Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Duluth series

BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
Four-game homestand, need some wins. 

Our preview:

MooreHawk

Comments

• MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Team has played much better at home then away. Need to go 3-1 over the next two weeks to set up for the end of the season. Three rough road trips left in @St Cloud, @Denver and @Duluth.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    100 % agree team MUST go 3-1 over 4 games.

Last weekend played the hottest team in the nation.

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    When you guys say we really need to win 3 out of 4 over the next two weekends, it is true, that if we actually plan to play in the NCAA, we need to do that.  However , do you realize that we have won exactly 2 of our last 12 games??  Bunch of ties in there, but it does seem like a big ask to suddenly win 3 games in the next 9 days when we have only won 2 in the last couple of months, Plus 2 of the games are against the defending national champions who have owned us over the past couple of years.
    redhawk11
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    Of the past 6 series however, 4 were on the road. The two at home were against two good teams in North Dakota and St. Cloud and we essentially split both.

I don't think a split against Duluth and sweep against CC (who we split with on the road) is unreasonable but either way it is what we need to get the season back on track.
  • Yager07KumlerYager07Kumler Senior Barfly
    Down 4-0 with 13:57 to play in the 2nd period.

I have lost faith. Time for an overhaul.
    JiveHawk
  • NYCRedHawkNYCRedHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 18
    Wow just checked in - down 4-0. I haven’t watched one hockey game this season. Time for Rico to go.
    MooreHawkagcDICKIam4hawks
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Honestly....I'm not sure what people thought this season was going be with 2/3 of the coaching staff replaced and 6 players to reasons other than graduation and some replaced with late offerings. This was rebuild season from the get-go.  The second period got away from us tonight, and in hockey, more than most sports playing from behind means taking huge risks and a good team will take advantage as often as not. Watch the the post game presser and note the difference between Blasi and Martin. He absolutely refuses to throw anyone under the bus. The only thing you can expect from this year is for it go be wildly inconsistent. 
    JCook32dave67

Down 4-0 with 13:57 to play in the 2nd period.

I have lost faith. Time for an overhaul.

What is 6 new players and 2 new coaches if not an overhaul?

• Cheap shot by Duluth #27 in third period led to shenanigans. This plus being embarrassed on home ice I expect us to come out skating hard tonight. Although Duluth did look to be the better team.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Shut out again, this time 3-0.  0-4 in the second half.
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    Lost game 2 by the score of 3-0.

Not good.
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Have we really not won a game that counts since mid November?
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

Lost game 2 by the score of 3-0.

Not good.

I am having a difficult time accepting the demise of the hockey program. It is even more surprising than our football decline. Not good is an understatement.
  • GeneGene Havighurstite
    What is going wrong with the Men’s athletic programs? They seem to be falling deeper than ever into an abyss of irrelevance. Something must be done soon before no one goes to athletic events at all.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    The college hockey world has been turned upside down. Perennial powers BU, BC, MSU, UM Wisconsin, Minnesota are lower or equally as off as Miami. Massachusetts a #1seed???? Providence on the cusp, now outside tournament pairwise. What gives? Perhaps parity? Youth hockey in America has blown by the traditional placement sequence to the next step, i.e. "hockey college". No longer is there just Boston or Minnesota, but now there's UMASS or UMD. Advice for the frustrated like me? Get ready to ride the wave when it comes to Oxford, perhaps not this year, but stay tuned so you don't miss it. B)
    JCook32DICKnaptownHawkMooreHawkLove_and_HonorGene
    ZERO excuse for how team totally sucked at home over the weekend.,

0-5-1 in 2019.

Rico and his staff should be ashamed of the product  they have put on  ice this year. 

Hockey program is now a joke.
  • BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    Wrap-up and my thoughts from Saturday: https://blogofbrotherhood.com/2019/01/20/four-straight-shutouts-for-umd-vs-miami/

I might be getting a little soft in my old age.
    dave67
    Thanks Bonk.  Insightful as always.  I especially agree with the observation about Hutton.  Could there be a "senior slump" to go with the "sophomore slump"?  Altho, I think Siroky might be an exception, at least recently.
    There was never a doubt in my mind that this was going to be a rebuild season. It's going to take another year, maybe two before were at the same level talent-wise with others in this league. 

• BonkBonk Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 21
    Iam4hawks said:

There was never a doubt in my mind that this was going to be a rebuild season. It's going to take another year, maybe two before were at the same level talent-wise with others in this league. 

I thought that going in, but the 7-2 start and the SUCS series really had me believing.

That seems like years ago now.
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    Iam4hawks said:

I feel like every year is a rebuilding year
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum

Iam4hawks said:

In every sport.
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Top level programs reload....others rebuild.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    Renmanco said:

Top level programs reload....others rebuild.

and rebuild...
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I havent followed the hockey team that much this year. Is there reason for optimism with the young players?
    Rebuild? Again? What a joke
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

Iam4hawks said:

In every sport.

The fancy skating thing is pretty consistent.
    grumpy1JCook32
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    rexjack53 said:

Rebuild? Again? What a joke

I don't think a single person expected this to not be a rebuilding season? Losing Meyer, Sherwood, and Belpedio? Then adding 9 new skaters (and the star didn't make it because he's busy with 36 points in 33 games in the OHL because he would've missed the first half of the season).

Adding Matthew Barry (11 points in 13 games to lead Holy Cross, will miss first half due to transfer), Brett Murray (3rd in the USHL in scoring with 44 in 36 games and Buffalo Sabres draft pick), and Ryan Savage (19 in 33 USHL games) to just replace Melnick up front adds a lot of size and scoring options.

On the backend, 6'3" Alec Capstick who has 26 in 43 BCHL games, 6'4" Jack Clement from the USHL, Uula Ruikka (9 in 26 USHL games), and 6'3" Matt Kessel (9 in 34 USHL games, former #7 overall USHL draft pick) to replace Hutton (who hasn't played well lately) and River.

And I think the goalie spot will be in safe hands when Larkin leaves with Ben Kraws.

But all of that is because of new recruiting pipelines that didn't exist before the coaching changes. What did anyone honestly expect?
    MooreHawkdave67hawk_rock
    Did not expect 4 straight awful years.
    rexjack53 said:

Did not expect 4 straight awful years.

must not be a football fan
    redhawk11skin66The_SackmanLove_and_HonorAORedHawk33Gene