Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The Class of 1990 graduated 30 years ago today

JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
Which would have included JohnnyMac, of course.

I probably don't have a ton in common with the Class of 2020, but I don't feel like some completely out-of-touch old-timer at 51.

But looking back to how I would have felt on May 13, 1990, I would have considered a guy from the Class of 1960 to be a relic from Dark Ages.

One thing I have discovered in life is that you don't fully appreciate all of the aspects of the passage of time until you experience the passage of time.  
MowchFormerTowniekillgas20dave67DICKRe6H5wkBlackbird

Comments

• skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

I probably don't have a ton in common with the Class of 2020, but I don't feel like some completely out-of-touch old-timer at 51.

But looking back to how I would have felt on May 13, 1990, I would have considered a guy from the Class of 1960 to be a relic from Dark Ages.

One thing I have discovered in life is that you don't fully appreciate all of the aspects of the passage of time until you experience the passage of time.  

Happy anniversary from a relic.
    skinsdave67JohnnyMac
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Ditto
    JohnnyMac
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Wealthy Alum
    I'm an old timer class of 88

• I ate at Muthers and the original Brunos
    • I remember there being an actual bookstore and two gas stations uptown
    • I wrote papers on the fire escape of Van Voorhis
    • Swarn right, Swarn left, Swarn up the middle
    • I drank at Bashes
    • The best place to hear a band was at The Balcony
    • The Miami Western had great midnight movies
    • There was a bowling alley in the Res
    killgas20MowchDevilGradJohnnyMacEDDIEScalper
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    I snuck into Fischer Hall. That's old.
    Iam4hawks
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    I witnessed "The Flush-in" a year after we still were having panty raids!
    I was in the first class to live in Hepburn.
    Scalperaba222
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    skin66 said:

I was in the first class to live in Hepburn.

I was in 227 Hepburn 88-89.

• grumpy1grumpy1 Wealthy Alum
    As a waiter in Harris Dining Hall I served President Shriver dinner in his, and my first year at Miami.
    DICKScalper
  • skipatrollerskipatroller Senior Barfly
    Quarter beer night at the Saloon
    MowchScalper
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Yep..makes me feel old. Class of 78.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

I'm an old timer class of 88

• I ate at Muthers and the original Brunos
    • I remember there being an actual bookstore and two gas stations uptown
    • I wrote papers on the fire escape of Van Voorhis
    • Swarn right, Swarn left, Swarn up the middle
    • I drank at Bashes
    • The best place to hear a band was at The Balcony
    • The Miami Western had great midnight movies
    • There was a bowling alley in the Res
    In 2003 there were still two gas stations and a bookstore uptown...  the rest of that stuff... OLD MAN!  ;)
    grumpy1 said:

As a waiter in Harris Dining Hall I served President Shriver dinner in his, and my first year at Miami.

You reminded me...freshman year, I was a dishwasher in McCracken and on Saturday morning we got to view all the "morning after" coeds in various states of (un)dress.  As part of the athletic scholarship plan, I was joined by jocks "earning" their way through school.  They were cool about having to work.
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    dave67 said:

grumpy1 said:

You reminded me...freshman year, I was a dishwasher in McCracken and on Saturday morning we got to view all the "morning after" coeds in various states of (un)dress.  As part of the athletic scholarship plan, I was joined by jocks "earning" their way through school.  They were cool about having to work.
    Hah. That reminds me of the summer (2002, I think) where I got to make smoothies and french fries for various kid camps with Phil Smith and Mike Larkin.  Lark really hoped Big Ben would pull him into the league. 
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    elpalito said:

dave67 said:

grumpy1 said:

Hah. That reminds me of the summer (2002, I think) where I got to make smoothies and french fries for various kid camps with Phil Smith and Mike Larkin.  Lark really hoped Big Ben would pull him into the league. 
    If Ben could have given Lark 4 inches in height, he would have made it.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Senior Barfly
    Class of ‘79.  Streaking!  And no, I wasn't one of them.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Oh yes I almost forgot the streaking...right behind Morris and Tappan Halls it was pretty routine to see especially when rainy and muddy.
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    Everybody Wang Chung tonight.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    PF Changs is closer. Garlic Chicken.
    Is Chung past tense of Chang?
    Chung is a verb, Chang a noun.
    dave67
    dave67 said:

grumpy1 said:

My room mates at Hepburn our junior year worked at Harris. Before that at McC. They didn’t like the breakfast shift. Our hall at Hepburn was composed almost entirely of scholarship athletes. Very interesting times.
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    JohnnyMac said:

I too was Class of 1990.  Lived in Hepburn sophomore year, and my daughter lived in Hepburn as a freshman last year.
    DICK
  • WellsGoddess944302WellsGoddess944302 Wealthy Alum
    I graduated from high school in the class of 1990, so started to Miami in the fall. Sadly, those of you in the Miami class of 1990 just missed the Miami Metro and the Sherlock circulation system/ card catalog in the library. The RAs is in my residence hall of Symmes made sure we new how lucky we are that we didn't have to walk out to Kroger or Kmart. I learned that the hard way a couple of years later, when I had to take some summer school courses (only offered in the summer) and lived in Flower. The metro didn't run in the summer, so I got to make that long walk to and from Kroger.