Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Football commits

Comments

• JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

JiveHawk said:

skins said:

skins said:

The defense needs to improve in all areas. I think they will need some of these 2019 signees to be ready to play immediately.

The JUCO DT will....maybe Pace will be ready as a frosh and it would not surprise me see McCullough (CB) out there if he's anything like his Pops.

McCullough isn't a CB. Pace will not be the first up at LB either.

What is he, safety?  I assume he's more ATH and could play either...maybe DB if he's a talent like his Dad....6-0 175 is not playing safety for awhile even at FS, pretty light IMO...who knows maybe he adds 10 pounds with early enrollment and in weight room.

Who would be ahead of Pace (I assume you'll say Hagarty, just based on ratings...screw ratings...Pace can play)?

Interesting article on Deland II...he's played against some top talent in his travels with the family around the country, especially his stop in Cali where he played nickel DB.

I could see him get out there this coming year in same role.

180 and coming in early. Who knows where he'll be in a year.

Hagardy and Pace don't even play the same LB spot. Wynn would play over Pace though. But Hargarty will see the field first because of depth at MLB vs OLB.

You should probably watch the tape before trying to guess who will play what.

Yeah I would go watch Pace's tape then.  Guy can flat out play.  

Sure can. But he's not playing MLB at 6'0" and 220lbs. Then he needs to beat out Reid and Barratti. Hagarty has a lot easier path to early playing time.
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    Coaches honestly feel that Pace and Wynn are the top two LB signees in the MAC this year.
    Redhawkfbdadskins
  • Pace was a two-way player in HS.  His "tape" probably  would have been even better if he only played LB.  
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    5 of 6 state football championships won by northern Ohio teams but we have just one recruit from the state north of Columbus. I find it curious.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

5 of 6 state football championships won by northern Ohio teams but we have just one recruit from the state north of Columbus. I find it curious.

Eh. looking at ohio, toledo, and UC's classes, none of them seemed to recruit northern ohio very hard.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Some really good news is more recruits from the Cincy, KY, and SW Ohio area than in the recent past.
  • IdiotfanIdiotfan Summer Orientee
    I heard we got a 3 star from Florida who specializes in calling timeouts against UC with one minute remaining.
    Bash_Riprockthechuck_2112skins
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

=>We recruit character. EVERYONE living outside SW Ohio is a turd.

JHVMUFBAlumD_Dayredhawk11thechuck_2112
  • Iam4hawks said:

There are seven divisions and I don’t even live in the same time zone
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Has Miami ever had so many 3 star recruits in 1 class?

Impressive considering no winning season in forever 
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

The answer is no on the 3 star question. And spot on with your second comment. Which is why despite my fun yesterday with the recruiting shows, I will remain with tempered enthusiasm. Time to see some OOC wins against FBS opponents. Like UC for instance. 
    MooreHawk
    rexjack53 said:

No, but this is also our largest class, and I think 247 has more 3 stars than ever before...but again, the sizes at the positions excite me. As someone else in another thread said, a lot of our guys committed very early, which most likely prevented offers and 247 didn't even get to truly evaluate them/didn't care because committed to us and not a P5
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    rexjack53 said:

I thought Coach Martin said in his show with Bake that this was the highest number of 3 stars Miami has ever had. Big class so that might skew the results.
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited December 2018
    Keep in mind that a lot of guys committed early or were later developing and they don't really get graded according to CM....which seems correct.

Or their grades drop as they commit to MAC school.

Our classes based on average player ranking have essentially been 1 to ~4 (ranking) in MAC each of the last four years.  

Time to beat a "Marshall or UC" don't you think?
  • JiveHawk said:

JiveHawk said:

skins said:

skins said:

The defense needs to improve in all areas. I think they will need some of these 2019 signees to be ready to play immediately.

The JUCO DT will....maybe Pace will be ready as a frosh and it would not surprise me see McCullough (CB) out there if he's anything like his Pops.

What is he, safety?  I assume he's more ATH and could play either...maybe DB if he's a talent like his Dad....6-0 175 is not playing safety for awhile even at FS, pretty light IMO...who knows maybe he adds 10 pounds with early enrollment and in weight room.

Who would be ahead of Pace (I assume you'll say Hagarty, just based on ratings...screw ratings...Pace can play)?

Interesting article on Deland II...he's played against some top talent in his travels with the family around the country, especially his stop in Cali where he played nickel DB.

Hagardy and Pace don't even play the same LB spot. Wynn would play over Pace though. But Hargarty will see the field first because of depth at MLB vs OLB.

Sure can. But he's not playing MLB at 6'0" and 220lbs. Then he needs to beat out Reid and Barratti. Hagarty has a lot easier path to early playing time.

How big was our mike this year??
    edited December 2018
    ~ 6-0.5 230

When McMullen is not on field.
  • ugh....good enough for MAC East Champ UB, but not for MU!

if you recognize the last name....Papa was the tallest player in the MAC at 6'9"
    JiveHawk

ugh....good enough for MAC East Champ UB, but not for MU!

if you recognize the last name....Papa was the tallest player in the MAC at 6'9"
    Yea, I think we are much better off with Gabbert! Hoping Gabbert has a late growth spurt and adds an inch or two. If he was 6'2" during recruiting, P5s would have been all over him.
    JiveHawk
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

JiveHawk said:

JiveHawk said:

skins said:

skins said:

How big was our mike this year??

6'1" 244. Wynn is more likely to play there than Pace.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum

I saw him play the last 3 years vs Olmsted Falls and they put up 38, 48 and 70 vs OFalls but only won one of the three games. He tortured us (O falls) and he is very tall.
  • andystefandystef Summer Orientee
    I'd have to do some research to see if Deland McCullough ranks in the top 15 running backs in Miami history and I think he probably does. I have seen some great ones including John Pont, Tom Pagna, Bobby Wallace, Tirrel Burton, Dave Thielen, Bob Bronston, Travis Prentice, Bob Hitchens, Randy Walker, Rob Carpenter, Sherman Smith,  etc  (probably left out a few).
  • Take a look at the last few years, how many guys have changed positions. I don't think you can say at this point guys will stay in the same position they were recruited in. This staff especially has shown they have no problem moving guys.
    edited December 2018
    Pace can play both...has the knowledge of a RB/FB...can squat 500+, bench ~350, run ~4.6, shuttle (5_10_5) in sub 4.3...will be 5-11/6-0 225-230 at camp if had to guess.

Seems like a guy ready to play...he's pretty stout already.

Wynn looks a bit more rangy, will be certainly be a good one, but might need/benefit from a year imo.
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    Spanks004 said:

Yea, I think we are much better off with Gabbert! Hoping Gabbert has a late growth spurt and adds an inch or two. If he was 6'2" during recruiting, P5s would have been all over him.
    I dunno Spanks..he may be just fine without a growth spurt...Brees seems to be doing all right.

andystef said:

I'd have to do some research to see if Deland McCullough ranks in the top 15 running backs in Miami history and I think he probably does. I have seen some great ones including John Pont, Tom Pagna, Bobby Wallace, Tirrel Burton, Dave Thielen, Bob Bronston, Travis Prentice, Bob Hitchens, Randy Walker, Rob Carpenter, Sherman Smith,  etc  (probably left out a few).

Andy: pretty sure Deland cracks the top 10 in yardage gained but too lazy to look it up. He was definitely a great back...wouldn’t quite put him up there with Pont, Ara, Hitchens, Carpenter, Prentice or Smith but very close behind.

edited December 2018
    DELAND...is second only to Prentice in yardage gained I believe (three time All MAC) and more burst, wiggle than any back that I've seen at Miami.
    DICKredhawk11
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    skins said:

DELAND...is second only to Prentice in yardage gained I believe (three time All MAC) and more burst, wiggle than any back that I've seen at Miami.

I think he had at least THREE 1000+ Yard seasons.

BTW his son had lots of offers (like other recruits in his class).
    He had an offer from even USC (no not South Carolina, but THE USC).
    His dad was running backs coach at USC prior to his NFL job.

Great to see him coming to Miami!

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Deland-McCullough-II-106360/RecruitInterests/
    Cincykid3
  • We’re obviously counting Deland as a Kansas HS product, but it would be a REALLY good thing if the staff made recruiting inroads at Serra when they were pursuing him.
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I was suprised to see the long time Miami fans question if he would be top 10. But they would know better than me on the older guys. I started school in 1987 and he is a close second for me behind Prentice
    CycloneAl
    I certainly place him in the top ten....I mentioned above a few guys I put ahead of him but he’s right up there about 7th on my list. (FWIW).