Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2020 PG Bryson Tatum (MIAMI COMMIT)

Bryson Tatum is a 6-4 PG from Urbana, ILL (Urbana HS)

PLAYER PROFILES:

Verbal Commits PROFILE.

OFFERS:

MIAMI, Minnesota-Duluth

Comments

• NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited June 4
    VIDEO announcement of his commitment.
    More VIDEO HERE.

"Urbana's Tatum Commits..." HERE.

"Tatum picked the RedHawks over an offer from Minnesota-Makato. Miami
    (OH) finished with a 13-19 record last season playing in the MAC."
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    gonna dominate the Northern Sun
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    One other offer...sweet
  • Redhawk90Redhawk90 Summer Orientee
    Are we certain he is not a walk on ? 
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    This better belong in the hockey thread because that is the only damn time we should be recruiting against Minnesota Fucking Mankato!!
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited June 4
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Huge pickup! Welcome aboard, Bryson.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Are we sure this is true. Jack hasnt tweeted “Great day to be a Redhawk” which he generally does
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

VIDEO announcement of his commitment.
    More VIDEO HERE.

"Urbana's Tatum Commits..." HERE.

"Tatum picked the RedHawks over an offer from Minnesota-Makato. Miami
    (OH) finished with a 13-19 record last season playing in the MAC."
    So is it Makato or Duluth....typical Miami (OH) related release, can't get it right!

Jack is on fire...the trail is hot  :D
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Good thing the recruiting forums are available to the public!
    My issue isn't with Bryson Tatum. He may turn out to be a fine player. My issue is why are we recruiting players who only have a solitary offer from a D-2 school not even in his own state? Urbana, Illinois isn't in the hinterland. So I don't buy any "under the radar" arguments. Within 3 hours driving distance are SIU, EIU, WIU, NIU, Bradley-and none apparently thought enough of his game to offer a scholarship. I'm sorry, this isn't good recruiting. Personally, I would have rather banked this scholarship for the 2021 class, which in Ohio is loaded, than spend it on a player only recruited by 1 D-2 school. 
    Mowch
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited June 5
    "MIAMI, Columbus State, Troy, Catawba...

I'm seeing a trend here."

Can't say I'm surprised...but this is a bit more of a drop off than I ever imagined.
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

My issue isn't with Bryson Tatum. He may turn out to be a fine player. My issue is why are we recruiting players who only have a solitary offer from a D-2 school not even in his own state? Urbana, Illinois isn't in the hinterland. So I don't buy any "under the radar" arguments. Within 3 hours driving distance are SIU, EIU, WIU, NIU, Bradley-and none apparently thought enough of his game to offer a scholarship. I'm sorry, this isn't good recruiting. Personally, I would have rather banked this scholarship for the 2021 class, which in Ohio is loaded, than spend it on a player only recruited by 1 D-2 school. 

At some point our terrible facilities, abysmal support from administrators, fans and students was bound to start showing....
    AORedHawk33
  • aba222aba222 Off-Campus Slummer
    Ya kind of tough to get excited about this one. Kind of the same feeling when we signed McNamara.

I have accepted that fact that Miami has trouble recruiting 1st team all-state basketball players (especially out of state...though we used to) given our recent history. But Tatum didn’t make the SM list (top 50 in the state outside of the 30 from 1st and 2nd teams). He made the HM list, which is the 100 remaining players outside the top (made up largely Sophs and Jrs). I think Owens is recruiting himself out of a job. And I dont’t think he’s good at finding guys under the radar.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/88th-news-gazette-all-state-high-school-boys-basketball-team/article_2cb62129-53f3-5225-972c-ea8436c5a885.html
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    He’s gotta be a PWO right?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    aba222 said:

Ya kind of tough to get excited about this one. Kind of the same feeling when we signed McNamara.

I have accepted that fact that Miami has trouble recruiting 1st team all-state basketball players (especially out of state...though we used to) given our recent history. But Tatum didn’t make the SM list (top 50 in the state outside of the 30 from 1st and 2nd teams). He made the HM list, which is the 100 remaining players outside the top (made up largely Sophs and Jrs). I think Owens is recruiting himself out of a job. And I dont’t think he’s good at finding guys under the radar.

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/prep-sports/boys-basketball/88th-news-gazette-all-state-high-school-boys-basketball-team/article_2cb62129-53f3-5225-972c-ea8436c5a885.html

OUCH !!!!!!!!!
    digitalhawk
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    MUHawk84 said:

Bluesman said:

At some point our terrible facilities, abysmal support from administrators, fans and students was bound to start showing....
    This is exactly right. Our view here is colored by memories of past successes, but that outdates a whole lot of alums. It’s just not an attractive program to attract enough of the players we need. And the one consistent draw- it’s still Miami University- may be losing luster. I will assume the staff sees something other staffs didn’t see and hope Tatum (I’m going to call him “Jayson”) has a great career in Millett!
    AORedHawk33
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

He’s gotta be a PWO right?

Gotta be. No reason to rake JO over the coals because a walk-on decided to make a big song and dance of his commitment. 
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Looked up his HS stats..unless something was missing looked like he averaged about 10 points a game the year he started on varsity.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    The tv interview said he averaged 18pts and 6 rebounds.
    Thx...must’ve been an old stat sheet missing his senior year.
  • CalOhHawkCalOhHawk Dodds God
    Can someone confirm  that  Tatum is a PWO and the  Sellers offer is at best a partial- if not  we are recruiting ourselves into  a  long future of bottom third if not bottom period of the MAC
  • D_DayD_Day Wealthy Alum
    There are no partial scholarships in football and basketball per NCAA.
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Senior Barfly
    D_Day said:

There are no partial scholarships in football and basketball per NCAA.

Not overly relevant but only at the D1 and FBS levels respectively. At all other levels there are partials.
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    I don’t see anybody really bad mouthing the young man and we really should not. If someone would have been crazy enough to offer me a PWO or a scholarship in basketball I would have taken it and celebrated like mad. I was not Miami good at basketball. Welcome aboard kid. I hope you develop and prove other schools wrong.
    thechuck_2112AORedHawk33DICKredhawk11FraggleHawkQuinoaburger
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    He has a great name. Give me a lesser player with a great name than a better player named John Smith. I've been drinking.
    redhawk11Re6H5wk
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    CalOhHawk said:

Can someone confirm  that  Tatum is a PWO and the  Sellers offer is at best a partial- if not  we are recruiting ourselves into  a  long future of bottom third if not bottom period of the MAC

Sellers is a 2021 kid while Tatum is a 2020 kid. 

It appears Tatum is NOT a walk on but I’m surprised (.... we’ll maybe not) that there’s been no official announcement 

Sellers will certainly have more offers. 

Of note—-COVID has shut down AAU where these guys (2021) typically get more offers. Recruiting this season has changed and you can throw out most of the experts opinions on mid major level players as those “experts” aren’t watching current film, workouts, etc
    JiveHawkFraggleHawk
    edited June 6
    MUHawk84 said:

Bluesman said:

Gee, I have no idea who has been bitching for years now about our abysmal facilities, terrible support from the administration, etc...I wonder who that could be?   B)
    Sure glad to see Tatum averaged 18ppg his senior year..I averaged 11 PPG in mine in Ohio and I can assure you I did not receive ANY D1 college hoops interest...in fact, not a heckuva lot of D3 interest to be honest.

honest.
    In an effort for full disclosure I probably should admit that I was only 6-1, and pretty lousy on defense...in my defense, was second in the city in Cincinnati in free throw shooting. For some reason that I cannot explain, I shot better when unguarded.
    thechuck_2112