Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
C. Trent Rosecrans, Ken Rosenthal and Redleg Nation all reporting the Reds have signed arguably the top remaining free agent, OF Nicholas Castellanos. Reportedly a multi year deal. If you are a Reds fan you can't complain about how aggressive they have been this offseason. OF now with lots of options including Castellanos, Senzel, Winker, Aquino, Akiyama, Ervin. This Reds lineup should be much improved over last year. 
ChrisW1980

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Reds potential lineup:

Akiyama CF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Moustakas 2B
    Castellanos LF
    Aquino RF
    Galvis SS
    Barnhart C
    Pitcher

And this still leaves Senzel and Winker to get worked in somewhere. 
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    Castellanos was a beast for the Cubs down the stretch — you are going to love that guy hitting in GABP. Great gap to gap hitter and should fit well in that park.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    His defense is suspect. At best.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I am about to leave to attend the Sidney Rotary Club meeting ( my stepdad, at 97,still attends regularly) where The Reds Rob Butcher is the featured speaker.  This might be the most interesting and exciting Reds preseason in memory.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

His defense is suspect. At best.

He made a late switch to OF and has improved his defense every year. He was also -7 outs above average, which puts him in the suspect area. RF is pretty easy to play in GABP so it'll probably continue to get better.
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

Reds potential lineup:

Akiyama CF
    Votto 1B
    Suarez 3B
    Moustakas 2B
    Castellanos LF
    Aquino RF
    Galvis SS
    Barnhart C
    Pitcher

And this still leaves Senzel and Winker to get worked in somewhere. 
    At this point it's hard to say with any certainty that Aquino will even make the 25 man roster out of spring training.  He's followed up his brutal September with a poor showing in the Dominican Winter League.
    Mowch
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 27
    DICK said:

I am about to leave to attend the Sidney Rotary Club meeting ( my stepdad, at 97,still attends regularly) where The Reds Rob Butcher is the featured speaker.  This might be the most interesting and exciting Reds preseason in memory.

Rob mentioned that a 4 year deal was worked out with the umpires and for the first time the umpires were willing to discuss having balls and strikes called by a computer.  Here are a couple of new rules in effect for this year:

1.  Rosters are expanded to 26.  No more than 13 pitchers.  Otani would probably qualify as a hitter and not count against the 13, but Michael Lorenzon would probably not qualify as a hitter.
    Rosters would be expanded to 28/14 pitchers for September, but whether or not that would be the same 28 every day was still being negotiated.

2.  A reliever must pitch to at least 3 batters before being removed UNLESS the inning ended before he faced 3 batters.

He said that he was surprised by just how much money the Reds have spent on free agents.  Also, the Reds have long talked about having a franchise philosophy on how to train pitchers and hitters, and that is going to be implemented this Spring, and it should spread throughout the farm system.  There will become a Reds way of doing things.

Suarez is not really an option to move back to SS ( he no longer has a SS body) but Senzel might be a possibility with the two OF FA signings, but Rob expects Galvis to be the regular SS.  Senzel and Winker have to prove that they can stay healthy and play an entire season.
    ChrisW1980
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Havighurstite
    DICK said:

DICK said:

Rob mentioned that a 4 year deal was worked out with the umpires and for the first time the umpires were willing to discuss having balls and strikes called by a computer.  Here are a couple of new rules in effect for this year:

1.  Rosters are expanded to 26.  No more than 13 pitchers.  Otani would probably qualify as a hitter and not count against the 13, but Michael Lorenzon would probably not qualify as a hitter.
    Rosters would be expanded to 28/14 pitchers for September, but whether or not that would be the same 28 every day was still being negotiated.

2.  A reliever must pitch to at least 3 batters before being removed UNLESS the inning ended before he faced 3 batters.

He said that he was surprised by just how much money the Reds have spent on free agents.  Also, the Reds have long talked about having a franchise philosophy on how to train pitchers and hitters, and that is going to be implemented this Spring, and it should spread throughout the farm system.  There will become a Reds way of doing things.

Suarez is not really an option to move back to SS ( he no longer has a SS body) but Senzel might be a possibility with the two OF FA signings, but Rob expects Galvis to be the regular SS.  Senzel and Winker have to prove that they can stay healthy and play an entire season.
    Dick, I can't remember an off season with this much action by the club.  I am super excited for the team this year.  I still think we need a bit more bullpen help.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 27
    I would guess they will be looking at the relievers who are unsigned heading into spring training and our Reds might pick up one or two of those guys.  Each of the last two years we have picked up two  good unsigned FA's in spring training.   That would hopefully get us to the trade deadline, and then we could probably pick up a couple more for the pennant push. :)
    ChrisW1980
    No matter how it turns out, you have to credit the Reds for finally being aggressive and making moves that at least on paper, are positive. 
    ChrisW1980
    Reds raiding the Cubs once again. Reported by Ken Rosenthal that the Reds have signed Pedro Strop, reliever. 1.85 million one year deal. Not bad. If he is good Strop it's a good pickup. And it weakens a rival in the division. 
    ChrisW1980
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 30
    Bluesman said:

Reds raiding the Cubs once again. Reported by Ken Rosenthal that the Reds have signed Pedro Strop, reliever. 1.85 million one year deal. Not bad. If he is good Strop it's a good pickup. And it weakens a rival in the division. 

Weakening a rival is good strategy in Free Agency and it is a definite advantage of signing Castellanos ( Cubs) and Moustakos (Brewers) as well.
    ChrisW1980
  • gentbaseball12gentbaseball12 Senior Barfly
    Bluesman said:

Another shortsighted moved by the penny-pinching turds known as the Ricketts family. I am sure people in Cincy will have mixed feelings about Strop’s sideways hat, but he wasn’t healthy last year and is a great rebound candidate. Filthy slider, plus fastball, great guy to get tough outs in the 7th and 8th innings.
    ChrisW1980
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

Bluesman said:

Another shortsighted moved by the penny-pinching turds known as the Ricketts family. I am sure people in Cincy will have mixed feelings about Strop’s sideways hat, but he wasn’t healthy last year and is a great rebound candidate. Filthy slider, plus fastball, great guy to get tough outs in the 7th and 8th innings.
    And if he plays poorly, it's a short term, low cost deal.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Listening to part of the Reds Hot Stove League program the other night, Tommy Thrall made the point that both our pitching coach and our manager have been talking about the need to get the starters to go later into the game so the Reds do not wear down the bullpen as happened last year.    

YES!!!!  This was one of my major gripes with the way the team was managed last year and I blamed it on the stats analysis guys making incorrect assumptions.  The Reds and perhaps a majority of all the major league teams went all in on the idea of getting most starting pitchers out the third time through the order because statistics show that most mlb pitchers lose effectiveness at that point.  What they did not anticipate or put into their calculations was the effect on the bullpens of having to cover all those extra innings.  If you get 7 innings out of your starter, you can often just finish the game with your top 2 relievers.  If you only get 5 innings out of your starter, it usually takes at least 4 relievers to finish the game.  The result is that either you start overworking your better relievers or you end up giving a much higher number of innings to your 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th men in your bullpen, and some of those guys are not all that good.  Last year was the first time in over 40 years that mlb starters had a better ERA than relievers.

Now I said on here at the end of last year that I hoped the stats analysis guys and David Bell would reevaluate the idea of getting the starters out early before they start to lose and go back to trying to stretch out starters to get more innings.  TC kind of pooh poohed my idea, but I am happy to see that our decision makers have reevaluated and are moving in the direction I think is better.  I wonder  if some other teams who experienced the same thing are also changing or if they are staying with the same theory.  This gives me a lot of confidence in our stats analysis guys because it shows they evaluated what happened last year and changed their approach accordingly which show they are not stubborn or locked in, they are looking at the evidence.
    ChrisW1980
    DICK said:

Listening to part of the Reds Hot Stove League program the other night, Tommy Thrall made the point that both our pitching coach and our manager have been talking about the need to get the starters to go later into the game so the Reds do not wear down the bullpen as happened last year.    

YES!!!!  This was one of my major gripes with the way the team was managed last year and I blamed it on the stats analysis guys making incorrect assumptions.  The Reds and perhaps a majority of all the major league teams went all in on the idea of getting most starting pitchers out the third time through the order because statistics show that most mlb pitchers lose effectiveness at that point.  What they did not anticipate or put into their calculations was the effect on the bullpens of having to cover all those extra innings.  If you get 7 innings out of your starter, you can often just finish the game with your top 2 relievers.  If you only get 5 innings out of your starter, it usually takes at least 4 relievers to finish the game.  The result is that either you start overworking your better relievers or you end up giving a much higher number of innings to your 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th men in your bullpen, and some of those guys are not all that good.  Last year was the first time in over 40 years that mlb starters had a better ERA than relievers.

Now I said on here at the end of last year that I hoped the stats analysis guys and David Bell would reevaluate the idea of getting the starters out early before they start to lose and go back to trying to stretch out starters to get more innings.  TC kind of pooh poohed my idea, but I am happy to see that our decision makers have reevaluated and are moving in the direction I think is better.  I wonder  if some other teams who experienced the same thing are also changing or if they are staying with the same theory.  This gives me a lot of confidence in our stats analysis guys because it shows they evaluated what happened last year and changed their approach accordingly which show they are not stubborn or locked in, they are looking at the evidence.
    Good insight Dick.  I am in agreement 100 per cent.  If you have stud starters, they can eat up a lot of innings to keep the bullpen from being overworked.  When the Reds acquired Bauer last year, he was known for being high in innings pitched.  If he rebounds this year, and with the other starters we have, the starters are more than capable of working deep into games.
    DICK
  • Toronto Blue Jays posting their new facility updates in Dunedin, Florida. I honestly don’t know if the Reds have something like this in Cincinnati, Florida, or Arizona.

https://twitter.com/bluejays/status/1230235608263487488?s=21
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    YouTube TV announces a month before opening day that they're dropping the regional Fox Sports channels. Eff me
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Opening Day!  Perfect weather...
    ChrisW1980
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    Yes - we are heading down to the parade in the next hour;

And we will be having lunch & baseball services in Th!e Taft Ale House
    Missing the game and festivities today.   Fortunately was able to withdraw my vacation day at work and save it for later.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    It has been almost 4 months since this thread has been active.  I am ready for some baseball!  Things are looking very good for the Reds at this point.  Unlike in Spring Training where there were some injury issues, apparently the whole squad has passed corona test and are practicing.  Quotes tend to give me the impression that the team is determined to finally get into the postseason and do something.

Last year the Reds won on opening day, then lost 8 in a row and that put them in a hole which they never were able to get out of.  This year everybody knows a fast start is imperative with the shortened season, and the Reds certainly have the schedule to get off to a great start.  7 of the first 10 games are against the worst team in baseball last year ( and the Tigers don't seem to have added any pieces to get better) and the other 4 games are at home vs the Cubs.

I don't think you can minimize what an opportunity this is.  I just want to point out that last year my other team, the Cleveland Indians went 18-1 vs the Tigers and ended up 24 games over .500.  The Indians remained in the race until the next to last day of the season, based almost entirely on dominating the futile Tigers.  This is the opportunity in front of the Reds.
    AORedHawk33
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    In former Reds news, Yasiel Puig will sign with the Braves. #PuigYourFriend
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    A 2 day disgusting display of bullpen ineptitude!
    AORedHawk33DICKdave67
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Moustakes hits DL and Nick Senzel scratched for not feeling well. Yikes
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

A 2 day disgusting display of bullpen ineptitude!

Same as it ever was. Man, I thought this was fixed after last season.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Bring Hoover back, then you'd expect the worst.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

It has been almost 4 months since this thread has been active.  I am ready for some baseball!  Things are looking very good for the Reds at this point.  Unlike in Spring Training where there were some injury issues, apparently the whole squad has passed corona test and are practicing.  Quotes tend to give me the impression that the team is determined to finally get into the postseason and do something.

Last year the Reds won on opening day, then lost 8 in a row and that put them in a hole which they never were able to get out of.  This year everybody knows a fast start is imperative with the shortened season, and the Reds certainly have the schedule to get off to a great start.  7 of the first 10 games are against the worst team in baseball last year ( and the Tigers don't seem to have added any pieces to get better) and the other 4 games are at home vs the Cubs.

I don't think you can minimize what an opportunity this is.  I just want to point out that last year my other team, the Cleveland Indians went 18-1 vs the Tigers and ended up 24 games over .500.  The Indians remained in the race until the next to last day of the season, based almost entirely on dominating the futile Tigers.  This is the opportunity in front of the Reds.
    The Reds fans on this board can clearly blame Dick for this weekend.
    DSnyder15dave67
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited July 29
    It is starting to resemble last year, where the Reds won on Opening Day, then lost 8 in a row.  Right now it is won on opening day and lost 4 in a row, all at home.

On Sunday I heard an ad that for $75 you can get a cardboard figure of yourself in Reds gear to be sitting in the seats every day, as you may have seen in other cities.  Sadly, I wonder how many more the Reds could have sold if they started this promotion 10 days before the season began.  Optimism and enthusiasm were pretty high then.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    Losing 4 in a row in a 60 game season is like losing 10 games in a 162 game season.

This is worse than last year.