Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

MAC bowl games

Comments

• muredhawks22muredhawks22 Havighurstite
    Well seeing how the system is slanted towards Power 5 teams, I don't care what the Sagarin rankings say.  Make it a level playing field for all D-1 schools, and then we can revisit this discussion.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

The MAC is 8-28 since 2011 and 1-11 over the past 3 seasons.

=>This is a direct result of the arbitrary rule that must be 6-6 or better to be bowl eligible.  There are MANY teams below .500 that are much better than MAC teams with 6-6, 7-5, and 8-4 records.

For example, there are 78 available bowl spots.  Per Sagarin rankings, only #62 Ohio, #74 Toledo, and #75 NIU are top 78 teams (and just barely).  Meanwhile, there are 12 below .500 teams that are in the top 78.  Most of those ranked ahead of every MAC team.

MAC has been the primary beneficiary of the bowl eligible rule as undeserving teams with weak schedules get to play 1 extra game.  
    So then I guess we have to ask ourselves, would it be better for the MAC for its teams to go 2-1 every year or 1-5?
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    mollautt said:

The MAC is 8-28 since 2011 and 1-11 over the past 3 seasons.

=>This is a direct result of the arbitrary rule that must be 6-6 or better to be bowl eligible.  There are MANY teams below .500 that are much better than MAC teams with 6-6, 7-5, and 8-4 records.

For example, there are 78 available bowl spots.  Per Sagarin rankings, only #62 Ohio, #74 Toledo, and #75 NIU are top 78 teams (and just barely).  Meanwhile, there are 12 below .500 teams that are in the top 78.  Most of those ranked ahead of every MAC team.

MAC has been the primary beneficiary of the bowl eligible rule as undeserving teams with weak schedules get to play 1 extra game.  
    It is perhaps the only NCAA rule which benefits G5 schools.  I would say the MAC is the least benefitted of the G5 schools as the other G5 conferences have many bowls in their own footprint and their fans can easily attend.  That is why the MAC 6-6 schools are usually denied a bowl game and the other G5 conferences are not.  It also makes any bowl other than the one in Detrot basically a road game.
    redhawk11muredhawks22
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    Well NIU is keeping up the MAC tradition right now. Getting smoked by UAB.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    NIU is really pathetic. Their pass defense is laughable. MAC is just so bad in bowl games, even against C-DOA teams.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

And to think that none of this would be an issue had EMU just won the Camellia Bowl.

Don't even get me started on NIU folks.
    NIU was so bad tonight ..somehow Carey and his staff seem to make sure they are doubly bad each year at Bowl season. What are they? Zip for their last six bowl games?
    bpat said:

And this is why I said above that the MAC is a garbage conference now. Our conference champs get destroyed by a team who just reinstated their football program in 2017. And oh yeah, this was the Blazers' first ever bowl win.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

bpat said:

And this is why I said above that the MAC is a garbage conference now. Our conference champs get destroyed by a team who just reinstated their football program in 2017. And oh yeah, this was the Blazers' first ever bowl win.
    That record is also skewed because twice we've had a team play in a major bowl and screw up who was playing who.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    What an embarrassment  by NIU. for the MAC. 
    JiveHawk said:

Re6H5wk said:

bpat said:

That record is also skewed because twice we've had a team play in a major bowl and screw up who was playing who.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    I hate to say it but when Tod talks about how great our record was this year in the MAC, I roll my eyes, because the MAC really wasn't all that good this year. Showing up so far in the bowls, 0-2. Not saying the MAC was bad, just not all that great. So I have to take our record with a grain of salt, but you do play who is on your schedule. 
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

I hate to say it but when Tod talks about how great our record was this year in the MAC, I roll my eyes, because the MAC really wasn't all that good this year. Showing up so far in the bowls, 0-2. Not saying the MAC was bad, just not all that great. So I have to take our record with a grain of salt, but you do play who is on your schedule. 

=>Agreed.  All 12 MAC coaches should be fired.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

JiveHawk said:

Re6H5wk said:

bpat said:

The bowl slots all changed. So the bowl the should feature our best team ends up featuring our second best team...and on down the line.

Re6H5wkDICK
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Against my preferences, Ohio U is going to roll today to stop the conference bleeding and make football worth playing again. If not, to hell with them anyway.
    papagrandeRe6H5wkgrumpy1JHVMUFBAlumMHT_Meme_Team
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

JiveHawk said:

Re6H5wk said:

bpat said:

It's great when NIU and WMU played in major bowls, but it really hurt the matchups. Now the top team in the MAC is playing a top 10 team instead of the top CUSA team or whatever. And every MAC team shifts the competition up one. Those were the years that really hurt the conference's bowl record.
    Re6H5wk
    edited December 2018
    =>MACtion doesn’t have a true pecking order so there is no shifting up in competition. The bowls matchups are based on best possible games, geography, and other factors.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite

Against my preferences, Ohio U is going to roll today to stop the conference bleeding and make football worth playing again. If not, to hell with them anyway.

From USA Today (today):
    “Outside of a stunning loss to Miami University the Bobcats were red hot to close out the season winning 5 of their last 6 games and scoring 49 pointer or more in each of the five.”
    “Rushing attack led the MAC and ranked 8th in the country”

Re: Solich as coach
    “Solich - taking Ohio to its 9th bowl game in 10 years” AND “hasn’t had a losing season since 2008.”
    (Sure wish Miami could have some stats like that.)

Other Stats for game:
    SDSU lost 4 out of last 5, BUT beat Arizona State and Boise State on blue turf
    Run D for SDSU ranked 4th in country
    SDSU had lots of turnovers and OU is tied for #1 in nation in takeaways

It should be a good game. I hope the MAC (and OU) can pull it off tonight!
    (Then we can go back to hating OU again.)
  • The way San Diego State is playing, we'd be up 17-0 at halftime too.
    =>Will Frank the Tank in post game will say "I’m sure there are some idiot fans and media who thought the game was over, but we certainly didn’t."
    redhawk11Re6H5wk
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    mollautt said:

=>Will Frank the Tank in post game will say "I’m sure there are some idiot fans and media who thought the game was over, but we certainly didn’t."

I thought it was over!
    redhawk11DICK
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    OU is “breaking out a can of whoop ass” on SDSU.
    Great to see MAC hammering a solid bowl opponent (who had previously beaten Boise St and ASU).
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Congrats to the Bobcats.

OU dominates.
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    Had fun watching the MAC get off the schnied in the bowl season with my kid. Congrats to Rufus and his Hunter Green Bobcats.

Beat OU!
  • Did OU get a trophy and what does it look like?
    redbear18
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

I know I'll get spammed for this, but I'd just as soon drop football and funnel the funds toward hoops a la Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, etc. We're a mediocre football program in a garbage conference.

I have similar thoughts, but with other sports to focus on soccer.
    redhawk11Re6H5wk
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly

Did OU get a trophy and what does it look like?

They did...a big one. And espn even televised the presentation.

• rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    Glad OU won. At least the MAC has a bowl win this season.
    Nescacdad
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    How does Solich do it...he does not have top rated recruiting class in the MAC?

Oh wait, coaching matters. ;)  

USA Today has to kick us when we're down, can't give us credit  for the win, cold! 

AORedHawk33DICK