Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Top 50 Football Programs from Last 150 Years

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Miami at #40. Says a lot about how good we were prior to the last 10 years of so, because honestly, the last decade has been overall abysmal. Hopefully we see a turnaround starting this year. But kudos to all those players and coaches who made this team worthy of being ranked #40!! Well done!
    redhawk11AORedHawk33DICK
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    And FYI nice to see this list includes the great programs from non Div 1 like Mt Union and even some NAIA schools. Shows the authors put some research and time into this list. 
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Nice. Kind of implies the last great coach was Bo . I disagree . 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Just think what our ranking might’ve been in the late 70’s or even 15 years ago. Testimony to the many great years we had after WW2 all the way up to early 2000’s through Big Ben era. Very few years with losing records in that entire stretch except for late 80’s.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Nice. Kind of implies the last great coach was Bo . I disagree . 

Yeah that was my only issue with the article/ranking too.
  • nyredhawknyredhawk Summer Orientee
    Mallory and Crum oversaw the gold standard years of Miami football. No Bo, not Woody, not Pont, Ara, not any of ones before or after them. Randy Walker brought Miami back to prominence before he alighted for Northwestern. 

What's sad to me is that other programs have produced great coaches and dynastic programs. Miami now has the facilities to match up with anyone and perhaps when Martin moves on a great YOUNG coach comes in and brings us back. 
    edited August 15
    I agree with you on the coaches except to point out that Ara’s record and winning percentage (.859) were phenomenal in his 5 year MU stint. First time we cracked final top 20 poll, too with a 15 ranking one of his years.
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Cincykid3 said:

I agree with you on the coaches except to point out that Ara’s record and winning percentage (.859) were phenomenal in his 5 year MU stint. First time we cracked final top 20 poll, too with a 15 ranking one of his years.

My guess is that due to less bowl games in 1955 than 1950 would be the reason why Miami didn't make a bowl game that year we finished 15th (1955).
    edited August 15
    Correct....some years ago I saw an article with a reference to that team...according to article Ara held out hope for a bowl bid but it was not to be....how many bowls were there back then..15 maybe...perhaps even less.
    One last comment: that 1955 Miami team was undefeated (9-0), and defensively gave up an average of 5.2 points a game. How is that for a stat?
  • nyredhawknyredhawk Summer Orientee
    Cincykid3, I happily stand corrected. The other thing about Ara was his lifelong link to Miami. He became a national legend at ND but never forgot his Miami background. 
    edited August 16
    Digressing a bit, but many (including me until a few years ago) were unaware that Ara played a year or two In the pros for Cleveland after he concluded his Miami playing career as a DB and star running back. He did pretty well until a severe injury ended his pro career early in his second year.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Cincykid3 said:

Digressing a bit, but omany (including me until a few years ago) were unaware that Ara played a year or two In the pros for Cleveland after he concluded his Miami playing career as a DB and star running back. He did pretty well until a severe injury ended his pro career early in his second year.

A lot of fans don't know Ara coined the term "Dawg Pound".