Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami Cancels In-Person Classes

agcagc Senior Barfly
edited March 10 in Miami Memos
Daughter just said that campuses are suspending all face-to-face instruction in lectures, discussion sections, seminars and other similar classroom settings. Courses will be delivered by remote instruction through at least April 12, 2020

Comments

• agcagc Senior Barfly
    Effective tomorrow March 11, 2020
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    Residence, dining halls and campus services will remain open.
  • adyonkaadyonka Wealthy Alum
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    Anybody think they'll start cancelling sports events or even seasons anytime soon? 

Obviously b/ball will go on. But what about spring sports and something like spring football? 

New phrase that pays is "social distancing" and football is absolute opposite...very much up close and personal. 

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    I didn’t know the virus was only contagious in classrooms! Who knew?!
    dave67CAredhawk13Iam4hawks
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

I, for one, don't wish to be standing in front of 20 kids from all parts of the country/world who decide to travel who-knows-where over spring break.
    redhawk11skin66Love_and_HonorDICK
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

MUHawk84 said:

It's not, smartass.  But we've got a lot of students (internationals, etc.) with no place else to go.  I'd guess most of our Midwestern-based students will go home.  A few will need to stay.  And keeping the dorms open, even for a handful of folks, helps save a few jobs in Butler County.  
    (See above)
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    My daughter sent several pictures of Oxford. Parties everywhere (kind of defeats the purpose of canceling classes, right?). And to think that alcohol was banned when I was a student ... :(
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>Read on Facebook:

"I heard that people who ate Chuck fries in college are inoculated from the virus. True?"
    Scalper
  • muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

My daughter sent several pictures of Oxford. Parties everywhere (kind of defeats the purpose of canceling classes, right?). (

Weird. It’s almost as if humans will continue socializing and will even gather in group settings regardless of if scheduled events are canceled.

agcmollauttLove_and_Honor
  • ScalperScalper Wealthy Alum
    A lot of inoculation stations to serve green beer.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

MUHawk84 said:

It's not, smartass.  But we've got a lot of students (internationals, etc.) with no place else to go.  I'd guess most of our Midwestern-based students will go home.  A few will need to stay.  And keeping the dorms open, even for a handful of folks, helps save a few jobs in Butler County.  
    Nearly 10% of the Miami student body is from China. Making them go home to a full-fledged disease outbreak is a hell of a lot worse than letting them stay in Ohio.
    Professor_FateDSnyder15DICK
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    edited March 11

DevilGrad said:

MUHawk84 said:

Nearly 10% of the Miami student body is from China. Making them go home to a full-fledged disease outbreak is a hell of a lot worse than letting them stay in Ohio.
    I doubt that anyone is suggesting that.  I believe the tongue in cheek response is questioning how this decision actually makes the students any safer?  Instead of going to classes for the next week and a half it's a week and a half long party leading into spring break.  Students still congregating in large numbers at off campus parties and bars drinking, weakening their immune systems, then spending the days congregating in dorms, the rec center, the library. That party also includes both St Patty's day and Green Beer Day.  Two days the upper administration puts a major emphasis on reducing student participation in and they just declared it open season.  In the next 10 days Miami is more likely to have an alcohol related death than someone contract coronavirus.   

I don't blame Miami though, it's a CYA decision made with little foresight by Dewine.  The students would have been safer letting them finish up the semester and then telling anyone who left for spring break that they cannot return but OSU is already on break and they made the decision now so everyone else has to fall in line behind THE almighty.
    Redskin81agcDSnyder15Mowch
    Really? That's responsible. Very adult like. You still in school masquerading as a responsible adult?  

What the hell. They were only throwing bottles and objects (some of them at police) and jumping on cars. No reason at all to break them up. Guess none of the cars were one of yours. 

And those poor folk that live in the neighborhood and only want a decent nights sleep so they can go to their jobs today rested and ready to do a decent days work. Along with don't want to get a flat tire or two driving down a street full of broken glass. 

Guess they're f'in spoil sports too eh? 

Don't want to start a fight...just want to give a point of view. Might guess you won't like it. 

You know, what the hell. Kids will be kids right? 

redhawk11
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

Really? That's responsible. Very adult like. You still in school masquerading as a responsible adult?  

What the hell. They were only throwing bottles and objects (some of them at police) and jumping on cars. No reason at all to break them up. Guess none of the cars were one of yours. 

And those poor folk that live in the neighborhood and only want a decent nights sleep so they can go to their jobs today rested and ready to do a decent days work. Along with don't want to get a flat tire or two driving down a street full of broken glass. 

Don't want to start a fight...just want to give a point of view. Might guess you won't like it. 

Big mad.
    Quinoaburger
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11
    Davearama said:

That was awesome. I tip my cap.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and text
    Professor_Fate
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    Davearama said:

Anybody think they'll start cancelling sports events or even seasons anytime soon? 

Obviously b/ball will go on. But what about spring sports and something like spring football? 

New phrase that pays is "social distancing" and football is absolute opposite...very much up close and personal. 

I don't think the softball and baseball teams draw large enough crowds and with being outdoor events that it would be necessary, but it's certainly possible. 
    The Ivies have announced they are cancelling all spring sports.  They may also require hockey to shut down prematurely (Cornell is currently #3 in men's PWR and #1 in women's PWR).
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum

The Ivies have announced they are cancelling all spring sports.  They may also require hockey to shut down prematurely (Cornell is currently #3 in men's PWR and #1 in women's PWR).

What about basketball?

redhawk11 said:

What about basketball?

I dunno, I saw the news in a College Hockey News tweet, so basketball probably wasn't their audience.
    Nescacdad

redhawk11 said:

What about basketball?

I dunno, I saw the news in a College Hockey News tweet, so basketball probably wasn't their audience.
    UPDATE: the official Ivy release is out now.  All spring events are canceled.  Individual schools can decide what to do with winter events, including postseason play. https://ivyleague.com/news/2020/3/11/general-ivy-league-to-cancel-all-athletic-events-through-the-remainder-of-the-spring.aspx
    redhawk11
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    We are quickly approaching the line where sound Public Health measures give way to panic for the sake of panic
    MUHawk84 said:

We are quickly approaching the line where sound Public Health measures give way to panic for the sake of panic

=>That ship has sailed.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    DevilGrad said:

Curious about y'all's public health qualifications to make that judgment.  And the University of Right-Wing Facebook Memes doesn't fucking count.  

@mollautt is a the biggest health and safety advocate on this board. He just doesn't do it, after all.
    thechuck_2112Bash_Riprockkillgas20
  • KoheenKoheen Havighurstite

2xHawk said:

DevilGrad said:

MUHawk84 said:

In the next 10 days Miami is more likely to have an alcohol related death than someone contract coronavirus.   

The Shelvin Mack post may have finally been topped. Bravo.
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    MUHawk84 said:

You think (much)? I'm willing to bet that around 10 percent of Hawktalkers will come down with COVID-19, maybe even upwards of 20 percent. Now the vast vast majority of us will be fine and recover. It is even likely that for a minority of us the symptoms won't even be all that serious, but then again it's not about you. It's about the number of elderly people you come into contact with throughout your week. Or worse, the number of people with compromised immune systems and underlying health conditions (that you don't even know about) you may encounter. I have a good friend who is currently undergoing chemo-therapy and I'm gravely concerned for her. Community spread is already occurring in many locations across the country. It's really only a matter of time before it hits your community.
    DICKmollauttgrumpy1agc
    redhawk11 Wealthy Alum--

Thank you...dm