Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Comments

• yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

Part 1:

Two-time bestselling author and brand consultant Jeremy Darlow has a plan, and that’s for every Miami University student-athlete to land a dream job.

But first, each RedHawk needs to cultivate a personal brand.

That’s the idea behind Miami’s new partnership with Darlow, who will provide all 500 RedHawks athletes with brand-building curriculum designed to parlay their educational aspirations and athletic achievements into opportunities beyond sports. Miami is the first school nationally to offer Darlow’s program to all its student-athletes and is also the first Group of Five program within the American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences with which he has partnered.

West Virginia University on Thursday announced a Darlow partnership for football and more programs’ participation will be announced in the coming weeks.

Miami’s administration was looking for more development programming when the coronavirus hit and Darlow’s concepts and online access fit well with athletes stuck in quarantine. The new online program, which started Thursday, features short video segments – think four minutes per lesson – about brand philosophies and building personal marketing plans. Student-athletes then can complete assignments in Darlow’s new book, “The Darlow Rules.”

Darlow, a former Adidas director of marketing who authored “Brands Win Championships” and “Athletes are Brands Too,” isn’t trying to create Instagram influencers or inflate someone’s number of followers. His intention is to help student-athletes maximize the value of their reputation and create plans for the future.

“What I’m seeing right now is a disconnect between the athlete’s ability to build their personal brand and what the schools are offering. In most cases, schools are not offering these young men and women a path to learn how to build a brand. They’re not encouraging it in a lot of cases. I think that’s the biggest miss,” Darlow said recently from Oregon.

Athletic departments across the country have broached social media practices with their college students for years due to the visibility of those platforms. University of Cincinnati and Xavier University sports information directors address media training and social media, and, depending on the program, bring in guest speakers.

Xavier’s men’s basketball program in 2015 began its Fortune 15 Series (a nod to Fortune 500 companies, repackaged for a 15-man basketball roster), which was designed to build and protect an athlete’s personal brand. The program is a combination of character development, media training, classroom etiquette, social media instruction, career development, alumni engagement, community service and fan interaction.

Darlow’s weekly lessons help Miami’s participants devise a positioning statement, or a sentence that defines what makes them different from their competition. Developing that niche is a key to growth over time and the climb to a career destination.

“The biggest thing that I see is every single kid that hits me up on Twitter or social media asks me, ‘How do I build a brand?’ when really they want to know ‘How do I get a bunch of followers?’ and ‘How do I get a couple of my Tweets to go viral?’ That’s not how you build a brand. You build a brand over time. Brands are not built in a day. Brands are built over years and decades,” Darlow said. “And building a brand over years and decades takes a plan, and that’s what I want to teach these kids. I want to give them the tools where they can graduate from college and have a road map that they can follow to set them up to succeed in life after sports. “

The programming was unveiled the same week the NCAA moved toward allowing student-athletes to profit for their name, image and likeness via third-party endorsements. Darlow’s function is about positioning college athletes for careers, not helping them manage money after securing an endorsement deal.

Part 2:

“That is such a small fraction of the college athletics population that to me it would be a disservice to just focus on the 2 percent that will be in demand for an endorsement deal,” Darlow said. “I’m much more excited to help the 98 percent that are not going to go on to play in the NFL or the NBA or the WNBA. I want to help the kid that’s on the end of the bench, putting on that NCAA uniform every single day and can very well use that celebrity status and translate it into a great job and a great career. That’s my focus.”

Darlow’s curriculum is extensive enough to fill two academic years but will be conducted individually at a person’s desired pace. Although participants do not receive college credit, they can earn a certificate of completion to add to their resumes.

Breanna Robinson, Miami’s assistant athletic director for leadership and diversity, hopes the program helps student-athletes hone their purpose and goals. Through Miami’s Graduating Champions mission to produce well-rounded and equipped students, she believes Darlow’s program is another way to prepare students for the future.

“Regardless of whether a student-athlete wants to play a professional sport or work in their field of study as an undergrad, they still need to be able to understand what skill sets they possess that make them special,” Robinson said. “This speaks to that. It’s an opportunity for students to understand how their skills and value are unique to them to be able to market themselves.”

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    How much is Miami paying this guy for marketing advice not available to the general student body? And what is that amount equivalent to in terms of laid-off staff or non-renewed adjuncts?
  • 96Skins96Skins Dodds God

How much is Miami paying this guy for marketing advice not available to the general student body? And what is that amount equivalent to in terms of laid-off staff or non-renewed adjuncts?

Do you feel this is potentially a poor use of resources?
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    96Skins said:

Yes. And ranting on Twitter is apparently better than just sending Sayler an email asking. Very good look for the athletic department having fans replying on Twitter implying it's a waste.

On a serious note, Darlow's reputation in college athletics is not just a big boost to help athletes are school, but also to the brand image of Miami. There are very few ADs that don't have a copy of Brands Win Championships. Several bought copies for their whole staff when it came out.
    JiveHawk said:

96Skins said:

Yes. And ranting on Twitter is apparently better than just sending Sayler an email asking. Very good look for the athletic department having fans replying on Twitter implying it's a waste.

On a serious note, Darlow's reputation in college athletics is not just a big boost to help athletes are school, but also to the brand image of Miami. There are very few ADs that don't have a copy of Brands Win Championships. Several bought copies for their whole staff when it came out.
    I absolutely 100% believe it's a waste, and I have no problem saying that in public. Which is why I did so.

Might this hurt Miami in recruiting by making the athletic department look bad? Perhaps, but then I think recruiting is far less important than staff members being able to feed their families.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    This is a selling point for athletics, don't think it's a waste.
    JiveHawkScalper
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited May 13

JiveHawk said:

96Skins said:

I absolutely 100% believe it's a waste, and I have no problem saying that in public. Which is why I did so.

Might this hurt Miami in recruiting by making the athletic department look bad? Perhaps, but then I think recruiting is far less important than staff members being able to feed their families.
    Foolish to put it on twitter.  That only hurts Miami.

You realize that this Darlow guy isn't on salary right?  He is not being paid by Miami in any way.

*according to Chris Vianni of The Athletic

JiveHawk said:

96Skins said:

You realize that this Darlow guy isn't on salary right?  He is not being paid by Miami in any way.

No, he didn't. We're busy complaining about what kinds of students may or may not be accepted, but I'm more concerned about alumni who decide burning bridges halfcocked is the right modus operandi. See, we could've asked Sayler for input and not throw the athletic department under the bus, just in case there was a legitimate reason. Like say, this contract was agreed to prior to covid and backing out would lead to a lawsuit that would be more expensive than the contract anyway. Or say, if he wasn't on salary. So if we find out it isn't legitimate, then we can run to twitter. But no, we're going to jump off the handle and embarrass ourselves on a story that should be a massive win for the department. Because, ya know, he isn't even on salary.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    edited May 13
    Cmon DG- Because it’s must easier to complain about it on Twitter without any real information!

Here is the source from CFB writer from The Athletic:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1255581024542695424

EDIT- DG just deleted his comment

JiveHawk said:

96Skins said:

If Darlow is doing this for the exposure and Miami isn't paying him, then I have no problem with this at all, and I retract my criticism. I'll take down my tweets and take my lashings.

But I wholeheartedly reject the notion that this is something to be handled through private communication with the athletic department instead of in public discussion.  Miami, and public education in Ohio generally, is going through a funding crisis right now, and Miami's institutional spending is properly a matter of intense public interest.

Anyways, deleting my tweets now.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Doesn't this go hand in glove with the new rule allowing student athletes to gain financially from their image. I.E. here at Miami University this is what is available to enhance your image, vis-a-vis your pocket book.
    Scalper
    Can we stop telling people what they should tweet or shouldn't tweet (or post/not post) based on how it may help or hurt recruiting? 

We are fans, not employees of the university. So long as no one is being malicious, expressing opinions is at the very root of fandom. Stifling that seems... silly.
    thechuck_2112DICKredhawk11
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Can we stop telling people what they should tweet or shouldn't tweet (or post/not post) based on how it may help or hurt recruiting? 

We are fans, not employees of the university. So long as no one is being malicious, expressing opinions is at the very root of fandom. Stifling that seems... silly.
    I'm not allowed to tweet at our head coach. And neither are you.
    dave67yanksalexgrumpy1Quinoaburger
    yanksalex said:

I think we can all agree social media has changed communication. When you start replying to administrators, you become part of a collective voice. Here's where that's scary: Alex becomes a representative of Miami fans. Are we going to stand for that?
    DICKdave67
    JiveHawk said:

yanksalex said:

I think we can all agree social media has changed communication. When you start replying to administrators, you become part of a collective voice. Here's where that's scary: Alex becomes a representative of Miami fans. Are we going to stand for that?
    If you want any more of my meat, you will.
    dave67Spanks004thechuck_2112JiveHawk
    dave67 said:

Doesn't this go hand in glove with the new rule allowing student athletes to gain financially from their image. I.E. here at Miami University this is what is available to enhance your image, vis-a-vis your pocket book.

It does. That was part of the reasoning behind it. If Miami can give you the ability to profit beyond another school, it definitely helps recruiting.
    dave67
    yanksalex said:

JiveHawk said:

yanksalex said:

Funny enough, the topic has come up multiple times in conversation during quarantine.
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    Don't let your meatloaf!
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    D_Day said:

Don't let your meatloaf!

I'm expecting a video of " ABC... " by Meatloaf... :D
  • 96Skins96Skins Dodds God
    I realize this is an athletic forum where these types of items are discussed and critiqued, but let’s put this small item into context... we don’t know much about the cost/benefit of this program other than the basic press release. The athletic dept just like the other colleges, divisions, programs, etc. has a budget that is approved by the Univ CFO. They each must live within those parameters and when asked to contribute back /cut in the event of a shortfall, they do. The AD makes judgement calls on the expenses - line by line for some AD’s. Maybe it’s a little short sighted to critique expenses we know nothing about - cost/benefit.
    JCook32JiveHawk
    JiveHawk said:

yanksalex said:

JiveHawk said:

yanksalex said:

Funny enough, the topic has come up multiple times in conversation during quarantine.
    Jive's gf loves my meat.
    thechuck_2112