Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Women's Ice Hockey Makes Nationals - Need some financial help, can you please donate?

Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
edited October 2016 in Women's Club Sports
The following message is from coach Jim Stearns of the Miami Women's Hockey Team:

Miami will be the #2 seed in the ACHA National Championship in Kalamazoo, Michigan, March 9-13.  GO REDHAWKS!

Important Appeal to Friends of Miami Women’s Hockey.  Our team has worked hard, again represented Miami in the best possible way, and achieved its primary goal of qualifying for the national tournament (the top eight teams nationally qualify).  Our trip to Kalamazoo will cost more than $8,000 and we need to raise money so we can compete in the National Championship.  While we get good support from Miami, our ice costs and locker room fee have increased over the last couple of years.  Coincidentally, our support from the university has declined.  This year we will be only about 30-35% funded by Miami.  We charge players dues and fund-raise to balance our budget. 

I make this request very reluctantly because you all have given us the most important and best possible type of support by caring about us and/or attending our games.  But if you could see fit to help us get to nationals, we would be very grateful.  Giving is easy.  The below link will take you to “Donations” on our website.  All you have to do is click on “Donate Here” and I think you will find it is user friendly (if I can do it, anyone can).  All donations are fully tax deductible.  Any help you can give, large or small, will be greatly appreciated by our team.  For people on campus, I can take donations if that is easier for you.  I am in FSB 1022.  Thank you very much for all you have done for us this year and in the past.  Here is the “Donations” link on our website if you are so inclined:

If you prefer to write a check, please make the check out to Miami D1 Women's Ice Hockey.  On the memo line of the check, please include the team's account number, which is 3797-005.  You can mail the check to:

Dr. Jim Stearns
Farmer School of Business
Miami University
Oxford, OH  45056

Many thanks to all!  Love & Honor!
NYCRedHawkJiveHawk

Comments

• Bump
  • Made this an announcement post.
  • Thanks, Chuck!
  • LadyHawkDadLadyHawkDad Summer Orientee
    I would like to add a comment to Coach Jim's request for financial assistance.  The team does everything it can throughout the season to either raise additional funds or save costs.  The fantastic calendar they put together raised a nice amount of money (there are a very limited number still available, if you don't have yours - either post here or talk to Coach Jim), but not nearly enough to fund our Nationals trip.  The parents have obviously contributed a lot more than the "dues" our girls pay to play on the team.  In fact, through some creative donation planning, many of the team parents have "gifted" money to another team parent whose employer offers a matching contribution for charitable donations.  By forgoing our own charitable contribution and making contributions through this parent, we've effectively doubled the money the team will (eventually) receive.  To save costs, the girls sleep 4 in a room and we stay in - well - let's just stay we don't stay at Marriott or Hilton properties.

Any help we receive is appreciated more than you can possibly imagine.  Thanks for supporting the team, in what ever way that happens. 
    Professor_Fate
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Well hopefully people donate from the site like they did last year. Although I know people are still lost and not able to get to this site...
    Professor_Fate
  • bpatbpat Wealthy Alum
    I'm in for $50.
    LadyHawkDadProfessor_Fate
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    bpat said:

I'm in for $50.

In as well!
    LadyHawkDadProfessor_Fate
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    If you know of anyone who's not on HawkTalk but you think would donate, please send the link to this thread to them.  The more the better!
  • jbeck12jbeck12 Dodds God
    We chipped in and put announcement on Facebook too.
    Best of Luck Ladies!
    laxmomProfessor_Fate
  • icepicsicepics Havighurstite
    Chipped in my donation. Good luck to the women's team!
    Professor_Fate
  • laxmomlaxmom Dodds God
    done. good luck ladies.
    Professor_Fate
  • NescacdadNescacdad Wealthy Alum
    Made a smal donation...hope it helps. Good luck at nationals!
    Professor_Fate
    Nescacdad said:

Made a smal donation...hope it helps. Good luck at nationals!

Every bit helps! Thanks!!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone who donated!  You helped to support the 2015-16 National Champs!
    laxmom
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Moved this down from announcements now that the tournament is over. Congratulations once again!
    Chuck, thanks again for everything in supporting the team by moving this to the top of the page!