Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Why collegiate senior athletes should seek an extra year of eligibility

Comments

• skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    think about it...there could be all kinds of fallout....immediate transfer etc.
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Too complicated and bad idea. Discriminates against rising students who will not get a chance to play and takes away scholarships unless you expand eligibility to 6 years.

Sometimes we need to learn and live life lesson #1:

“Life isn’t always fair.”
    DICKJHVMUFBAlumBlackbird
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Sounds like the NCAA is leaning toward an extra year for spring athletes.
    redhawk11Professor_FateBash_Riprock
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

That makes more sense, as their entire season was taken away.  If given that opportunity, some would probably take it.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

That makes more sense, as their entire season was taken away.  If given that opportunity, some would probably take it.
    I agree it does make sense on the one hand. It will stink for the incoming freshman though who just lost their high school senior season most likely and now are on a roster with 4 full grades ahead of them. And how do the scholarships get allocated. Unfortunately there are no good answers
    FraggleHawk
  • FraggleHawkFraggleHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    It is an unfortunate situation and there will be ‘losers’ any direction the NCAA takes to make things ‘fair’.

Even if they temporarily expand rosters the incoming freshman will not get the playing time they would have under normal circumstances.

My prediction, and biggest concern, is many coaches will find a way to game the system and cheat. This is why it may the best course of action, at times, is no action. Even with detailed planning anticipating cause and effect there will be far greater unanticipated problems than if they would have made the tough decision.
    Kendall Rogers of D1baseball.com is reporting that he’s heard one power conference is considering barring members from offering any scholarship money to players in their fifth year of eligibility next season.
    muhoopsjunkie
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    You take the unpopular but sensible way out. The NCAA is giving schools the option to extend scholarships to 5th year spring athletes. Don't exercise that option. 
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    Schools can choose to give any fifth year players scholarships equal to up to what they received this year and these don't count towards to overall limit.

This doesn't fix where schools should get that money from though.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Will fifth year players be able to transfer?
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Looking at the issue from a high school senior’s POV, it seems doubly unfair for them to lose a high school season and then get trapped behind 5 years worth of college players, too. I look at it like MLB players during WWII who lost years of their playing careers: sometimes circumstances affect your life that are beyond your control and you just have to make the sacrifice and accept the consequences. Therefore, I think everyone‘s eligibility clocks should just keep on ticking as if all games were being played.
    DICK
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    edited April 10
    I don’t really mind Wisconsin (or any school) telling these athletes they have to move on. What I’m on the lookout for, however, is schools trying to place transfer restrictions on the same athletes they’re forcing out. I fully expect that will happen with some coaches/programs.
    Quinoaburger