Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami Athletics Records Record-Setting Fundraising Year

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
Just released from the AD's office. Looks like Miami has had a banner year fundraising. Hopefully some of those funds will benefit mens and womens basketball and volleyball. To put it bluntly, their time is long overdue. 

ChrisW1980

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    The article says that the Graduating Champions campaign exceeded the $80M goal by $2M.  However, the campaign included the following incomplete projects:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

I wonder where the $$$ originally slated to those projects ended up.
  • TAW92TAW92 Dodds God
    Nickskin said:

The article says that the Graduating Champions campaign exceeded the $80M goal by $2M.  However, the campaign included the following incomplete projects:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

The article mentioned that “nearly half” of the $82 million went directly to facilities. It said that the other half+ went to program support and scholarships. My thought is that the original goal had more than half of the total targeted for facility building, thus not all of the planned facility goals were checked off.

• AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    DS continues to do an outstanding job of fundraising.  The guy crushes it.

With all the effort he has put into football, coupled with the fact that we still haven't had a winning season under his watch, makes it even more of a surprise that he didnt pull the plug last year.
    Blackbird
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Build it and they will come.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

Where are they?
    digitalhawkBlackbirdIdiotfan
    Renmanco said:

dave67 said:

Where are they?

Waiting for the new Millett??
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Maybe they've tried to take a bit of advice fro
    dave67 said:

Renmanco said:

dave67 said:

Where are they?

Waiting for the new Millett??
    “I see Miami fans.....” - Haley Joel Osmet, outtake from “The 6th Sense”

dave67skin66
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    And they're really dead. Sounds about right.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    TAW92 said:

Nickskin said:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

The article mentioned that “nearly half” of the $82 million went directly to facilities. It said that the other half+ went to program support and scholarships. My thought is that the original goal had more than half of the total targeted for facility building, thus not all of the planned facility goals were checked off.

If you can’t generate revenue from tickets and media and don’t want to soak the student population even more, raising endowment funds for athletic scholarships is probably the most sustainable path to stay in the FBS — even if it’s not as sexy as new bricks and mortar.

• BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    This is all great, but at the end of the fund raising-facility improving-scholarship establishing chain, aren't we supposed to have some winning programs?
    AORedHawk33DICK
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Blackbird said:

This is all great, but at the end of the fund raising-facility improving-scholarship establishing chain, aren't we supposed to have some winning programs?

Again Miami won both the men and women all sports awards. Football went 6-2 in the conference. That is where a big chunk of the money went. Football isnt where we want it but it is light years ahead of where it was when this project was started
    DSnyder15
    I’m so tired of hearing ‘everything is okay’ because our minor sports are winning.

The only two sports that have eyes on them have had a combined ONE winning season this decade.
    CAredhawk13Blackbird
    I’m equally tired of hearing that none of those other students matter to you.
    DSnyder15JCook32Bash_RiprockCAredhawk13Redhawk2019dave67
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    edited August 15
    DevilGrad said:

I think the big donors feel the same as you.  I guess some would want these individuals to withhold donations until the sports teams start showing promise.
    AORedHawk33
    edited August 15
    Nm

You’re right DG. The last decade has been just fine.
    Did I say that? Pull up your pants. Your ass is showing.
    AORedHawk33
    edited August 15
    Geez DG.. bad day at work?

Did I ever say those student athletes don’t matter to me? Enough of the strawman arguments.

Question for you: Do you like the state of Miami athletics right now? According to those in our athletic department, we just had a banner year.

Of course the minor sports matter, and so do the student athletes. I attended almost every volleyball game my freshman year and went to every baseball game I could. The alumni have done a fantastic job of looking after their respective programs. Field hockey was privately funded. Baseball, privately funded. Ice hockey, privately funded.

Fact is, football and basketball (both MBB and WBB) are the only two sports that have the ability to generate an insane amount of free marketing for Miami University. They are the only two sports that are ever trending on social media (Our head coach’s ‘idiot fan and media’ rant generated more coverage than our swim and dive team). Like I said... there are more eyes on basketball and football than any other sport....

Maybe I’m biased.... I was a kid from NJ in 2005, with not a clue as to where Miami University was. I remember hearing about the school because of Big Ben of course, but wasn’t until Dickie V lost his shit about us not making the tournament until I actually researched it as a potential school to attend.

Until those two sports are fixed, in my opinion, I cannot deem our athletic department as having a successful year.
    redhawk11DICKRenmancoScalperJCook32BlackbirdIdiotfan
    I think everyone wants to do way better in the major sports you mentioned. Basketball has not been funded with the $80m with the exception of a new locker room. Its needs to be better for sure.

I would suggest that football received lots of the $80m and they have dramatically improved. We were the worst team in the country right around the start of these projects. Now we are a good MAC team
  • CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Senior Barfly
    DevilGrad said:

Can there be a camp that holds both opinions in our heads? 

I mean, I love that we are winning and competing for MAC Championships in 13 of our 16 sports, but it is really frustrating to not be competing at the level we expect in the other 3, it also happens that the 3 most important sports for eyeballs and $$$ to the University and athletic department are struggling overall
    redhawk11AORedHawk33RenmancoDICKIdiotfan
    Money ball is what you are after.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

TAW92 said:

Nickskin said:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

If you can’t generate revenue from tickets and media and don’t want to soak the student population even more, raising endowment funds for athletic scholarships is probably the most sustainable path to stay in the FBS — even if it’s not as sexy as new bricks and mortar.

Louisiana Lafayette has a novel solution: all scholarship football players are required to make a donation to the school’s general athletic fund. Why pay the players when you can make the players pay you?

DevilGrad said:

TAW92 said:

Nickskin said:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

Louisiana Lafayette has a novel solution: all scholarship football players are required to make a donation to the school’s general athletic fund. Why pay the players when you can make the players pay you?
    Dont we do something similar?
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

DevilGrad said:

TAW92 said:

Nickskin said:

THE YAGER PRESS BOX,
    MILLETT HALL RENOVATION,
    INDOOR TENNIS CENTER.

Full story

https://es.pn/2TBR8lH