Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum
    Steelers have nothing to be ashamed of. Officiating cost them the Chargers game and played an important role in this game. That being said, you can’t lose to the Broncos and Raiders and complain. Hopefully we can get one of the middle linebackers with a mid round pick....
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    edited December 2018
    This was a top 5 performance of Ben’s career, all things considered. Despite that, if this game drives him to call it quits, I wouldn’t be shocked. He’s clearly lost any patience he once had dealing with young receivers, and were it not for Juju being awesome this year Ben probably would have had a meltdown. I don’t think Ben would want to risk having a new head coach reign him in, but at the same time I’m not sure how he feels about Tomlin anymore either. He probably realizes the defense isn’t good enough to go 12-4 anymore and is several players away from that. And finally, with Foster and Gilbert (despite his injuries and ’roids) probably gone next year, the offensive line that has been so good is going to be much different. I wouldn’t think Ben would want to risk going back to the years where he was getting clobbered constantly.
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    Good news for Steelers fans: Sunday’s game was flexed to 4:25, those none 1p games are not Friends of Bengals.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    dudis41 said:

This was a top 5 performance of Ben’s career, all things considered. Despite that, if this game drives him to call it quits, I wouldn’t be shocked. He’s clearly lost any patience he once had dealing with young receivers, and were it not for Juju being awesome this year Ben probably would have had a meltdown. I don’t think Ben would want to risk having a new head coach reign him in, but at the same time I’m not sure how he feels about Tomlin anymore either. He probably realizes the defense isn’t good enough to go 12-4 anymore and is several players away from that. And finally, with Foster and Gilbert (despite his injuries and ’roids) probably gone next year, the offensive line that has been so good is going to be much different. I wouldn’t think Ben would want to risk going back to the years where he was getting clobbered constantly.

Needing defensive help was Ben's whole point when he went off about the Steelers using a 3rd round pick this year on a possible future QB.  Ben had just told them he was going to play 3 more years and then instead of drafting a guy who could have relaly helped the defense, they draft a possible future QB who played no plays all year.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Everything is fine....
    moose
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    edited January 1
    Bell gone. Brown gone too? Friendly family feud with Ben or something more serious?

Based on his contract, he probably stays.
    agc
    As Tomlin says, “we will tolerate you until we can replace you.”

Not replacing AB anytime soon.
    moose
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Stole this from a Steelers blog:

1. The game was not shown on my home TV. I can’t blame the deciders. Why show one crappy team playing a crappy team from Ohio when they could show a different crappy team playing a different crappy team from Ohio? The AFC North should be treated like the winner of the MAC conference, and not be invited to the playoffs.
    dave67
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Brown reported to be asking for trade. This is fun
    moose
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum

Brown reported to be asking for trade. This is fun

Dallas or Oakland?
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Antonio

;D
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    Welp, was nice to watch him as a Steeler. Can't say he didn't bust his butt on the field.
  • moosemoose Senior Barfly
    edited January 4
    So Brown misses multiple meetings during the season and blows up last week and skipped the game, but had time to compete on The Masked Singer at some point? Sounds like a great teammate.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    moose said:

So Brown misses multiple meetings during the season and blows up last week and skipped the game, but had time to compete on The Masked Singer at some point? Sounds like a great teammate.

That shitty show was filmed in June.
    Bengals fans will be devastated to hear that the Steelers let Joey Porter go yesterday.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Trade Brown and Bell to bottom tier teams for picks and reload. 
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    If they tag Bell, it would have to be to keep him. No one would trade for him for the off chance that he might play for them under a tag.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    Bell is gone. 
    Hate to lose Munchak. You wonder if there are more problems there that are reported. Big Ben is not as popular as some may believe, although he is not the major reason for missing the playoffs.

Hope they get a 1st for AB. Looks like SF is where AB would like to land.
    agc
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    EDDIE said:

Hate to lose Munchak. You wonder if there are more problems there that are reported. Big Ben is not as popular as some may believe, although he is not the major reason for missing the playoffs.

Hope they get a 1st for AB. Looks like SF is where AB would like to land.
    Munchak's daughter and grandchildren live in Denver.  Don't read more into it.
    Family was only part of the decision. The money factor was huge. And there are other factors we don't know about.

agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

Family was only part of the decision. The money factor was huge. And there are other factors we don't know about.

If we don't know about them, how do you know that they exist?  A couple of years ago you were sure Ben was retiring.  That was not right at all.  Personally, I think Ben is the unquestioned leader of the Steelers, Brown and Bell were great players but prima Donnas, and getting rid of Todd Haley as offensive coordinator was a great thing.  He demonstrated in Cleveland why he was a negative for the team. Ben is the guy who holds the team together,who always shows up and plays through many injuries.  Those other guys were more in it for themselves than for the team.
    JohnnyMacEDDIEgrumpy1
    Repeating...the money factor was huge. There are other factors we don't know about. I wasn't talking about a QB

Stating the obvious...of course Ben is the leader. He'll make the Hall Of Fame.

The retiring prediction two years ago? Wow. Don't forget another prediction I made about a player transferring 20 years ago!
    agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 15
    To me you have been taking swipes at Ben for a couple of years, and Yes, because of that I thought you were implying that Ben was a factor in Munchak leaving. perhaps I should have quoted your 11:08 post.  You know Ben just led the NFL in total passing yardage.
    EDDIE
    Huh?

I'm a huge Ben fan and want him  to win a Super Bowl and MVP every year. Didn't I just say he is a future Hall-Of-Famer?

But like most true Steeler fans, I don't give him a free pass every game, or for off-the-field behavior.The same applies to all other players.

I'm hoping Ben makes the Steelers great again. But he'll need help.
    agc
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    EDDIE said:

Repeating...the money factor was huge. There are other factors we don't know about. I wasn't talking about a QB

Stating the obvious...of course Ben is the leader. He'll make the Hall Of Fame.

The retiring prediction two years ago? Wow. Don't forget another prediction I made about a player transferring 20 years ago!
    Dick pointed out the idiocy in your “...other factors we don’t know about”, yet you persist. What do you think those “factors” might be?
    EDDIE
    No. Ben is the perfect QB in Dick's eyes. Not mine or the vast majority of Steelers fans. He's my favorite Pro Football player but sorry...no free pass for every move he makes.

Re the idiocy of your comment (my comment?) regarding "factors,:...Actually, not my words. I believe it was Tim Benz who offered some interesting opinions within the last few days. Munchak's most recent comments lay some of them to rest. But not all of them.
    agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited January 15
    What off the field behavior are you referring to?  What he got suspended for a long time ago?Because that is the only issue I am aware of.   Ben was upset when the Steelers "wasted" a third round draft pick last year on a QB for the future, right after he had told the team he was going to play 3 more years.  I was disgusted with that pick too, for the same reason Ben was.  The Steelers had real needs in the lb and db corps that could have been addressed with that pick.  Heck, since they missed the playoffs by the narrowest of margins, one more good defender might have made the distance.  That QB never played all year long.  Specifically, what are you referring too?
    It's obvious what I was referring to. He hasn't had many (2 or less) for you not to know.

Re the "wasted" 3rd-round pick...It's too early to tell. Neither of us know. Another lb or db may have made a difference. Maybe not. Maybe two more wins and an early playoff exit. Maybe a SB. Rudolph may be the real deal. Again, you (we) don't know.

Ben is a great player. But he deserves incredible praise and justified criticism when warranted.

agc