Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Mediocrity-The New Status Quo?

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
edited December 2019 in Miami Memos
I am borrowing some of this from Joe and Alex, but they made excellent points and I think they need to be shared. In the last 14 years, much of it under Sayler, we have had 1 winning football season, only 1 win against a P5 team (Syracuse if you count them), only 2 bowl appearances, and only 1 bowl win. Pretty much the worst in the MAC over that time frame. Since Sayler took over the helm, we have been to 1 hockey tournament (lost first round), 0 NCAA basketball tournaments, 0 NITs (except the women under Megan), 1 CBI (first round loss), 0 MAC championships in football (until MAC East this year).  Other than perhaps women's volleyball, we have not had one consistently good team in any sport over the last 14 years. Not one. We have fired football coaches, hockey coach, mens basketball coach, womens basketball coaches. Yet, we are still mired in mediocrity (or the new status quo). We have a dwindling and largely apathetic fan base. And frankly, given the above, who can blame them. 

I am tired of seeing performances like this past weekend in football and last night in basketball. And frankly, I am tired of seeing people apologize for this. Being a Miami fan is largely a joyless exercise. And let's be honest, there are very few of us left. Is the sky falling? I don't know. But what I do know is we have settled for mediocrity for so long, I fear it is the new status quo. 
RenmancoNickskinCMHskinsAORedHawk33skin66redhawk11DICKChiefPanicNescacdad

Comments

• RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    You seemed to pick and choose your outrage by year to suit your argument but under Sayler

* Football has clearly and significantly improved and we are playing in the MAC title game Saturday. The OOC record has to get better but this year we had little chance with 3 road games vs top 20 teams

* Mens basketball is not going well - jury is very much out on this group- year 3 and we are seeing regression. Still an improvement over Cooper which is who was here before

* Hockey? When would you have fired Rico? Dont you think Bergeron is a good choice? The end of the CCHA wasnt good for us but was that Sayler’s fault

* womens basketball made a huge upgrade when he replaced Maria with Duffy. Duffy has two great years and then she unexpectedly bolts for Marquette. Personally I am surprised that nobody seems to blame her. It does appear that Sayler and team were caught off guard by it but the resume of the new coach is good.

In my opinion football and womens basketball have upgraded since Sayler took over. I think hockey is on the right track. Mens basketball is the question mark

I do agree that Miami fan apathy is at a record level and that is something that could be a big threat going forward. I cant imagine anyone had fun going to the bball game last night
    naptownHawkelpalitoDSnyder15
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    If last night was mediocrity I would hate to see bad.
    skin66skins
  • CMHskinsCMHskins Havighurstite
    I take exception saying we should not win against top 25 teams. First and foremost we should be competitive against any team. In both football and basketball we lie down and let our opponents run over us. Secondly, Miami historically was not only competitive but would beat top 25 teams in football and basketball.
    Why has this changed? I believe as Bluesman has said we become complacent and are happy about being mediocre. Our fan base thinks it is great we are going to the MACC in Detroit but why should we settle for that as our ceiling. Shouldn't we expect more. Shouldn't we hold our coaching staff to higher standards? As a fan base shouldn't we demand the most from our teams?
    I believe the fan base overall supports mediocrity and make plenty of excuses to support their position.
    Bluesman
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

You seemed to pick and choose your outrage by year to suit your argument but under Sayler

* Football has clearly and significantly improved and we are playing in the MAC title game Saturday. The OOC record has to get better but this year we had little chance with 3 road games vs top 20 teams

* Mens basketball is not going well - jury is very much out on this group- year 3 and we are seeing regression. Still an improvement over Cooper which is who was here before

* Hockey? When would you have fired Rico? Dont you think Bergeron is a good choice? The end of the CCHA wasnt good for us but was that Sayler’s fault

* womens basketball made a huge upgrade when he replaced Maria with Duffy. Duffy has two great years and then she unexpectedly bolts for Marquette. Personally I am surprised that nobody seems to blame her. It does appear that Sayler and team were caught off guard by it but the resume of the new coach is good.

In my opinion football and womens basketball have upgraded since Sayler took over. I think hockey is on the right track. Mens basketball is the question mark

I do agree that Miami fan apathy is at a record level and that is something that could be a big threat going forward. I cant imagine anyone had fun going to the bball game last night

This is the apologist behavior I was talking about. I am sorry RS, but I didn't pick and choose by year. If you read carefully I talked about a 14 year period. Then gave examples of the mediocrity/futility our "major" programs have had. Really what you are saying is the AD has made facilities upgrades to certain programs. (I won't go into what major program has been completely ignored. We all know what that is.). But I ask you, have those facility upgrades translated to wins on the field/court/rink? Yes, the physical upgrades are terrific. But if what goes on inside them is mediocre, does it matter what the façade looks like? Or put another way, how about the actual performance match the upgrades. 
    Well if you take our last 14 years then hockey has done pretty well with #1 seeds and an NCAA runner up - that is what I was referring too.

I totally agree that I would rather have winning records over shiny new buildings. In fact over the last 20 years the most successful MAC BB teams all play in arenas older than Millet (KSU-Akron and Ohio) and I personally think both the JAR and MAC center are dumps

I just dont know why you blame the current AD as much as the prior AD- he had to fire all 4 coaches he inherited from Bates and for good reason.

• Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    There's nothing "new" about this mediocrity.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    I think this also gets to Fred’s point in another thread. We care about sports but it appears students don’t much. So if that’s the case then why would Miami? It doesn’t appear to affect applications. I watched a little Iowa versus Syracuse men’s bb last night and carrier dome was pretty empty.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    There are dozens of studies out there that show a positive correlation between successful athletic programs and the quality of student who is applying to the school.

I'm not as well versed in this as others, but how has Miami fared in overall university rankings since early 2000s?  Has it been status quo or have we risen at all?
    ---------------

I agree that Bates left DS with a total mess.  Not only should our facilities have been upgraded in the Bates era, but he also left DS with the worst D1 football coach of all time, John Cooper, and the NCHC conference.  The triple crown of awful decisions in Miami athletics history.

We are still reeling from these brutal years.  

Football-  Blues is 100% right that mediocrity is the new status quo.  Competing within the MAC every year and hovering around 6-6, 7-5 appears to be okay for a lot of people.

Basketball- I wish we were mediocre :(
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    AO, you say Brad Bates left Sayler with the NCHC Conference. At the time we were playing at a very high level. Given Jim Delaney blowing up college hockey, what were our other options?
    edited December 2019
    Redsea said:

Well if you take our last 14 years then hockey has done pretty well with #1 seeds and an NCAA runner up - that is what I was referring too.

I totally agree that I would rather have winning records over shiny new buildings. In fact over the last 20 years the most successful MAC BB teams all play in arenas older than Millet (KSU-Akron and Ohio) and I personally think both the JAR and MAC center are dumps

I just dont know why you blame the current AD as much as the prior AD- he had to fire all 4 coaches he inherited from Bates and for good reason.

And how have the replacements done? And for how many years are we going to blame Bates? He deserves a ton of blame. He sucked. But how long has our current AD been in his job?  The answer is he is completing year 7, started in 2012. In your job, 7 years after you have taken over, would your employer continually accept, "well my predecessor left me a mess"? At some point the current AD has to accept responsibility. And yes, I understand there are certain constraints. But this is his department and he needs to not only run it properly, make it successful, but also advocate for it continually.  As Pres. Truman said, "the buck stops here."
    Let's be honest. Our current AD has made only one truly good hire since he took over, Megan Duffy. I suppose jury is still out on Hendrix and the new hockey coach. Can you name any other coaches he hired that have made a positive impact in wins and losses?
  • Bluesman said:

Redsea said:

(I won't go into what major program has been completely ignored. We all know what that is.)
    redhawk11
    edited December 2019

Bluesman said:

Redsea said:

(I won't go into what major program has been completely ignored. We all know what that is.)
    Talking facility upgrades as well as coaching. They played last night in Millett. I know, the big donor is coming as soon as he sells some land.
    -.- 

But leave facility upgrades for that sport out of it. Others have done much more with less. 
    MHT_Meme_Team
    And if our programs are in such great shape, why did the AD's office yesterday send out a release reducing the price of MAC Championship Game tickets for this weekend to ten dollars? Do successful programs with vibrant fan bases have to do that for a conference championship game? 
    I think Coach Martin was a good hire. It hasnt been great but good and I expect it to be better going forward. He has done and said a lot of dumb things but I would say it is heading in the right direction.
    Redhawks16AORedHawk33redhawk11grumpy1DICK
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019
    Bluesman said:

Let's be honest. Our current AD has made only one truly good hire since he took over, Megan Duffy. I suppose jury is still out on Hendrix and the new hockey coach. Can you name any other coaches he hired that have made a positive impact in wins and losses?

We can debate for months and years on end whether Chuck is the long term answer and whether he can take us over the top. There's no debating that he was the right hire at the time and that he was exactly what our program needed at that moment. The jury is still out on whether he can get us from point B to point C, but he's 100% taken us from point A to point B.
    AORedHawk33redhawk11DICKChiefPanicDevilGradLove_and_Honor
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

I think Coach Martin was a good hire. It hasnt been great but good and I expect it to be better going forward. He has done and said a lot of dumb things but I would say it is heading in the right direction.

Agreed. I think we're finally starting to see the fruits of the work it took to come out of the hole the program was in. Never mind the abomination that Treadwell was as a coach, our facilities was embarrassingly bad as well. This will be our third recruiting class with the APC and I think our talent level is continuing to rise.
    DSnyder15
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Given the hockey team's trajectory at the time, going to the best conference in hockey was a boon. The floor gave out after that, but the initial decision made sense.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    So now what do we do? Any good options or do we stay in NCHC?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum

Redsea said:

Agreed. I think we're finally starting to see the fruits of the work it took to come out of the hole the program was in. Never mind the abomination that Treadwell was as a coach, our facilities was embarrassingly bad as well. This will be our third recruiting class with the APC and I think our talent level is continuing to rise.
    Like in finding depth at QB ??????????????????
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    Cincykid3 said:

Choice is NCHC or WCHA. NCHC is the better option by far. The new WCHA without the Alaskan schools or Alabama is slightly better but not worth it.
  • DSnyder15DSnyder15 Wealthy Alum
    Redsea said:

He picks and chooses his facts to meet his needs....he is an attorney.  How many times have we read that CM "lost the team", "players dislike him" and yada yada yada.  I wish this site had an "ignore button....it would make coming here more enjoyable.  There are a lot of bight and insightful posters here but so many blowhard, know-it-alls and minions that I choose to post very infrequently.  Of the 2 sites I follow...this site has the most knowledgeable fan base but the most annoying too.  My god....this is FOOTBALL....a game.  Enjoy the human side...watching kids grow and develop...teams grow and develop.  Watching OSU you don't get that opportunity....it is all about winning a National Championship.  We get to see kids grow as individuals, as athletes and students.  I would much rather watch this.  Life is not all about winning.  It is about the journey and how we face not winning.

OK...minions you are free to click and mock.  Have at it.  I will say that this is the only site that has the cadre of minions.  This is Miami...I don't get that. 

There are dozens of studies out there that show a positive correlation between successful athletic programs and the quality of student who is applying to the school.

I'm not as well versed in this as others, but how has Miami fared in overall university rankings since early 2000s?  Has it been status quo or have we risen at all?
    ---------------

I agree that Bates left DS with a total mess.  Not only should our facilities have been upgraded in the Bates era, but he also left DS with the worst D1 football coach of all time, John Cooper, and the NCHC conference.  The triple crown of awful decisions in Miami athletics history.

We are still reeling from these brutal years.  

Football-  Blues is 100% right that mediocrity is the new status quo.  Competing within the MAC every year and hovering around 6-6, 7-5 appears to be okay for a lot of people.

Basketball- I wish we were mediocre :(
    The Akron fanatics/idiots have "redefined" "average" so that Bowden was meeting expectations and should not have been fired...the new normal in the MAC is 5-7.  I think we should expect to win 1 OOC game as long as we are playing money games on the road and be at least 5-3 in the MAC.  So the baseline should be 6-6.   Take away the brutal OOC games and make them winnable and that changes.  We can't expect any HC to win OOC money games on the road and fire him if he does not win a fair share.  Seriously...only a moron would make those expectations.  How many attorneys here would like to face an opposition with 10 times the resources and a far weaker case and be expected to win or lose his job??  Unreasonable expectations.
    edited December 2019

Redsea said:

Any coach hired in the MAC will be learning and making mistakes.  The margin for victory is so thin that those mistakes often cost games....not so much when you are OSU playing Akron, Ohio or Miami.  I think CM is a good coach who has made mistakes.  I don't agree with all that he does but unless I am standing on the sidelines...I doubt that I ever will.  Look at it from a big school AD viewpoint....will he hold CM responsible for Ragland pick six at UC??  Missed FG at MS??   Fumble returned for TD against BSU??  The time out fiasco...yes but doubtful he would make the same mistake again.  This board is incredibly critical and has unreasonable expectations. Sayler and CM both hath have done good jobs.  CM could have won more....5 more games and he would have really good results compared to the rest of the league.  I do believe that we win those 5 games if played again because he has learned.  When we get a new guy....he will need to learn too.

• RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Look at our FB schedule for the last 10-12 years compared to Ohio U. They schedule better (fewer body bad games as Dick refers to them) and. consequently, have an easier path to bowl eligibility....which leads to growing fan support.....which leads to more successful fundraising, a formula that has escaped Miami's DNA.

I knew Bates when he was at Miami and he said "Miami could be the next Boise"....BUT, he had no plan and, of course, Miami failed miserably and he left the dumpster fire for DS to fix. The MAC East is the absolute weakest G5 division in all of the G5 conferences and that speaks to the missed opportunity to "become the next Boise" on which Miami whiffed big time.

When you lose a decade in ICA, you may never catch up.
    AORedHawk33NickskinJHVMUFBAlum
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2019
    DSnyder15 said:

Redsea said:

He picks and chooses his facts to meet his needs....he is an attorney.  How many times have we read that CM "lost the team", "players dislike him" and yada yada yada.  I wish this site had an "ignore button....it would make coming here more enjoyable.  There are a lot of bight and insightful posters here but so many blowhard, know-it-alls and minions that I choose to post very infrequently.  Of the 2 sites I follow...this site has the most knowledgeable fan base but the most annoying too.  My god....this is FOOTBALL....a game.  Enjoy the human side...watching kids grow and develop...teams grow and develop.  Watching OSU you don't get that opportunity....it is all about winning a National Championship.  We get to see kids grow as individuals, as athletes and students.  I would much rather watch this.  Life is not all about winning.  It is about the journey and how we face not winning.

OK...minions you are free to click and mock.  Have at it.  I will say that this is the only site that has the cadre of minions.  This is Miami...I don't get that. 
    I know we love Miami and hate Ohio State, but suggesting the football players at Ohio State don't grow as people really pisses me off. All programs have shit heads (one of our players almost killed someone. It was fun watching him grow). All programs have great people who work hard and make the world a better place. Miami is very special, but it isn't the only place that provides an opportunity to grow as a person.

You claim it isn't about winning, it's about the journey. I've had a pretty shitty 13 year journey.

grumpy1
  • MooreHawk said:

Cincykid3 said:

Choice is NCHC or WCHA. NCHC is the better option by far. The new WCHA without the Alaskan schools or Alabama is slightly better but not worth it.
    I have to second this. In WCHA 2.0, we’re still taking a plane everywhere but BG and Ferris, and *maybe* LSSU. Travel costs aren’t that much different from the NCHC, and it isn’t like playing Minnesota State instead of St. Cloud State solves the “why aren’t we playing Michigan” problem.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

DSnyder15 said:

Redsea said:

I know we love Miami and hate Ohio State, but suggesting the football players at Ohio State don't grow as people really pisses me off. All programs have shit heads (one of our players almost killed someone. It was fun watching him grow). All programs have great people who work hard and make the world a better place. Miami is very special, but it isn't the only place that provides an opportunity to grow as a person.

You claim it isn't about winning, it's about the journey. I've had a pretty shitty 13 year journey.

Counter point: Urban Meyer never improved as a human.
    redhawk11grumpy1ChiefPanicMHT_Meme_Team
    edited December 2019
    DSnyder15 said:

Redsea said:

DSnyder-someone asked me to harshly respond to you for these negative comments and attacks, including on my profession. I won’t do that. You are entitled to your opinion. As someone once said, when they go low, we go high. And in that vein, I leave you with a hearty LOVE AND HONOR!
    Re6H5wkBash_Riprock
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    DSnyder15 said:

Redsea said:

Here for the attorney bashing.