Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Not clear if Miami will be back on campus this Fall

Coronavirus: 'Not clear if we will be back on campus this fall,' writes Miami U. dean

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/03/30/coronavirus-miami-prepares-possible-budget-woes-extended-closure/2933473001/
agc
«1

Comments

  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    Wow! Several universities in Florida face hiring freezes, including contract renewals. Is Miami facing the same? If it is, has CM's contract been already signed? I would guess Coach O, and even the whole BB program, can be in huge trouble.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    On a related note, my daughter just said that the president is planning to have commencement ceremonies in September. 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    agc said:

    Wow! Several universities in Florida face hiring freezes, including contract renewals. Is Miami facing the same? If it is, has CM's contract been already signed? I would guess Coach O, and even the whole BB program, can be in huge trouble.

    Coach Owens has 2 more years on his contract.  Why would a hiring freeze concern him?
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    DICK said:

    agc said:

    Wow! Several universities in Florida face hiring freezes, including contract renewals. Is Miami facing the same? If it is, has CM's contract been already signed? I would guess Coach O, and even the whole BB program, can be in huge trouble.

    Coach Owens has 2 more years on his contract.  Why would a hiring freeze concern him?
    If it is not only a hiring freeze, but also contracts not being renewed, then the university might opt for a cheaper option when his contract is over, say, offer Coach O. much less money, or promote an associate or assistant coach. In a worst-case scenario, the university might even temporarily close the BB programs altogether. This might sound extreme, but it is exactly what FGCU is discussing these days. Things look so gloomy here that 4 players have already entered the transfer portal.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    At FGCU?
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    Redsea said:

    At FGCU?

    Yep, the university saved money (more than 100K) in 2018 by promoting an assistant. His contract will expire in 2021, and there are all kinds of discussions and speculations in Fort Myers. From paying Michael Fly much less money, to promoting an assistant again, to even temporarily close the program, which was very good years ago, but it is now much worse than Miami's. Again, highly uncertain future. It all depends on the number of incoming students. Like Miami, FGCU is highly dependent on tuition money. It charges half of what Miami charges. Enrollment has been surprisingly strong in the last few years. 
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Don't see any articles on a Google search that shows where FGCU considering doing anything with their basketball programs.  The four players entered the transfer portal when the season ended two weeks ago.  They lost 22 games this year after losing 18 last year.  Their leaving seems more likely due to the coach and team performance than any virus related speculation.  Their women's team won 30 games and I don't see any transfer announcements there.

    I don't know what input the NCAA would have on any temporary closures.  FGCU is already at the minimum for men's teams so if they don't field a team they would likely need a waiver to remain D1.
    JiveHawkAORedHawk33DICK
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    2xHawk said:

    Don't see any articles on a Google search that shows where FGCU considering doing anything with their basketball programs.  The four players entered the transfer portal when the season ended two weeks ago.  They lost 22 games this year after losing 18 last year.  Their leaving seems more likely due to the coach and team performance than any virus related speculation.  Their women's team won 30 games and I don't see any transfer announcements there.


    I don't know what input the NCAA would have on any temporary closures.  FGCU is already at the minimum for men's teams so if they don't field a team they would likely need a waiver to remain D1.
    Obviously you won't find it on Google. Similarly, you won't find anything about our coaches' future. As I said, these are discussions and speculations. I got this info from both a FGCU faculty and an administrative person in their athletics department. You can however easily find info about budget cuts in the athletics department (estimated cuts for next year range from 5% to 20%)
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    agc said:

    2xHawk said:

    Don't see any articles on a Google search that shows where FGCU considering doing anything with their basketball programs.  The four players entered the transfer portal when the season ended two weeks ago.  They lost 22 games this year after losing 18 last year.  Their leaving seems more likely due to the coach and team performance than any virus related speculation.  Their women's team won 30 games and I don't see any transfer announcements there.


    I don't know what input the NCAA would have on any temporary closures.  FGCU is already at the minimum for men's teams so if they don't field a team they would likely need a waiver to remain D1.
    Obviously you won't find it on Google. Similarly, you won't find anything about our coaches' future. As I said, these are discussions and speculations. I got this info from both a FGCU faculty and an administrative person in their athletics department. You can however easily find info about budget cuts in the athletics department (estimated cuts for next year range from 5% to 20%)
    The fact that it was a second hand repeating of "discussions and speculations" from sources of unknown credibility doesn't make it seem any more plausible than it did before.  Seems they would choose cutting the 5-20% across the board vs dropping any one sport and returning to Division 2.
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    2xHawk said:

    agc said:

    2xHawk said:

    Don't see any articles on a Google search that shows where FGCU considering doing anything with their basketball programs.  The four players entered the transfer portal when the season ended two weeks ago.  They lost 22 games this year after losing 18 last year.  Their leaving seems more likely due to the coach and team performance than any virus related speculation.  Their women's team won 30 games and I don't see any transfer announcements there.


    I don't know what input the NCAA would have on any temporary closures.  FGCU is already at the minimum for men's teams so if they don't field a team they would likely need a waiver to remain D1.
    Obviously you won't find it on Google. Similarly, you won't find anything about our coaches' future. As I said, these are discussions and speculations. I got this info from both a FGCU faculty and an administrative person in their athletics department. You can however easily find info about budget cuts in the athletics department (estimated cuts for next year range from 5% to 20%)
    The fact that it was a second hand repeating of "discussions and speculations" from sources of unknown credibility doesn't make it seem any more plausible than it did before.  Seems they would choose cutting the 5-20% across the board vs dropping any one sport and returning to Division 2.
    Did you actually read my post? Did you read the part I said "... all kinds of discussions and speculations in Fort Myers. From paying Michael Fly much less money, to promoting an assistant again, to even temporarily close the program ..."  Obviously closing a program is a worst-case scenario. I am not trying to convince you of anything. I don't even know who the fuck you are. (what the hell is wrong with some people in this forum...) 
  • agcagc Senior Barfly
    I am not asking for anybody to take my word on anything. From the beginning, I said these are speculations (like tons that have been reported here). And I wrote about FGCU because Miami and other universities can go down a similar path (and they are likely having similar discussions internally). As someone else mentioned in another thread, "one problem that seems to be recurring recently" is a handful of dudes here, who are likely enamored of each other, trying to shut down any other person who voices an opinion or share speculations ...
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    The chancellor of UW-Madison expects a $100 million shortfall at the end of the fiscal year—and that’s assuming things are back to normal when the school’s new fiscal year starts in July. Prolonged closures will be much worse. She also expects that many universities will have to close their doors.

    https://madison.com/news/local/education/university/uw-madison-braces-for-estimated-million-loss-because-of-covid/article_fc8f7e42-cbb3-5d2d-ad16-6e1e5aab8e3a.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    OU could rent its campus out as a facility for wayward drunks. Solich could run the place!! :)
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    You know why they are projecting the decline of 20% in students? Miami has a very large Chinese student body now. Those students may not be allowed to return in the near future.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    2,334. Wow. I had no idea the number was that high.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    2,334 is just the number of Chinese restaurants uptown now.
    DICKCAredhawk13Love_and_Honor
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    agc said:

    You know why they are projecting the decline of 20% in students? Miami has a very large Chinese student body now. Those students may not be allowed to return in the near future.

    They are basing the decline of 20% in student off of student enrollment confirmations being down 20%. That isn't that surprising to me, high school seniors right now have until May 1 to decide. No harm in waiting and seeing what the situation looks like in a month before locking anything in. 

    The dean also mentions in the letter that this deadline might be moved back into the summer. If it looks likely that classes might be online, I would expect a huge drop in enrollments. Much cheaper to take gen ed classes online through a community college if you aren't going to be on campus anyway. Hopefully this doesn't happen.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    My daughter is a freshman right now at Miami. I would say she loved it until March. What she is doing now is not Miami. If we dont open back up in the fall -ugh. Maybe she should take a gap year
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    I’d venture to say that every college freshman around the country feels the same way.

    Not a bad idea to do a gap year
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Ohio State will go online-only for summer session.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

    Ohio State will go online-only for summer session.

    University of Dayton and Sinclair Community College are both online only this summer, too
  • 2xHawk2xHawk Senior Barfly
    Only about 17% of Miami's summer course list is on-campus so I would expect the same.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

    I’d venture to say that every college freshman around the country feels the same way.

    Not a bad idea to do a gap year

    Its a great idea except how does Miami survive that? Do all the staff get let go? What about our coaches? So then is there a college to come back to? It is a nightmare.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    How does anyone survive that?

    Higher education is about to change drastically. Miami will be in better position than most because it’s a state school and it has a stellar reputation.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    edited April 1
    Redsea said:

    I’d venture to say that every college freshman around the country feels the same way.

    Not a bad idea to do a gap year

    Its a great idea except how does Miami survive that? Do all the staff get let go? What about our coaches? So then is there a college to come back to? It is a nightmare.
    As athletics budgeting goes, I'd much rather be Miami than a P5 school with multiple 7-figure obligations, empty arenas and stadiums and, if the other networks follow DAZN's lead, no rights fee checks to cash.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

    Ohio State will go online-only for summer session.

    University of Dayton and Sinclair Community College are both online only this summer, too
    Cincinnati State as well.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

    Redsea said:

    I’d venture to say that every college freshman around the country feels the same way.

    Not a bad idea to do a gap year

    Its a great idea except how does Miami survive that? Do all the staff get let go? What about our coaches? So then is there a college to come back to? It is a nightmare.
    As athletics budgeting goes, I'd much rather be Miami than a P5 school with multiple 7-figure obligations, empty arenas and stadiums and, if the other networks follow DAZN's lead, no rights fee checks to cash.
    Not playing any games may be to our financial benefit!

    moose
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Big issue would be if they grant all seniors a 5th year.  How do we afford the scholarships?
  • SharkShark Summer Orientee
    Mother Miami could redeem our "Loyalty Points'.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Alumni Weekend is cancelled for what it's worth.
Sign In or Register to comment.