Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Expectations for the fall

Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
What kind of season do we need to have for you to feel good about Chuck Martin and/or Miami football as a whole? What kinda season would be grounds for firing him? Naturally it heavily depends on your opinion going into this year.

Comments

• Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    To feel good: A bowl and at least 7 wins. One needs to be against UC/OU and one against an FBS non-conference opponent (can include the bowl game). I have greater ambitions than that as a program, but I'll take a plus-.500 record as someone who's never seen one as a Miami fan.

Grounds for firing: 5 wins or less. Imo if we get to 6, even without a bowl, Sayler will keep Martin.

In a perfect world we beat OU and UC, win the MAC, and Chuck gets hired away so we can find our football version of Megan Duffy to lead us going forward. Which means that's not happening.
    redbear18naptownHawkDICK
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    I think that's fair
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    If we don’t call time-out immediately before our first offensive snap, I’ll be good.
    redhawk11dave67Bash_RiprockChiefPanica26daveMHT_Meme_TeamThe_SackmanRe6H5wkkillgas20yanksalexand 3 others.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Expectations? A bad start against a near impossible schedule while most of the thousand people who still care about Miami football bray for Chuck’s head. Then a winning record in conference that will make no one happy and most people won’t even see because they gave up on the team in September. All that and drinking — lots of drinking.
    dave67MowchNickskinthechuck_2112QuinoaburgerAORedHawk33HawksGrad18RedHawks97MacCracken
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I’ll be happy if we don’t start the year 1-6.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Generally I agree that 5 wins or less should mean the door for CM. The only way I see him staying with 5 wins is if Sayler takes pity on him for throwing him to the wolves with that OOC schedule. That or two of the five wins come against OU and UC. 6-6 with a clear leader at QB for the future would be ok. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise to me.
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    At less he wins games the coach before went almost to years with out a win
    Nescacdad
  • greggie76greggie76 Off-Campus Slummer
    And plus contract runs out 2020 i say he stay intill contract is over
    redhawk11Nescacdad
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    L&H pretty much nailed it. A 7-5 record with a win against UC and a bowl game would meet my expectations (or hopes) given the schedule this year. We need to beat UC!! If we do not beat UC and go 1-3 OOC as most here expect, then Chuck needs to go 6-2 in the MAC and get us to a bowl game regardless or I will consider it another disappointing season in a string of endless disappointing seasons.

And going forward with more favorable OOC schedules in the future, the minimum “bar” for acceptability should be 8-4 with a bowl appearance EVERY year along with periodic wins against UC and/or mid/low level P5 teams.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Cincykid3 said:

L&H pretty much nailed it. A 7-5 record with a win against UC and a bowl game would meet my expectations (or hopes) given the schedule this year. We need to beat UC!! If we do not beat UC and go 1-3 OOC as most here expect, then Chuck needs to go 6-2 in the MAC and get us to a bowl game regardless or I will consider it another disappointing season in a string of endless disappointing seasons.

And going forward with more favorable OOC schedules in the future, the minimum “bar” for acceptability should be 8-4 with a bowl appearance EVERY year along with periodic wins against UC and/or mid/low level P5 teams.

Agree....but let me add that I'd like to see our head coach not cost us any game with an obvious error. This has been commented upon by many people her in the past and it's time for us to win the close games....and not "drop the ball" from the sideline.
    skin66JHVMUFBAlumMacCrackenDICK
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I'm just looking forward to whatever this year's insult du jour will be that is given to us from our pee pants head coach in between Twitter block sessions.
    grumpy1CAredhawk13MacCracken
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    I expect us to win 6 games. I would be very happy if we win 7. Someone already said this, but I really would be ecstatic if we win games where our staff makes good decisions.
    DICK
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

I expect us to win 6 games. I would be very happy if we win 7. Someone already said this, but I really would be ecstatic if we win games where our staff makes good decisions.

I would suggest that if there are no obvious game decisions or adjustments that cause the Redhawks to win the game...then the week of preparation and decisions are reason for victory.  I believe this is an area that CM excels.
    Bash_Riprock
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I'm fully expecting 6-6 (5-3). If they do any better than that, I'll be happy. If we win fewer than 5 games, can Chuck.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    My expectations are based on the fact that Miami hired a top notch OC from Notre Dame and that this is Y6 of his tenure and he has landed top-3 recruiting classes over the past few years.  As such, Miami fans should EXPECT the following:

Iowa - L (0-1)
    Tenn. Tech - W (1-1)
    Cincinnati - W (2-1)
    Ohio State - L (2-2)
    Buffalo - W (3-2)
    WMU - W (4-2)
    NIU - W (5-2)
    Kent - W (6-2)
    Ohio -W (7-2)
    BG - W (8-2)
    Akron - W (9-2)
    Ball State - W (10-2)

MAC Championship - W (11-2)

Bowl Game - W (12-2)

Chuck Martin buys out his contract and takes over a P5 program.  Anything less will be a let down and below expectations.
    AORedHawk33Professor_Fatekillgas20Quinoaburgerskin66yanksalexThe_Sackmangentbaseball12EDDIEJHVMUFBAlumand 4 others.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

My expectations are based on the fact that Miami hired a top notch OC from Notre Dame and that this is Y6 of his tenure and he has landed top-3 recruiting classes over the past few years.  As such, Miami fans should EXPECT the following:

Iowa - L (0-1)
    Tenn. Tech - W (1-1)
    Cincinnati - W (2-1)
    Ohio State - L (2-2)
    Buffalo - W (3-2)
    WMU - W (4-2)
    NIU - W (5-2)
    Kent - W (6-2)
    Ohio -W (7-2)
    BG - W (8-2)
    Akron - W (9-2)
    Ball State - W (10-2)

Bowl Game - W (12-2)

Chuck Martin buys out his contract and takes over a P5 program.  Anything less will be a let down and below expectations.
    Those were Miami's standards until 2005....been a long downhill slide since then. Hope we can return to greatness...12-2 would be a great start.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Iowa - L (0-1)
    Tenn. Tech - W (1-1)
    Cincinnati - W (2-1)
    Ohio State - L (2-2)
    Buffalo - W (3-2)
    WMU - W (4-2)
    NIU - W (5-2)
    Kent - W (6-2)
    Ohio -W (7-2)
    BG - W (8-2)
    Akron - W (9-2)
    Ball State - W (10-2)

Bowl Game - W (12-2)

If this comes to pass, you’re gonna need to get new business cards and add the title of “Prophet”.

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited August 8
    For those counting at home, over the past 19 years, Miami has won OVER 6 games ONLY 6 times AND Chuck Martin has never won over 6 games in any one season while at Miami.

Chuck Martin NEVER won over 6 games in a season (5 seasons)
    Don Treadwell (and Mike Bath) NEVER won over 6 games in a season (2 1/2 seasons)
    Michael Haywood won over 6 games in a season one time (10 wins in 2010) (2 seasons)
    Shane Montgomery won over 6 games in a season one time (7 wins in 2005) (4 seasons)
    Terry Hoeppner won over 6 games in 5 of his 6 seasons
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    7-5 with this schedule is probably the best the team can do. 
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    I am expecting that we win six games.  Any less than that would be a disappointment.  Nick is right-we should expect more.

• Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I'm very excited for a new QB, but I think we only win 5 games...will be tough. I think our defense will keep us in games, but the offense is really going to struggle. The D will only be able to do so much, but the college game has opened up so much, teams will put up points regardless how good the D is.
    DSnyder15
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    It's kind of a huge bummer that we're in year 6, the coach has all his pieces in place, and we're still saying that 7 wins would be a big success.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11BoarsHeadHero
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    QBurger--I don't think too many people are saying 7 wins would be a "big success": but it's a step in the right direction. 

We really really need to beat USucks and they'll be tough. We've played them close and they're coming off an big game with OSU the week before we play them which won't hurt. 

Beat them and reasonable MAC run and we can/should be at seven wins. Have a good MAC run including beating OU that's eight and probably MAC championship game. That would be a successful season. Win the MAC and go and win a bowl and that would officially be a "big success." 

I really don't think any of the above are total "pie in the sky" possibilities. Just need a QB to step up and see what happens. 
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited August 8
    Nickskin said:

Iowa - L (0-1)
    Tenn. Tech - W (1-1)
    Cincinnati - W (2-1)
    Ohio State - L (2-2)
    Buffalo - W (3-2)
    WMU - W (4-2)
    NIU - W (5-2)
    Kent - W (6-2)
    Ohio -W (7-2)
    BG - W (8-2)
    Akron - W (9-2)
    Ball State - W (10-2)

Bowl Game - W (12-2)

@Davearama and @HawksGrad18 can't believe how insulting this is to the team and CM. 14-0 or bust BABY...and that's only if the committee screws us and doesn't let us get to 15-0.
    JHVMUFBAlum
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    I'm hoping for good weather, and warm nights on game day.
    Bash_Riprockskin66Professor_FateMacCrackenNescacdad
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    No insults intended...I think all the lurkers/haters around here expecting us to be the next G-5 version of Clemson are a lot more insulting wouldn't you agree? 

15-0 might be a stretch but 12-2 or do you believe in miracles 13-1 has a nice ring to it.

That said..seven, eight or nine wins would work and aren't out of the question.

In the meantime, as season ticket owner, dave67's wish for "good weather and warm nights on game day" sounds especially nice! 

Love + Honor! 
    DSnyder15aba222
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited August 9
    Davearama said:

No insults intended...I think all the lurkers/haters around here expecting us to be the next G-5 version of Clemson are a lot more insulting wouldn't you agree? 

15-0 might be a stretch but 12-2 or do you believe in miracles 13-1 has a nice ring to it.

That said..seven, eight or nine wins would work and aren't out of the question.

In the meantime, as season ticket owner, dave67's wish for "good weather and warm nights on game day" sounds especially nice! 

Love + Honor! 
    I make a distinction between the expectation of (i) a winning season more than once a decade and beating our biggest rival at least once in a 15 year span and (ii) being Clemson. Perhaps you don't and, clearly, your tolerance for pain as a fan is much higher; in the latter respect, I envy you.
    redhawk11
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited August 9
    Davearama said:

For context, since the start of the Playoff era there has been 303 individual seasons of G5 football. Of those 303 seasons, 4 have resulted in 12 wins and 4 have resulted in 13 wins. None have resulted in 14 or 15 wins. So when someone talks about a 12+ win season, they're talking about literally a 98th or 99th percentile season.

I feel like so many people are so caught up in the 2003 season and the 3 year run in the 70s that they've lost all perspective. I'm sure those were a lot of fun to be a part of, but those are once in a generation flukes not realistic, attainable goals that we should be measuring ourselves by. And seasons like that are even harder to achieve in the modern era given the widening between the power conferences and everyone else.

It's so wild to be caught between a bunch of boomers who treat every season that doesn't result in a top 25 ranking as a failure and an administration that acts like it's a huge success for us to just not be total dogshit. Like, am I taking crazy pills for wanting regular winning seasons and a couple conference championships per decade?
    MooreHawkAORedHawk33Bash_RiprockDSnyder15
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly

I want 16 wins and no losses
    Bash_Riprock
  • CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Senior Barfly
    A successful season: Beat Cincinnati...we will we between 4-6 games in the MAC regardless of how many times he uses up all of our time outs before the end of the first quarter, and he's done that before so that doesn't rustle my jimmies.

Shit beat any FBS opponent out side of the MAC, he hasn't done that yet. I chose Cincinnati, but I'll take Ohio State or Iowa too.

Beat UC!