Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Ohio State files Trademark for THE ™️

There’s arrogance, and then there’s arrogance in Marketing.

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/the-ohio-state-trademark-application-shirts/amp

Course with the geographically challenged world of today, Miami needs to trademark “Of Ohio”. Although I think “MOFO” would be more appropriate.
MHT_Meme_TeamnaptownHawk

Comments

• JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    At least they spelled it correctly.
    Bash_RiprockLove_and_Honor
  • skipatrollerskipatroller Senior Barfly
    I'm sure "THE" U, "THE" Rock, and even "THE The" will have some objections.

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited August 14

https://thespun.com/big-ten/ohio-state-buckeyes/the-ohio-state-trademark-application-shirts/amp

Course with the geographically challenged world of today, Miami needs to trademark “Of Ohio”. Although I think “MOFO” would be more appropriate.

Great move by Ohio State.  Getting a lot of press.  Kudos to the marketing people there.
  • DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    Is it great press to be universally derided by anyone who lives outside the state?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    In media circles, all press is good at it draws attention....even bad press.

What you do not want is no press.
    MHT_Meme_Teammoose
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Rutgers might have an objection as they were"the state University." long before Columbus added their indefinite pronoun.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    The Bobkittens are on the prowl on this one
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Of course, our official name is The Miami University.

I guess we should have filed first. We might have a better argument so as to now be confused with the other school that stole our name.
    Bash_RiprocknaptownHawk
  • HawksVoxHawksVox Summer Orientee
    Of course, our official name is The Miami University.

Quite correct. The Ohio legislature, in their wisdom, named each university in its system with the article "The". Miami is certainly one of the two first. So Ohio State, which was NOT founded with the word "The" in its name (just Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College) is simply trying to trademark something that we ALL possess. If we had thought of it first, we can be sure it would have been hooted down immediately. I suspect however that when push comes to shove the judge will likely agree to go where the political power is greatest. This hearkens back to the day not long ago when Michigan trademarked the letter "M" in its block form and effectively forced Miami to redesign its brand into what we now recognize as the beveled M and font-set. 
    naptownHawk
    Renmanco said:

Media folks always say that, but it’s wrong. Just ask the makers of Ayds diet supplements. Some forms of publicity damage brand value far more than they help, and it’s facile to ignore the distinction.

• BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer

Oy vez mir.
    I bet Morrison & Foerster has already protected “MoFo.”
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    EZ4U2C
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

Renmanco said:

Media folks always say that, but it’s wrong. Just ask the makers of Ayds diet supplements. Some forms of publicity damage brand value far more than they help, and it’s facile to ignore the distinction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_uiiRAZqs