Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Follett's is going out of business.

Everything including Miami gear is 50% off store-wide. This also includes online orders. 

Don't know when they are closing for good, however. 

Comments

• Bummer. I used to love going to the big store. I’m guessing this is because they haven’t been back on High St for.......how long has it been since they’ve been in that little store?
    mattsledge
  • Bummer. I used to love going to the big store. I’m guessing this is because they haven’t been back on High St for.......how long has it been since they’ve been in that little store?

It's been at least a couple of years since they moved. The old location will be undergoing demolition and new construction in the near future (thanks to having underground storage tanks being removed from previous iterations of the property) . 
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Dodds God
    edited October 2019
    thx 4 the heads up mattsledge
    mattsledge
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    So that’s what colored the green beer at the Boars Head - whatever was in the underground storage tanks. Explains a lot!
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Thanks, new sweatshirt and t-shirt coming my way!
    Professor_Fate
  • Thanks, mattsledge.  Too many memories of the old store.  All of them were good memories, though.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Yeah I always stopped by the old store every time I was back in Oxford over the years....most always bought something too.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited October 2019
    Guess I'll finally be ordering a new lanyard/badge holder for work
    redhawk11
  • I've never had a cheesy Miami tie, but that's changing now.
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Off-Campus Slummer
    $100 well spent on outfitting the family in Miami gear.
  • ChiefPanicChiefPanic Off-Campus Slummer
    Most of my sizes were out - but we made the most of it....and if you’re a fan of hydro flask, they aren’t cheaper anywhere.
  • I stopped in last Friday.  Got a great deal on an umbrella and a putting green repair and marker set.  Damn shame what's been happening to Uptown.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Bought my cherished Miami of Ohio button, pens and tees there. Still have the button and i wear it proudly.
  • Damn shame what's been happening to Uptown.

Care to elaborate? Follett's had to leave their spot on High Street due to their lease not being renewed. Plus, said building has underground storage tanks that need to be removed when the building comes down, which will happen soon. Follett's is in competition with DuBois and Miami for spending $$$, so businesses will close... especially when they price Miami gear that isn't cheap and when they aren't reliant on college textbook dollars in this day and age. 

I may be biased since I live in Oxford but Uptown is fine. The city certainly isn't freaking out over it judging from the weekly reports they put out as they are actively dealing with the owners of the old Follett's and the now shuttered 45 East/Attractions locations. I would prefer that there would be more sit-down type restaurants, but this is a college town in the middle of nowhere. I'll take what I can get. 
    Bash_Riprockgrumpy1NescacdadMowchChiefPanicFraggleHawk
  • Most of my sizes were out - but we made the most of it....and if you’re a fan of hydro flask, they aren’t cheaper anywhere.

Did you find them on the website? I looked while i was looking at clothing, but did not see any. Maybe sold out? 

Care to elaborate? Follett's had to leave their spot on High Street due to their lease not being renewed. Plus, said building has underground storage tanks that need to be removed when the building comes down, which will happen soon. Follett's is in competition with DuBois and Miami for spending $$$, so businesses will close... especially when they price Miami gear that isn't cheap and when they aren't reliant on college textbook dollars in this day and age. 

I may be biased since I live in Oxford but Uptown is fine. The city certainly isn't freaking out over it judging from the weekly reports they put out as they are actively dealing with the owners of the old Follett's and the now shuttered 45 East/Attractions locations. I would prefer that there would be more sit-down type restaurants, but this is a college town in the middle of nowhere. I'll take what I can get. 
    Understandable. I asked when I was in and what I heard shocked me. Whether it’s all factual, please correct me. And I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m being sincere because Follett’s being gone so long has ticked me off.

From what I learned at the store, the High Street Follett’s and Attractions/Bar 45 East locations are owned by out of town interests. They’re not moving as fast as Follett’s has hoped. They were told they’d be in that storefront for 1 year. It’s now 3 years later, they’re asked to re-up for another 3 years at the current location. So you’re potentially looking at a 6 year time period for that one location. To me, that’s not good business.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly

Damn shame what's been happening to Uptown.

Understandable. I asked when I was in and what I heard shocked me. Whether it’s all factual, please correct me. And I’m not being sarcastic here, I’m being sincere because Follett’s being gone so long has ticked me off.

From what I learned at the store, the High Street Follett’s and Attractions/Bar 45 East locations are owned by out of town interests. They’re not moving as fast as Follett’s has hoped. They were told they’d be in that storefront for 1 year. It’s now 3 years later, they’re asked to re-up for another 3 years at the current location. So you’re potentially looking at a 6 year time period for that one location. To me, that’s not good business.
    I believe from what we read when 45 East Closed that the Weisman's sold the properties to a real estate group some time ago.  45 East and Folletts were both out because they want to develop both sites into the Oxford standard, apartments on top and retail on bottom. A legal dispute between partners in the real estate group are what cause the significant delay not the pending removal of the fuel storage tanks. 
    DICK
  • Most of my sizes were out - but we made the most of it....and if you’re a fan of hydro flask, they aren’t cheaper anywhere.

Did you find them on the website? I looked while i was looking at clothing, but did not see any. Maybe sold out? 
    Are you talking about the hydroflasks? There was a huge variety, just ordered a few. Look under drinkware in the tailgate and spirit section.
    papagrande
  • I was looking for the hydro flask- just in all the wrong places apparently. Just ordered a couple myself. Thanks!
  • moosemoose Wealthy Alum
    I came into one of those hydro flasks by chance a couple months ago. I had never heard of it again until now. What makes them so special that they’re ~$40?

Now that I know your point it's fair. But as 2xHawk mentioned there were other factors in play. I am certain the city is frustrated with the slow progress just as you are. Not a lot you can do during legal battles except hurry up and wait. 

Most of my sizes were out - but we made the most of it....and if you’re a fan of hydro flask, they aren’t cheaper anywhere.

Yes. And they came separate from California. The rest of my order came from Oxford.
    moose said:

I came into one of those hydro flasks by chance a couple months ago. I had never heard of it again until now. What makes them so special that they’re ~$40?

Great for water or coffee. Well insulated. No metal flavor. Definitely not worth $40. But at half off and “free” shipping if you were ordering Miami apparel and paying $7 anyway - it’s a good deal. I got the 16oz for $12.
    moose
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Now 75% off what’s left
    AORedHawk33