's a generous reading between the lines.


    Not really when you heard what he told the players
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited August 4
    I remember when Miami was coached by guys like Randy Walker and Terry Hoeppner and how they would prepare Miami teams to take on "bigger" opponents.  Miami used to talk about TOMAHAWK wins.   Here's how its described:

    Rooted in its deep history and tradition, Miami football prides
    itself on being the first college football program to award helmet
    stickers for extraordinary plays.

    After being introduced by Bo Schembechler in the early 60’s, he
    changed the concept to make it more of a team award. Now, after each
    “major victory” a tomahawk is hung in the locker room to signify another
    battle wo
    n.

    Miami's last "tomahawk" win was 2007 vs. Syracuse.

    Chuck Marin has never, to my knowledge, talked about Tomahawk wins. In fact, here are Chuck Martin's recent statements on non-conference games (8.2.19):

    "what happens if an Ohio State [player] grabs his right arm and rips it off his body and throws it into the bleachers"

    "no one talks to me about the schedule.  I don't really worry about the schedule.  I wish I would do the scheduling.  It would be way different."

    "our kids are excited about going to Kinnick Stadium....going to the 'shoe is a once in a lifetime experience.  Lot of kids dream of playing for the Buckeyes, and playing at the 'shoe, [giggling]not coming in there as the Redhawks[/giggling].

    "[the three road games are]..great road tests.  Is it an awesome way to start off the year.... from a win/loss perspective, probably not."

    "it is pretty cool going to some of these venues.  you won't have to give one of those 'win one for the gipper speaches' to get your kids revved up to go out there and play.  [giggling]Now halfway through the game you might have to give a speech to get the kids to go back out there[/giggling].

    This is Y6 of the Chuck Martin tenure.  This is after our heralded recruiting classes.  It sounds like we are lambs to the slaughter.  Perhaps he's right.  Perhaps there is no more place for programs like Miami to compete with the likes of Iowa, Ohio State and Cincinnati.  Perhaps we will never have any more Tomahawk victories. 

    Based on those comments, I'll pass on purchasing any tickets to Ohio State.  Last thing I want is to be hit by a body part from one of the Miami players - - - or watch one of the coaches trying to coax the Miami players back onto the field at halftime. 

    Remember mid-major football coaches like Pat Hill at Fresno with the battle cry of "anybody, anytime, anyplace"?  Where is that attitude?

    CLICK HERE for Pat Hill.  "Our players want to play the best teams we can," Hill said. "I don't
    think that's ever changed. Washington will be our 32nd game (all-time)
    against BCS opponents. That's what our players want. We want to play
    good teams."
    Bash_RiprockNescacdadaba222AORedHawk33killgas20digitalhawkMHT_Meme_Team
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    It's partially a function of schedule, EMU managed to beat a Big Ten school but it was Rutgers after all. I imagine that they don't pay out as much, but you get a much greater chance at an upset. We have more of a chance at Pitt and Northwestern the next few years than OSU, but I don't think it matters either way with Martin on the sidelines.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

    I remember when Miami was coached by guys like Randy Walker and Terry Hoeppner and how they would prepare Miami teams to take on "bigger" opponents.  Miami used to talk about TOMAHAWK wins.   Here's how its described:

    Rooted in its deep history and tradition, Miami football prides
    itself on being the first college football program to award helmet
    stickers for extraordinary plays.

    After being introduced by Bo Schembechler in the early 60’s, he
    changed the concept to make it more of a team award. Now, after each
    “major victory” a tomahawk is hung in the locker room to signify another
    battle wo
    n.

    Miami's last "tomahawk" win was 2007 vs. Syracuse.

    Chuck Marin has never, to my knowledge, talked about Tomahawk wins. In fact, here are Chuck Martin's recent statements on non-conference games (8.2.19):

    "what happens if an Ohio State [player] grabs his right arm and rips it off his body and throws it into the bleachers"

    "no one talks to me about the schedule.  I don't really worry about the schedule.  I wish I would do the scheduling.  It would be way different."

    "our kids are excited about going to Kinnick Stadium....going to the 'shoe is a once in a lifetime experience.  Lot of kids dream of playing for the Buckeyes, and playing at the 'shoe, [giggling]not coming in there as the Redhawks[/giggling].

    "[the three road games are]..great road tests.  Is it an awesome way to start off the year.... from a win/loss perspective, probably not."

    "it is pretty cool going to some of these venues.  you won't have to give one of those 'win one for the gipper speaches' to get your kids revved up to go out there and play.  [giggling]Now halfway through the game you might have to give a speech to get the kids to go back out there[/giggling].

    This is Y6 of the Chuck Martin tenure.  This is after our heralded recruiting classes.  It sounds like we are lambs to the slaughter.  Perhaps he's right.  Perhaps there is no more place for programs like Miami to compete with the likes of Iowa, Ohio State and Cincinnati.  Perhaps we will never have any more Tomahawk victories. 

    Based on those comments, I'll pass on purchasing any tickets to Ohio State.  Last thing I want is to be hit by a body part from one of the Miami players - - - or watch one of the coaches trying to coax the Miami players back onto the field at halftime. 

    Remember mid-major football coaches like Pat Hill at Fresno with the battle cry of "anybody, anytime, anyplace"?  Where is that attitude?

    CLICK HERE for Pat Hill.  "Our players want to play the best teams we can," Hill said. "I don't
    think that's ever changed. Washington will be our 32nd game (all-time)
    against BCS opponents. That's what our players want. We want to play
    good teams."
    It appears obvious that we have sunk to the level of defeatism from a higher calling of optimism, challenge and desire to cannot wait to play the best. It is so sad to see.
    AORedHawk33killgas20
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    edited August 4
    Martin needs to get a glass half full attitude. If he says things that sound like he doesn’t think there are chances to win, then it just trickles down. He needs to learn how to be a better leader. This many years in and he still, most of the time, does not get it.

    I still think we have a chance for a bowl this year if we can get our offense going early and am looking forward to a good season. Let the games begin!
    AORedHawk33dave67BlackbirdScalper
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite
    edited August 4
    Nickskin said:

    I remember when Miami was coached by guys like Randy Walker and Terry Hoeppner and how they would prepare Miami teams to take on "bigger" opponents. Miami's last "tomahawk" win was 2007 vs. Syracuse.
    Chuck Marin has never, to my knowledge, talked about Tomahawk wins. In fact, here are Chuck Martin's recent statements on non-conference games (8.2.19):

    "what happens if an Ohio State [player] grabs his right arm and rips it off his body and throws it into the bleachers"

    "no one talks to me about the schedule.  I don't really worry about the schedule.  I wish I would do the scheduling.  It would be way different."

    "our kids are excited about going to Kinnick Stadium....going to the 'shoe is a once in a lifetime experience.  Lot of kids dream of playing for the Buckeyes, and playing at the 'shoe, [giggling]not coming in there as the Redhawks[/giggling].

    "[the three road games are]..great road tests.  Is it an awesome way to start off the year.... from a win/loss perspective, probably not."

    "it is pretty cool going to some of these venues.  you won't have to give one of those 'win one for the gipper speaches' to get your kids revved up to go out there and play.  [giggling]Now halfway through the game you might have to give a speech to get the kids to go back out there[/giggling].

    This is Y6 of the Chuck Martin tenure.  This is after our heralded recruiting classes.  It sounds like we are lambs to the slaughter.  Perhaps he's right.  Perhaps there is no more place for programs like Miami to compete with the likes of Iowa, Ohio State and Cincinnati.  Perhaps we will never have any more Tomahawk victories. 

    Based on those comments, I'll pass on purchasing any tickets to Ohio State.  Last thing I want is to be hit by a body part from one of the Miami players - - - or watch one of the coaches trying to coax the Miami players back onto the field at halftime
    Amen. I like this guys less and less. Someone want to put together an email to send for the AD to tell them this doesn’t fly?
    JCook32
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    Is there ANYONE in the athletic department who can coach him up on how to deal with the media?

    Even though I’m an idiot, I understand there aren’t a whole lot of Miami RedHawk football training camp videos, but among those eyes are donors, hardcore fans, players, player families, and recruit. WHY does this guy say the things that he says???

    Me thinks that David Saylor has lost control of the football program and Chuck doesn’t listen to him anymore.
    mollautt
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Idiotfan said:

    Is there ANYONE in the athletic department who can coach him up on how to deal with the media?

    Even though I’m an idiot, I understand there aren’t a whole lot of Miami RedHawk football training camp videos, but among those eyes are donors, hardcore fans, players, player families, and recruit. WHY does this guy say the things that he says???

    Me thinks that David Saylor has lost control of the football program and Chuck doesn’t listen to him anymore.

    I don't think its a matter of not listening.  This is just who he is.  

    If I'm to believe his statement, I come to the conclusion that He doesn't believe that Miami is the type of program that can recruit the type of players that can compete with P5 schools.  He doesn't believe that Miami can beat P5 schools.  If he did, his attitude and his statements would be different.  
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    Defeatist attitude has run rampant in this athletic department for over a decade now.

    Thought things would change with saylor but they have not. Still Culture of Mediocrtiy. Noting more evident of this than when your own football coach says these things.

    But what do i know. I’m just an idiot
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I'd feel so much better if coach Martin would have said something like this:

    In a few weeks, we get to play Ohio State which, as we all know, is one of the premier programs in college football history. Not to be outdone, Miami is also a premier program in college football history. I can only tell you that our players and our coaches are looking forward to this opportunity to play Ohio State. We have all worked hard here this spring, summer and early fall to prepare our kids to be at their best, to give their best, to try to win this game. Because of how we have prepared, we expect many Miami fans to be in the stands in Columbus to support us, to cheer for us and to realize that we will do everything we can to make everyone proud of the effort we will put forth on the field to win this game. That is how we view every game on our schedule....an opportunity to compete against an opponent....an opportunity to play our best....an opportunity to win.....and make our players, their families, friends and our fans proud of us. 
    JHVMUFBAlumMUIrish1809
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Idiotfan said:

    Defeatist attitude has run rampant in this athletic department for over a decade now.

    Thought things would change with saylor but they have not. Still Culture of Mediocrtiy. Noting more evident of this than when your own football coach says these things.

    But what do i know. I’m just an idiot

    I'd imagine part of that is Sayler coming in with a huge positive attitude and then gradually having that erode once the realities of the administration's support and general fan apathy towards Miami athletics.
    Renmanco
  • Swoop2005Swoop2005 Summer Orientee
    I agree 100% with the statement that Martin’s comments are unacceptable. He doesn’t understand nor does he care about the tradition here. He wants to win and move onto his next HC job. That’s why he whines about the schedule, the trophies, the fans, etc. Not smart on his part but shows what mid major football is....it’s small time in his mind. It isn’t to to us...but in the grand scheme...it is small time. He has higher aspirations. Which is fine...but he goes about it wrong. If he turns this into a job at a lower level, P5 job...they will have even less tradition than we do. Rutgers? Wake Forest?
  • papagrandepapagrande Dodds God
    That statement may be the most absurd thing Martin has ever said. How in the world can a coach have such weak attitude, it is shocking. If I were a recruit, I would never consider playing for such a weak coach. What a F'ing loser.

    It is even more shocking that Sayler allows one of his coaches to convey such a thing publicly. If this is the attitude of the coaches and the administration, we honestly have no business playing at the FBS level. 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Don’t have any quotes to back me up but I recall a much different attitude of our coaches back in the days of Bill Mallory, Dick Crum, and Randy Walker. Hell, even “he that shall not be named” (the one from the 80’s, not the current one), beat #8 LSU in 1986! And I was there!)
    Scalper
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    edited August 5
    I would be happy in today’s uneven environment it we simply made a commitment to try to be the best team in the Group of 5, like UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State and Fresno do.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nescacdad said:

    I would be happy in today’s uneven environment it we simply made a commitment to try to be the best team in the Group of 5, like UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State and Fresno do.

    Over the last 5 years coinciding with Martin's tenure, Miami is 0-6 against P-5 schools. (Including a bowl game)

    Using your choices, here are their P-5 results over the same time frame (P-5 bowl games included);

    UCF: 4-8
    UC: 3-6
    Boise: 10-7
    Fresno: 3-10

    That's a 39% win percentage...not all that bad.
  • aba222aba222 Havighurstite
    If someone wants to draft an email to the AD calling out this bs, I’d be happy to cut and paste and send it forward.
  • CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Off-Campus Slummer
    Renmanco said:

    Nescacdad said:

    I would be happy in today’s uneven environment it we simply made a commitment to try to be the best team in the Group of 5, like UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State and Fresno do.

    Over the last 5 years coinciding with Martin's tenure, Miami is 0-6 against P-5 schools. (Including a bowl game)

    Using your choices, here are their P-5 results over the same time frame (P-5 bowl games included);

    UCF: 4-8
    UC: 3-6
    Boise: 10-7
    Fresno: 3-10

    That's a 39% win percentage...not all that bad.
    We can make this look even worse because being P5 teams is step 2 of being a Top-G5 program, first you have to just beat the non-conference G5 teams you play so this is what it looks like since 2014
    UCF: 4-2
    UC: 7-4 (5 of those wins against us)
    Boise: 11-1
    Fresno: 3-3

    Miami: 0-11
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

    Renmanco said:

    Nescacdad said:

    I would be happy in today’s uneven environment it we simply made a commitment to try to be the best team in the Group of 5, like UCF, Cincinnati, Boise State and Fresno do.

    Over the last 5 years coinciding with Martin's tenure, Miami is 0-6 against P-5 schools. (Including a bowl game)

    Using your choices, here are their P-5 results over the same time frame (P-5 bowl games included);

    UCF: 4-8
    UC: 3-6
    Boise: 10-7
    Fresno: 3-10

    That's a 39% win percentage...not all that bad.
    We can make this look even worse because being P5 teams is step 2 of being a Top-G5 program, first you have to just beat the non-conference G5 teams you play so this is what it looks like since 2014
    UCF: 4-2
    UC: 7-4 (5 of those wins against us)
    Boise: 11-1
    Fresno: 3-3

    Miami: 0-11
    Oh....S--- !!!!!!!!!!!!! That's really....really terrible.
Sign In or Register to comment.