Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Top 10 Wins

AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
edited December 2019 in Miami Memos
I was going stir crazy today in between shoveling in NJ... had some time:

As we finish off the decade in this upcoming month, I thought it’d be fun to take a look back at some of the highlights and lowlights of Miami athletics over the last ten years January 2010- December 2019.

Top 10 Wins
Top 10 Losses
Top 10 Student Athletes
Top 5 Home Runs
Top 5 Let Downs

Please agree, disagree, rip me apart, provide your own hot takes.... Lists are in order. Here it goes…..

TOP 10 WINS

10. Streak is over; October 4, 2014
In a crazy shootout, that saw Miami down 21 at the half, we came back and won the game in the flukiest of ways. Rather than call a timeout/spike the ball and kick a FG, UMASS elected to run up to the line from inside their own 10 and got tackled at the 1 yard line to end the game and our 21 game losing streak.

9. Miami Volleyball; 2014-2018
Not A win, but a culture of winning. From 2014-2018, the women’s volleyball team got to the 20 win mark and beyond. Impressive feat.

8. Softball wins an NCAA Tournament Game; May 20, 2016
After beating OU in the MAC championship, we went on to win a first round NCAA tournament game against Notre Dame. Pretty awesome accomplishment. Game was nationally televised on Big Ten Network.

7. College Football’s 150th Anniversary; November 6, 2019
The only game on TV that night was the Miami RedHawks vs heavy favored Ohio U. With Desmond Howard on the call and in front of a sold out Peden Stadium, Miami upset the Bobcats with a 53 yard field goal in the 4th quarter to win the game.

6. 2015 NCHC Championship; March 25, 2015
NJ Devil Blake Coleman scored 3 goals to beat St. Cloud State and win our first and only NCHC championship thus far. This gave us the overall #1 seed in the NCAA playoffs, yet sent us on the road to play Providence (more on that later)

5. Treadwell’s Last Win; October 27,2012
Who would’ve predicted what would possibly transpire over the next several years? Miami beat #23 ranked OU to get to 4-4 on the season and in the driver's seat in the MAC East with 4 games to play. Tyler Tettleton stupidly took a sack with no timeouts left in the waning seconds of the game.

4. Miami Field Hockey; 2017-2019
Three straight MAC championships and 3 straight NCAA tournament appearances. Miami Field Hockey is our banner program right now with no signs of slowing down.

3. “The Rebuild is Complete” ; November 22, 2016
After starting the year 0-6, Chuck Martin, Gus Ragland, and team orchestrated an incredible turn around in MAC play finishing the year 6-6. Alonzo Smith polished the game off with a 50 yard run in the final minute of the game to send us bowling for the first time since 2010.

2. Lets Go Get Our Damn Trophy; January 6, 2011
I’m just going to leave this here:

“Miami. Prayer. Answered!”; December 3, 2010
Where were you when Chris Givens caught the tipped ball on 4th and 20? What an awesome experience that was to be watching live. In my opinion, this was by far the most exciting, memorable moment of the decade. I still get goosebumps listening to Bake’s call.

1b. December 7, 2019
How fitting would it be to have bookend MAC Championships in this decade. Lets fucking go.
redhawk11Re6H5wkgentbaseball12

Comments

• redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Outstanding post
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019
    That TM one yard run!  ....and Guidry speech.

PS Tracey Woods, what could have been.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    That is one great post.  Watching those two videos bring back great memories.  Every player on our team needs to see those videos.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

That is one great post.  Watching those two videos bring back great memories.  Every player on our team needs to see those videos.

Debating on whether to put up my top 10 losses list...  That end of 2010 run was so much fun
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Thanks for sharing the videos!
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Wow!what a great video of the MACC win in 2010! Loved the fiery speech by Haywood and watching our back up QB play with poise. Some great run blocking as well and fun to see Merriweather refuse to be denied at the goal line.
    NescacdadDICK
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    When ESPN/SportsCenter did its end of the year show in 2010, they used audio of Haywood pumping up the team prior to the Temple as backdrop on a montage of (iirc) top plays of the year. I wonder if that can be uncovered with a little digging. 

Those last few weeks of 2010 season up to the bowl game were so much damn fun. It took Treadwell about 2 weeks into the 2011 season to totally undo the excitement.  
    Re6H5wk
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019
    Momentum is a funny thing. I was really confident heading into that 2010 MACC even though we were heavy, heavy underdogs. And obviously NIU was on a roll heading into that game but for some reason I had a great feeling about that night. Even trailing in the 4th quarter, I felt like something was just going to break our way because that team just had a knack for making a play (or plays) when it mattered most. And then Boucher, Givens, Robinson, Brown & co. made it happen.

Early December at Ford Field can be magical. Here’s to the chance to create some more magic there this weekend.
    Re6H5wkNYCRedHawkNescacdadredhawk11killgas20AORedHawk33DICK
    Don’t forget Andy Cruse... 80 yard(?) TD catch earlier that season at CMU got the ball rolling with the wild finishes
    Mowch
  • No arguments with anything on the list. Some honorable mentions:

Men's Basketball:
    • February 2015 over Kent St.
    • November 2017 over Fordham
    • December 2010 over a Xavier team that ended up getting a 6 seed

Women's Basketball
    • January 2019 @ CMU
    • January 2019 @ Ohio

Hockey:
    • 2011 conference tournament
    • 2010 regional final vs. Michigan

Baseball:
    • Nuxhall Classic 3-peat 17-19
    • Win over #13 Louisville in 2014
    • Shutout of Morehead St. in 2017
    • Winning 2 @ ASU in 2018

Plus, I think a bunch of other sports including tennis, swimming, and cross country have won conference championships, along with obviously synchro's many national championships. Also, on the club side women's hockey has won a few national championships and handball has beaten Ohio State at the collegiate national championships a few times.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

Hockey:

This 100% has to be on the list and near the top. What a night.
    mz343redhawk11DICKdudis41
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    In Charlie's last season (2011-12), we beat UD.  His last win was at home vs. Kent.
    yanksalex said:

Hockey:

This 100% has to be on the list and near the top. What a night.
    No lie... That was the last game I cut off the list. I vaguely remember that game, but remember the 7-1 loss to BC in the frozen 4 way more vividly.
    Well if you ever start the bottom 10.....

A 22 point loss to NKU @ home has to be there.
    edited December 2019
    skins said:

I made a top 10 losses list.... do you put that ahead of the CMU loss where Marcus Keene dropped 50 on us? How about Wilmington loss? There are a lot....
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019

skins said:

I made a top 10 losses list.... do you put that ahead of the CMU loss where Marcus Keene dropped 50 on us? How about Wilmington loss? There are a lot....
    What about the CMU loss where they shot 70% from three and beat us by 30? What about game where Raven Lee put up 50 off the bench on us? What about the 53-41 NIU game from 2014? God, the Cooper era was so much fun.
    Re6H5wk
    Wilmington has to be up there!
    Scalper
  • Update the list!
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    Top win today is easy to find. It’s good to be the king.
    redhawk11
    No updating needed... 1a and 1b. Let’s fucking go
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    This article on sbnation ran a few days ago about the 2010 team. Pretty good.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/2010-the-last-time-miami-played-in-the-mac-title-game/ar-BBXIRSE