Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2020 Cleveland Indians

Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
Do we not have a thread for this season yet?

Anyway, last night the Tribe once again retained the Ohio Cup, and tonight they took it and beat the Reds over the head with it just for the hell of it. IF they can get the offense going, this could be a dangerous team.
DSnyder15

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Quality start in every game but one this year, but the bottom of the order has been pathetic.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Quality start in every game but one this year, but the bottom of the order has been pathetic.

"Pathetic" is too kind.
    DICK
    Crappy opposition, but a 6-game win streak is a 6-game win streak. Half game out of 1st, tied with NYY for the 4th best record in the AL. The Tribe will try to build on their 20-game win streak against Detroit tonight.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    As their socials said, “No one beats the Tigers 21 times in a row!”
    JohnnyMac said:

As their socials said, “No one beats the Tigers 21 times in a row!”

Lol I saw that one. ^.^
    Nice debut for McKenzie: 6 innings, just 1 run on 2 hits. Struck out 10 as the Indians started a new streak against the Tigers.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    7 losses in a row.  Indians now are in the second and last Wild Card spot.  Indians are +4, teams chasing them are below .500.  Toronto is +5 for the 1st Wild Card.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Jose Ramirez with a big game last night as the long losing streak was finally snapped.  TGFTT ( Thank God For The Tigers).  Ramirez is one of two players this year who is in double digits in both home runs and SB's ( fantasy baseball guys would know this, the other guy is Trevor Story).  Ramirez effects games in so many ways with his great fielding range and strong arm, plus his power and maybe his best asset is his base running.  Last night I heard a stat which I had not heard before, which is another way he changes games.  He has seen more pitches than any other player in the AL.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    As of this morning, The 8 playoff teams in the AL are basically settled, although the seeds are very much up in the air.  Top 2 teams in each division are automatics, plus 2 wildcards.

East  Rays  +16   Yankees  +9   Blue Jays  +1

Central  White Sox  +15    Twins  +9    Indians  +5

West  A's  +13    Astros  -1

Everybody else is at least -7.  Right now the Indians are two games ahead of Toronto for the fist Wild Card spot.  They are two games behind Minnesota for the second place spot in the Central.
    It is very tight for the overall #1 seed between Rays, White Sox and A's.
    I feel like seeding matters very little this season due to the neutral site venues.
    DSnyder15
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I feel like seeding matters very little this season due to the neutral site venues.

It may matter to the Indians though as the 3 game first round series will play all 3 games on the field of the home team.  On the other hand, the Indians have been better on the road.  As of today, Indians would be the #7 seed and play at the White Sox.
    DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

It may matter to the Indians though as the 3 game first round series will play all 3 games on the field of the home team.  On the other hand, the Indians have been better on the road.  As of today, Indians would be the #7 seed and play at the White Sox.
    Other than last AB, what difference does the park make with no fans?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

Factors usually given are familiarity with the playing field ( unlike most sports, baseball fields are not all the same, and some teams are tailored to their home field) and being able to go home and sleep in your own bed, eat your normal meals, and not live  out of a suitcase in a hotel
  • The_RockThe_Rock Havighurstite
    DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

Factors usually given are familiarity with the playing field ( unlike most sports, baseball fields are not all the same, and some teams are tailored to their home field) and being able to go home and sleep in your own bed, eat your normal meals, and not live  out of a suitcase in a hotel
    Serious question as I'm haven't been following this aspect.  I heard they were going to do a bubble for the playoffs after the first round, but I thought I had also heard that teams would be quarantined upon the start of the playoffs.  Are they allowed to stay at home, or will they be given a central site and all expected to stay there?

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

Those are all valid points, but for a 3-game series, I'm not sure that sleeping in your own bed would be that much of a game-changer.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The_Rock said:

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

DICK said:

Re6H5wk said:

Serious question as I'm haven't been following this aspect.  I heard they were going to do a bubble for the playoffs after the first round, but I thought I had also heard that teams would be quarantined upon the start of the playoffs.  Are they allowed to stay at home, or will they be given a central site and all expected to stay there?

I thought the bubble aspects would start with round 2, while the first round would be played the same as the rest of the season, but they have kind of been making it up as they go, so maybe they changed something that I missed.
    Redskin89
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Jose Ramirez with a big game last night as the long losing streak was finally snapped.  TGFTT ( Thank God For The Tigers).  Ramirez is one of two players this year who is in double digits in both home runs and SB's ( fantasy baseball guys would know this, the other guy is Trevor Story).  Ramirez effects games in so many ways with his great fielding range and strong arm, plus his power and maybe his best asset is his base running.  Last night I heard a stat which I had not heard before, which is another way he changes games.  He has seen more pitches than any other player in the AL.

Jose is hot!
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Jose hits a 3 run homer with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the bottom of the 10th , down 1.   Indians clinch a playoff spot.  Since losing 8 in a row, Indians are 5-1 and Jose has hit 6 homers and 3 doubles in those 6 games.  He scored 8 and drove in 16.  Nobody else is doing much on offense, He has just turned the offense around pretty much by himself.
    Re6H5wk
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

Jose hits a 3 run homer with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the bottom of the 10th , down 1.   Indians clinch a playoff spot.  Since losing 8 in a row, Indians are 5-1 and Jose has hit 6 homers and 3 doubles in those 6 games.  He scored 8 and drove in 16.  Nobody else is doing much on offense, He has just turned the offense around pretty much by himself.

That play never happens without the brilliant front office.
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
     If the Indians beat the White Sox tonight, the Tribe will be one game behind the White Sox with 3 games left, and the Indians already have the tiebreaker.  The Indians play the Pirates at home 3 times while the White Sox play the Cubs at home 3 times this weekend, 

The White Sox have stumbled badly on this Ohio trip, going 1-5 so far against the Reds and Indians.  They have now fallen half a game behind the Twins.  If the Indians win tonight, they would move within two games of the Twins with 3 games left, but the Twins have the tiebreaker. The only way for the Indians to win the division is to sweep the last 4 games and have the Reds sweep the Twins in Minneapolis.
    edited September 25
    Sweep complete. Tribe winners of 6
    7 of 8 following that 8-game losing streak. As Dick noted, winning the division is highly unlikely, but finishing 2nd and getting the 4 seed is very attainable.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited September 25
    Third time in the 4 game sweep the Indians came from behind late. and Jose had the big hit again, a 2-run double high off the LF wall driving in the tying and winning runs in the 7th. Now one game behind the White Sox with 3 to play, and the Indians own the tiebreaker.
    Re6H5wk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    4th time in 5 games the Indians come from behind late.  This time the Tribe had one bunt single in 8 innings, but got 3 hits and 3 runs in the bottom of the 9th.  Luplow, having a horrendous season, had his first big hit of the year 2 nights ago with a walk off 9th inning homer vs the White Sox.  Tonight he hit one off the fence for a double in the 9th which cut the lead to one, Delino Deshields tied it with a single, took second on a very short passed ball, and Cesar Hernandez had the walkoff hit with 2 outs.

Almost miraculously, the Indians have gained 6 games in 6 days vs the then First place White Sox and with two games to go, the Twins are one game ahead of both the Indians and W Sox.  Indians have the tiebreaker with Chicago but not the Twins.  If the season ended today, the Indians would have moved from the #7 seed to # 4 and would host the Yankees.
    You should want the Yankees. They're terrible.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited September 26

Hey, the memory of an Indians 8 game losing streak is still fresh in my mind, it just ended last week.

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    That was my reply, somehow it says Sackman said.
    The_Sackman
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The only way that the Indians could win the Central is if the Twins lose the next two and the Indians win the next two, as the Twins would have the tiebreaker

Yeah, but Gomes and Tomlin are long gone.
    Re6H5wk said:

Yeah, but Gomes and Tomlin are long gone.
    Might as well save everyone some time and just start game 1 in the tenth inning with a 0-0 tie and each starting pitcher with dueling 27 K perfect games.
    Re6H5wk
    At least they can't blow a 2-0 series lead this time.