Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Top 5 Successes; Top 5 Letdowns

This is more directed at Athletic Department as a whole. Things that have improved upon a decade ago, and things that have continued to hamper us

Top 5 Athletic Department Home Runs

5. Ticketing Department
The horror stories are true from the Bates administration. The ticketing department has seemingly pulled 180. Most recently, giving out free tickets to all football alumni for the MAC championship game is a class move.

4. Media/Graphic Design/Equipment Department
You learn how lucky we are to have Steve Baker and his crew when you watch another school’s broadcast. Those guys are top-notch. The graphic design team at Miami has also put out some great content in the last few years, especially on the football side. The equipment staff is routinely featured on ESPN for cancer fundraisers and CFB 150 helmets.

3. Football Facilities
Some tremendous facilities have been built in the last 5 years. Between the DISC and Gunlock, we have some of the best facilities in the Midwest for football. David Sayler has made this happen.

2.Academic successes
Graduation rates continue to top the MAC across the board. David Sayler once said, “the NCAA needs Miami more than Miami needs the NCAA.” He is right about this. We are one of the last few schools who better our student-athlete’s lives through academics.

1a. Minor Sport Success
You don’t see them on ESPN or read about them online, but our minor sports have crushed it this decade. Field Hockey is a national power, volleyball has had an incredible run, swimming/diving, golf, track all have seemingly won MAC championships recently or had individuals who performed well in tournaments.

1b. Brad Bates leaving for BC
Who knows if new facilities are ever built for football or if any tough decisions would ever have been executed if Bates had stayed here? The department seemed to be in complete disarray when Bates left. Between football and basketball, Mike Haywood is the only hire that has experienced any sort of success. Boston College ran him out of town in a few short years, and they have not recovered from his poor leadership.

Top 5 Misses

5. NCHC
It’s a conference we have shown that we cannot compete in. On top of that, the travelling is absurd and we are just bleeding money from being in it. Despite what the hockey blue bloods will say, no one wants to go see a Miami-St Cloud game on a Friday night in Goggin, as much as they’d rather see a Miami-Notre Dame hockey game.

4. Apathy
Dwindling fanbase and two (three including hockey) sports have struggled like crazy this decade. Attendance has dropped. Members of the Athletic Department think MHT’s negativity is a major problem. To that I refer to the quote- “Hate is not the opposite of love. Apathy is the opposite of love.” The more our major sports struggle, the more apathy there will be. (See #1)

3. The John Cooper Hiring Debacle
The story goes that James Whitford was coming to Miami until someone seemingly told him not to, because “the AD does not support basketball.” John Cooper was offered the job in a panic move by B2. This did not turn out well. The best part about the John Cooper era was keeping Sean Mock around Miami basketball.

2. “The Rebuild is Complete”
Declaring that the football rebuild was complete after the 2016 season turned out to be a premature move. Turns out there was more rebuilding to do. The MAC record is strong, but we are exactly at .500 since that statement was declared, and no winning seasons or bowl games to show for it.

1. Basketball (Written before NKU game)
There isn’t a program in the MAC that is in such desperate need of an upgrade as the Miami Mens and Womens basketball programs. Between donors not stepping up, potential donors not being contacted, lack of outreach to former players, or plans being released, no one seems to know what the answer is here. Can Jack Owens win at Miami? Who knows. Can any coach win at Miami at this point? Not sure. It is so difficult to sustain a winning program in mid-major basketball these days, but to have to recruit to Millett Hall and no fans makes it near impossible. I do not envy Jack Owens and staff.

Comments

• The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Members of the Athletic Department think MHT’s negativity is a major problem

That's a giant plus IMO.
    redhawk11AORedHawk33
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Does the soda have carbonation yet? Are they reading our suggestions?
  • profholt82profholt82 Wealthy Alum
    The anti-NCHC sentiment on this board is getting tiresome. It's the best conference in collegiate hockey, and we're in it. Sure, we're down right now, but that can be corrected. It would be much more difficult to overcome being trapped in a mediocre conference. Yes, the CCHA was awesome, and I miss it, but the B10 teams have their own conference now, and just because some fans would "rather see a Miami-Notre Dame hockey game," as far as I know, time travel hasn't been invented, and currently, Miami is not a member of Hockey East, so short of working out a random OOC deal, it ain't happening.

After the B10 schools left the CCHA, there was a scramble. ND jumped to HEast, and the best schools in the WCHA joined up with us and Western Mich to form the NCHC. Had that not happened, we'd be playing games with lesser programs just east of Siberia in the current WCHA, and then we'd really be in a sorry state. I'd say we made the right move based on our options.
    NescacdadMooreHawkskin66
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    Notre Dame is actually Big 10 now. WMU played MSU and ND OOC this year. I'd be interested to know what is stopping us from playing those types of OOC matchups
  • MooreHawk said:

Notre Dame is actually Big 10 now. WMU played MSU and ND OOC this year. I'd be interested to know what is stopping us from playing those types of OOC matchups

We played Ohio State every year when I was in school (2014-2018)
  • I feel the singular greatest success or enhancement made over the last 10 yrs is the administrations willingness to allow athletics to raise money for facilities (beyond former athletes and ticket holders). Previously, the AD’s in place were gun shy to push the issue (Hyman, Maturi & Bates) because they wanted to get quick wins and get out and/or were told they couldn’t by the admin (Presidents & Development). MU is in a MUCH better position for greater and long term success due to the infrastructure improvements (not inc. BB). With leadership it can and should happen - soon.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly

MooreHawk said:

We played Ohio State every year when I was in school (2014-2018)
    We haven't played OSU since NYE 2016. I believe Rico said something at the time to the effect that it was a decision on their part to stop playing us, which is unfortunate. Still there are 6 other B10 teams. My point is that I wonder if it's a lack of initiative on our part or if they don't want to play us for some reason.