Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Top 10 Student Athletes of the Decade

AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
edited December 2019 in Miami Memos
Top 10 Student-Athletes of the Decade

Honorable Mention- Chris Wideman

10. Sam Sloman- Miami Football
We went from every PAT being an adventure, to a kicker who routinely makes 50 yard field goals. Will he play on Sundays? Remains to be seen, but he is the best kicker to ever come through Miami University and has saved jobs.

9. Quinten Rollins- Miami Basketball and Football
Solid MAC point guard, but an NFL caliber DB. Q was drafted in the 2nd round by the GB Packers after playing only one year of football with the RedHawks. Injuries derailed his career, but he had a few real bright spots in his rookie year

8. Katie Tomasic- Volleyball
Two time first team All-MAC, and leader of the team that was part of 5 straight 20 win seasons.

7. Zac Dysert- Miami Football
Bounced around on a few practice squads in the NFL. He was probably the only guy to keep this program afloat during the first two years of Treadwell.

6. Blake Coleman- Miami Hockey
Played for the RedHawks from 2011-2015. Drafted by the NJ Devils where he just signed a 3 year deal worth $6m. Biggest accomplishment is marrying a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.

5. Sean Kuraly- Miami Hockey
Mainstay with the Bruins for two years now. Had a nice career with the RedHawks. His dad is inducted in the Miami hall of fame, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see Sean there too.

4. Lauren Dickerson- Womens Basketball
She is in the top 10 in program history in points, 20point games, assists, FGs made, and 3pt made. Oh, and she’s just starting her senior year. This girl is stupid good.

3. Reilly Smith- Miami Hockey
One of the best hockey players to come out of Miami University. He is in his 8th year in the league.

2. Brandon Brooks- Miami Football
Might just be the best guard in the NFL right now. Super Bowl Champion, Pro Bowler, All around great guy, and terrific representative of Miami University.

1. Paula Portugal- Field Hockey
She was an All-American and a finalist for player of the year. Nothing more to be said.
MHT_Meme_TeamCMHskinsDICK

Comments

• NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Nice analysis and well-written presentation.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Adam Eaton played for Miami in 2010.
    Re6H5wk
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Jessica Simpson, Softball, is missing from your list.
    And Pei Lin, diving.
    TruckCrewProfessor_Fate
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    ..and without checking pretty sure Eaton played 3 years for the RedHawks baseball team...all MAC his last year.
  • RandyRandy Dodds God
    I’ll go to my grave insisting that Dysert had the natural talent to play on Sundays. His whole career might be the biggest what-if due to the coaching situations around the teams he was a part of. Truly a shame he couldn’t have received better coaching.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Pei Lin was NCAA national runner up (a few times I thin) and then top 5 several other times. I think she would be my addition to the list, but others look good.
    Nescacdad
  • Andy Miele won the 2011 Hobey Baker Award in hockey. He would certainly have to be on the list.
    Spanks004CAredhawk13NescacdadAORedHawk33D_DayTruckCrew
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    Chet Mason? He and Ron Harper are the only BB players to record 1,000 points, 700 rebounds, 300 assists and 150 steals in a career.
    bpat said:

Chet Mason? He and Ron Harper are the only BB players to record 1,000 points, 700 rebounds, 300 assists and 150 steals in a career.

Chet Mason was in the early 2000s...this is the last decade here
  • CAredhawk13CAredhawk13 Senior Barfly
    edited December 2019
    Andy Miele had 71 points in 2010-11 and won the Hobey Baker, leaving him off this list is a crime

Also want to toss some love to Anthony Louis finished his career top-15 in points all-time at Miami
    MHT_Meme_Team
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

Andy Miele won the 2011 Hobey Baker Award in hockey. He would certainly have to be on the list.

He should be #1 or #2 IMO.
    grumpy1
    I would put Miele, Pei Lin, Paula, Smith, then Brooks...Sloman is a great kicker, maybe the best we've had, but don't think one of the best athletes for the decade.
    agc
    Spanks004 said:

I would put Miele, Pei Lin, Paula, Smith, then Brooks...Sloman is a great kicker, maybe the best we've had, but don't think one of the best athletes for the decade.

No doubt we don’t need a 2nd team All-MAC kicker as a top 10 decade team. Dysert doesn’t belong either.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Miele was a total oversight, probably due to fact he played half his career in another decade.

This was the first I’ve heard of Pei Lin.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

bpat said:

Chet Mason was in the early 2000s...this is the last decade here
    Yep, you're right. My mind aint as sharp as it used to be in my dotage ;)

Miele was a total oversight, probably due to fact he played half his career in another decade.

This was the first I’ve heard of Pei Lin.

We've had a few threads on her over the years, but easy to miss since in Swimming & Diving forum. She was the most dominant diver in MAC history, and consistently top 5 in the country all four years.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Patrick Flavin
    redhawk11 said:

Patrick Flavin

Top 10, don't think so. Obviously the best golfer we've had this decade. What did he end up placing at NCAAs each year?
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    Pei Lin — Diving
    Jessica Simpson — Softball

• NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Andy Miele needs to be on the list. What about Michael Bramos, or did he graduate in 2009?

Andy Miele needs to be on the list. What about Michael Bramos, or did he graduate in 2009?

I think he graduated in 2009...maybe 2010, but that’s really just half a season in 2010 if so...
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Courtney Osborn is the all time leading scorer in women's hoops, and without looking it up, I think she leads in 3's and assists.  Lauren MAY pass her in these categories this year.
    redhawk11grumpy1
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    This is a tough list.
  • I’m just here to say Andy Miele and Pei Lin were criminal oversights and therefore AO is a criminal and should go to prison.
    Re6H5wk
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Senior Barfly
    edited December 2019
    Spanks004 said:

redhawk11 said:

Patrick Flavin

Top 10, don't think so. Obviously the best golfer we've had this decade. What did he end up placing at NCAAs each year?
    Flavin was the best golfer in Miami history and has a realistic chance to make the PGA Tour in the next 2-5 years. He tees off tomorrow in the PGA Latin America Tour Championship, which will determine his status on the Korn Ferry tour (formerly web.com tour) for next year.

His college resume includes lowest stroke average in Miami history (72.99), most career wins at Miami (8), 4th Miami golfer to make First Team All MAC every year. He played in the NCAA regional all 4 Years (3x at large selection) and was on the All-Midwest team 3 times. He never got out of NCAA regionals, which is virtually impossible for an individual. Making the NCAA finals as an individual would be akin to the hoops team making the sweet 16 or the football team making a NY6 bowl.

Not selecting Patrick Flavin to the all decade team is criminal and AO should serve a life sentence for this injustice.
    redhawk11Spanks004
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

I’m just here to say Andy Miele and Pei Lin were criminal oversights and therefore AO is a criminal and should go to prison.

I will citizen's arrest him tonight if you promise to be judge and jury in the morning. We can get him locked up for life by lunch.
    grumpy1thechuck_2112skin66
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I’d like to plea-bargain please. Rather than jail time I’d like to watch the replay of last nights Miami-NKU Basketball game. I feel that is punishment enough.
    Re6H5wkThe_SackmanTruckCrew19goSkinsgrumpy1redhawk11thechuck_2112MooreHawkkillgas20skin66and 1 other.
    Iam4hawks said:

Pei Lin — Diving

Jessica Simpson — Softball

I agree. That’s why I mentioned them earlier, of course.
    redhawk11
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum

I’d like to plea-bargain please. Rather than jail time I’d like to watch the replay of last nights Miami-NKU Basketball game. I feel that is punishment enough.

I feel that may be cruel and unusual punishment.
    killgas20skin66