Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The 2020 NBA PLAYOFFS

The Raptors beat the Nets 134-105 today. But the stat that jumps out is Toronto went 32/33 from the free throw line today. 97%.

Comments

• QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Kristaps Porzingis just fell victim to maybe the worst ejection in NBA playoff history.
    AORedHawk33
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    (confidently steps up to the MHT test mic)

Giannis is a loser.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Not even watching this year. Most of the reason is because of the putrid invisible Sixers and their ever-shuffling lineup.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

Not even watching this year. Most of the reason is because of the putrid invisible Sixers and their ever-shuffling lineup.

Crazy that they intentionally sabotaged their team to go through one of the worst 4 year stretches in sports history, just to build a roster that can't win the division or advance past the conference semis.
    AORedHawk33
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum

EDDIE said:

Crazy that they intentionally sabotaged their team to go through one of the worst 4 year stretches in sports history, just to build a roster that can't win the division or advance past the conference semis.
    When you look at who they drafted in those ‘tanking’ years, it’s shockingly bad.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    6/19/17: 3rd Overall Pick in 2017 and 2019 1st Round Pick for 1st Overall Pick in 2017.

I still can't forget that one.
  • Billy Donovan out as OKC Thunder head coach
  • Miami Heat move to the Eastern Conference finals after eliminating the Bucks, 4-1.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

Billy Donovan out as OKC Thunder head coach

He was apparently seen in Indy area with his wife and a realtor.
  • bpat said:

Pacers job?  I don't know any college basketball jobs around the Indianapolis area that's open.  Unless something has happened at Butler.
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum

bpat said:

Pacers job?  I don't know any college basketball jobs around the Indianapolis area that's open.  Unless something has happened at Butler.
    That was the allusion I believe. Don't know whether the rumor was founded/unfounded.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Jamal Murray & Nikola Jokic > Kawhi Leonard & Paul George
  • DICK said:

I'm still stunned by the score.  I've tried watching the playoffs, but it looks like MAC Championship Tournament basketball back at the Seagate Center in Toledo, or where ever they played in downtown Columbus.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

DICK said:

I'm still stunned by the score.  I've tried watching the playoffs, but it looks like MAC Championship Tournament basketball back at the Seagate Center in Toledo, or where ever they played in downtown Columbus.
    They actually have improved the atmosphere at the games a great deal since the first weeks of regular season games.

I have had time to watch quite a bit and I am very impressed with the level of play of some of the teams. There are teams who have really dedicated themselves and with no distractions are executing at very high levels.  Other teams not so much.  New stars have emerged as the top players in the league, including Murray and Jokic but also Luka Doncic and Damian Lillard and Jimmy Butler.  The Celtics have a trio of stars just below that level.  Plus I have a few other favorites like Tyler Hero and Rondo and Bam Adebayo. 

Of course, LeBron James is IMO the greatest player ever, he now has more playoff wins and more playoff series wins than anybody else and that record is going to just keep growing.  This is year 17 and he has basically been the best for 16 years now.  One thing he has done that nobody else has ever done is go to a new city and take a lousy team and turn it into a championship team.  This will probably be the third time he has done it.

He also keeps reinventing himself.  This year he became the point guard and led the NBA in assists.  When he entered the league it was a big man league and LeBron developed a post up game and then Curry changed the game completely but LeBron adjusted and became a great 3 point shooter.  Whatever it takes to win, he pays the price and gets it done.
    redhawk11Quinoaburger
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    In their first two series, the Lakers got drilled in game 1, then came back strong with 4 straight mostly easy wins.  We will see tonight if that pattern continues.  It seems to me that the Lakers will be much better at slowing down Nikola Jokic than previous teams because they have 3 guys 
    ( Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis, and  Javale McGhee) who can challenge Jokic and perhaps wear him down)  All along I have felt that this is going to be a Lakers-Heat final.  The Heat have been the best team since the teams hit The Bubble, but the Lakers have really got it going since losing their first playoff game.  Rondo returning has helped the rotation.
    DICK said:

In their first two series, the Lakers got drilled in game 1, then came back strong with 4 straight mostly easy wins.  We will see tonight if that pattern continues.  It seems to me that the Lakers will be much better at slowing down Nikola Jokic than previous teams because they have 3 guys 

( Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis, and  Javale McGhee) who can challenge Jokic and perhaps wear him down)  All along I have felt that this is going to be a Lakers-Heat final.  The Heat have been the best team since the teams hit The Bubble, but the Lakers have really got it going since losing their first playoff game.  Rondo returning has helped the rotation.
    Rondo and Caruso have been waaaaaaay more productive than I was expecting against the competition that they've been against. The Lakers are rolling. Bron da GOAT.
    DICK
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Bulls hire Eddie, I mean Billy Donovan.
    LeBron is the GOAT.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    The Bulls are back.
  • Doc Rivers has been fired as coach of the Clippers
  • LeBron is the GOAT.

He's unreal.  It's still amazing the 2002 Roger Bacon team knocked out SVSM in the State Title.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum

LeBron is the GOAT.

He's unreal.  It's still amazing the 2002 Roger Bacon team knocked out SVSM in the State Title.
    His mental toughness and determination really developed after the way he was treated when he left the Cavs and went to Miami.  He went from being a kid to being a man, toughened through hardship.  He was not like that in high school or in his first run in Cleveland.
    Professor_Fate
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Yeah, which he's alluded to as having gone from high school in Cleveland to college in Miami. 

This should be a good Finals.
    DICK
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Game 4 was a great game, with both teams giving it everything they had on defense and loose balls and a lot of really hard fouls on what normally would be easy layups.  It was in doubt and tied late, but in the last two minutes the Lakers pulled away.

Tonight LeBron gets a chance in a close out game.  LeBron has the highest winning percentage in closeout games in NBA history, over 79%.  So far this season, neither the Lakers nor the Heat has been faced with an elimination games, but tonight the Heat have their backs against the wall.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Game 5 was another absolutely fantastic game.  Both LeBron and Jimmie Butler were at their very best.  It came down to a one point lead for Miami and LeBron was driving and it looked like 4 Heat players were waiting for him so he fired a pass back to Danny Green who was wide open but he missed the shot from the top of the key.  Markief Morris got the rebound and passed up an open 15 footer to lob the ball underneath to Anthony Davis who was unable to go up for it ( he reinjured and ankle and was hobbling around the entire 4th quarter).  Butler had 35 points/12 rb/ and 11 Assists while LeBron had 40 points/ 13 rebounds, 7 assists.  LeBron hit 6 out of 8 threes.

Game 6 has an early 7:30 start on Sunday night.  These games have been great.
    DICK said:

Game 5 was another absolutely fantastic game.  Both LeBron and Jimmie Butler were at their very best.  It came down to a one point lead for Miami and LeBron was driving and it looked like 4 Heat players were waiting for him so he fired a pass back to Danny Green who was wide open but he missed the shot from the top of the key.  Markief Morris got the rebound and passed up an open 15 footer to lob the ball underneath to Anthony Davis who was unable to go up for it ( he reinjured and ankle and was hobbling around the entire 4th quarter).  Butler had 35 points/12 rb/ and 11 Assists while LeBron had 40 points/ 13 rebounds, 7 assists.  LeBron hit 6 out of 8 threes.

Game 6 has an early 7:30 start on Sunday night.  These games have been great.
    Danny Green is terrible.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I have watched at least a part of every NBA playoff game except for when I was driving home from Nevada.  The two best players have been LeBron and Jimmy Butler.  The other guys who impressed me the most were, in no particular order:  Nikola Jovic, Damian Lillard, Luka Doncic, Jamal Murray, Donavan Mitchell, Anthony Davis, and Kawhi Leonard.  There are several guys on that list that I would not have listed before play began in the bubble. I do think several of these new superstars will be dominating the league in the coming years.

The two games that Jimmy Butler played LeBron even or maybe even slightly better, the Heat have won.  Keys to the game tonight would include which of those two guys is more dominant, if and how well Anthony Davis plays tonight (Davis is listed as probable after re-aggravating his heel injury) , and if the Lakers can get a big game from a third player ( like Caldwell-Pope or Rajan Rondo or Kyle Kuzma or Danny Green).  When Jimmy Butler negates the LeBron advantage, the rest of the Heat are better than the rest of the Lakers.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Well, so far it is a complete blowout. Anthony Davis is playing great, several Lakers are stepping up with good games, and LeBron has been better than Butler.  Nothing like games 3,4, and 5.
    Professor_Fate