Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Different paths

I have helped bring a number of people though the gates of Miami. Three neighbors, a friend of my son's  and a couple other kids of work colleagues. I have one that was a borderline case academically. — lower GPA very good ACT scores. (I always thought the kid was a late bloomer who just wasn't wired for the high school environment) but he loves Miami. I was always honest and told him his chances were pretty iffy. Those chances because even less this year as he was in an auto accident in which the other drive fell asleep and hit him head on. He spent weeks recovering and his grades suffered further.  He has been accepted to Bowling Green and is happy about it, but it's not Miami. He has some questions maybe some people here can answer:

1) What is are you overall thoughts on BG as a school? 
2) Should he try transferring into Miami after year at BG or even not go to BG and instead go to community college? Anyone here transfer in, and if so what was the process like?

Comments

• RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

I have helped bring a number of people though the gates of Miami. Three neighbors, a friend of my son's  and a couple other kids of work colleagues. I have one that was a borderline case academically. — lower GPA very good ACT scores. (I always thought the kid was a late bloomer who just wasn't wired for the high school environment) but he loves Miami. I was always honest and told him his chances were pretty iffy. Those chances because even less this year as he was in an auto accident in which the other drive fell asleep and hit him head on. He spent weeks recovering and his grades suffered further.  He has been accepted to Bowling Green and is happy about it, but it's not Miami. He has some questions maybe some people here can answer:

2) Should he try transferring into Miami after year at BG or even not go to BG and instead go to community college? Anyone here transfer in, and if so what was the process like?
    Perhaps a call to Miami's admissions office might yield the best advice for this young man. I'm sure they'll have some insights as to the best pathway to get into Miami.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    A very popular choice seems to be going to MU Hamilton or Middletown and then transferring to Oxford after 1 year. My very biased opinion is that any Miami campus (including regionals) is academically better than BG
  • BG‘s fine. What does the kid want to major in? What’s he interested in? That’ll lead him down the path to where he needs to go to school.

Between now and then, has he tried taking a class in the Tri C system, or any community college in that area of the state? See what he’s interested in and how he’ll do in a college level class.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

A very popular choice seems to be going to MU Hamilton or Middletown and then transferring to Oxford after 1 year. My very biased opinion is that any Miami campus (including regionals) is academically better than BG

My best friend transferred in from Miami Middletown to Oxford after one semester and it worked well for him. BG sucks.
    Nescacdad
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Bee Gee has some good majors. Their education majors always seem to get jobs. Others are OK. That being said, the Miami diploma looks better on the resume. We are better at preparing young adults for life. A lot of good people get good jobs after leaving Bee Gee. Miami is a step or two or seven above.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

agc said:

My best friend transferred in from Miami Middletown to Oxford after one semester and it worked well for him. BG sucks.
    Same. I would highly recommend this avenue if he's set on going to Miami. Also, I believe courses at branch campuses are cheaper than main campus. So could possibly save some $$ too.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    He's looking to become a secondary school teacher, probably integrated social studies and coach. So his major at BG would be education and a minor in coaching.  Being a Cleveland, I'm not sure Miaimi branch campus is in the offing unless he's got some relatives down there I don't know about. 
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Talk to the folks in admissions and get their feedback. If the kid's dead set on getting to Miami then follow their advice if at all possible. 

BG or any other school can be a better choice than Miami depending on what the student's major is. And in fact it may well be a much better school for that major than Miami. (I know, hard to believe isn't it?)

Good luck with your friend's student. It's a tough choice at that age. 

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I relocated to Oxford from Hamilton after 2 years. No complaints, and I saved quite a bit of money.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

Talk to the folks in admissions and get their feedback. If the kid's dead set on getting to Miami then follow their advice if at all possible. 

BG or any other school can be a better choice than Miami depending on what the student's major is. And in fact it may well be a much better school for that major than Miami. (I know, hard to believe isn't it?)

While every school can have their programs, Miami's education degrees are some of the best in the country and rated the highest in the state.
    AORedHawk33DICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Davearama said:

While every school can have their programs, Miami's education degrees are some of the best in the country and rated the highest in the state.
    I've seen them ranked as high as 2nd nationally.
    Interesting. I'll let him know and we'll see what we can do for him. He's a good kid. Went from likely being a D-II baseball player, maybe even D-I to being a kid who's always going to have a limp. Tough year for him. 
  • MacCrackenMacCracken Havighurstite
    New apartments are going in near Miami Hamilton, so there may be options available.  
    I second talking to Miami's admissions office.
  • JWagsJWags Havighurstite
    DevilGrad said:

Iam4hawks said:

He's looking to become a secondary school teacher, probably integrated social studies and coach. So his major at BG would be education and a minor in coaching.  Being a Cleveland, I'm not sure Miaimi branch campus is in the offing unless he's got some relatives down there I don't know about. 

I'm sure he's disappointed right now, but my advice to him would be to go to Bowling Green, if that's the best acceptance he has and start getting excited about it.  First off, it's only November.  Regular decision applications aren't even due until January 1st (later at many public schools).  If he wants to apply to some more schools, he should do so and then evaluate his options in April after acceptances come back.  

Bowling Green has a good secondary education program and places well into Ohio public schools, especially in the northern part of the state.  It's not as pretty as Oxford, but it still offers all the bells and whistles of a state school college experience.  

The other two old-line "normal colleges" in the state system are Kent and Ohio U.  For as much as we love to mock both places, they have solid secondary education programs and may give him additional choices.  OU is still *slightly* easier to get into than Miami, and Athens would give him more of a classic "college town" feel.  

With his HS track record, to pursue secondary education and stay in it, he'll want to be somewhere with academics that are challenging but not overwhelming and where he can graduate with little or no debt.  I'd understand the laser focus on Miami from a career perspective if he eventually wants to move out of state to teach (because Miami has a broader national reputation), but you can get a great education and be fully equipped to be a successful teacher coming out of any of the four traditional ed schools in Ohio -- and probably a few others as well.  

This is good advice.

I have a good friend who had an outside chance at walking on at BG, so he ended up there for a year in which he didn't play football at all.  Did good, not great in school, transferred to Miami pretty easily after his freshman year and really blossomed.

If he can get into OU, I think thats a great reco.  Obviously I had my hate for OU, and was frankly pretty turned off and annoyed by the way they viewed Miami and Miami students (especially not growing up in Ohio), that being said its a really pretty campus and a cool college town, you could do way worse.  Either way, I recommend he goes and gets a true college experience somewhere.

Freshman year is not the end of the world.  My sister just missed the "quota" from my extremely competitive HS to get into UW-Madison.  Went to Iowa for a year, had fun, got the full experience, but still had her heart set on UW.  She transferred and lived happily ever after.
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    Iam4hawks said:

I
    I can weigh in on your first question.  My daughter went to BGSU and just graduated in May.  It is very good in education, music and in business.  There have been many new buildings put up on campus and lots of amenities for students.  It's no Miami, but a good school nonetheless.
    thechuck_2112grumpy1DICK
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    ...and they are currently #8 in the Pairwise...
    This young man has the following offers on the table and values input from those who may know these schools better than he does at the moment.  Here is where he's been accepted and his thoughts: 

1) Toledo — visited, didn't feel it in any way, shape, or form. 

2) Cleveland State — not a big attraction there, but far less expensive than the rest, but lacks a "college experience." 

3) Bowling Green — has visited twice, enjoyed the campus, but seemed to be missing something. 

4) The new player — Kent State, likes the campus, the distance, has his major/minor. Doesn't really know how it compares to Kent even after doing research they seem very similar in many ratings one out doing the other in some ways but no others. 

Still awaiting Miami and OU's decisions, not likely  although a satellite campus isn't out of the question and transferring in. 

How would you compare Kent and BG?  HIs major is secondary education and minor is athletic coaching.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 20
    I know very little about Kent, but BG has good education programs. I hired several of them.
    Professor_Fate
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    My wife went to Kent and loved it