Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

18 Delta Tau Delta members indicted for hazing

thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
edited October 2019 in Miami Memos
18 guys face a total of 64 charges, all misdemeanors, for the hazing that got DTD kicked off campus. Not much more to say than that.

https://www.journal-news.com/news/crime--law/indicted-after-investigation-into-alleged-miami-fraternity-hazing-incident/jMGhZSIDQVkbLNskRESdCK/
EDDIEBash_Riprockmoose

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    OU suspended all frats today.
    moose
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    I really struggle to understand how any frat thinks they can get away with this crap anymore.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2019
    As a former Delt at Miami it is very disheartening...for years I have seen the emphasis on anti-hazing articles in the alumni publications and I had hoped that this kind of thing had been stamped out..obviously not.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    dudis41 said:

I really struggle to understand how any frat thinks they can get away with this crap anymore.

Why do they even think it's fun?

• Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2019
    DG is correct, and the real problem with hazing (.even of what some might consider the mild sort), is that it gives encouragement to bad behavior by individuals predisposed to intimidation and bullying. These type of individuals enjoy the power over others the hazing allow them. I have seen it in practice, and there is no place for it.
    DICK
  • nyredhawknyredhawk Summer Orientee
    Now I'm a crotchety old man of 63 but I still remember what guys went through in the mid-1970s to gain entrance to fraternities. I was a spring pledge at Sigma Alpha Mu and was not subjected to ANY hazing and was and am unsure what might have happened had someone got physical with me.

That being said, I remember the brutality of Sigma Chi, Beta Theta Pi and the Phi Delts, the Miami Triad. They believed they could get away with anything. 

Times change but Miami seems stuck in the past. Rampant racism, sexism and white Christian superiority rules the day. When will this change?
    agc
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    White Christian superiority? Admittedly, I'm only on campus 1-2 times per year, but can you give multiple specifics?
    agc
    Fiji's throwing things at the Sammy house last October and calling it at kike fraternity. An African American woman who told me she gets called the N word and porch monkey when she walks across campus. How is that for two? Obviously you are not Jewish or a minority so you'd never notice unless you were with others saying those things. 

Thanks for asking. If you'd like to know more please feel free to pm me if that function still exists on this website. 

By the way, I am a fervent Miami fan and will always be one. But I don't live with blinders on. It's sad that the children of my classmates still have the same limited mindset as their parents......and grandparents for that matter. Ohio needs to change.
    "Obviously you are not Jewish or a minority so you'd never notice unless you were with others saying those things."

Every part of your comment was incorrect. Every part.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2019
    I think the conversation between you guys won’t go productively in public. Please feel free to discuss with one another in private messages.
    I did. My guess is that we will both be on the same wavelength.
    thechuck_2112
    We are both on the same wavelength.
    EDDIEthechuck_2112FraggleHawk