Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

The Crawfords

President Crawford and Renate are fantastic in their support of Miami sports. Cheering at the game, interacting with fans, passing out Miami swag. I always thought no one could match Phil Shriver as a Miami fan in that position, but they are certainly holding up His standard.
agcJCook32D_DayRe6H5wkJiveHawkDICK

Comments

• agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    Renate came all the day to where I was sitting with my family to give a MU cookie to my daughter. Talking about class and graciousness 
    redhawk11Bash_RiprockAORedHawk33Re6H5wkDICKChrisW1980
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    Looking forward to his support when the $1B campus wide capital campaign is announced!!!
    AORedHawk33DICKChrisW1980
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

President Crawford and Renate are fantastic in their support of Miami sports. Cheering at the game, interacting with fans, passing out Miami swag. I always thought no one could match Phil Shriver as a Miami fan in that position, but they are certainly holding up His standard.

Phil Shriver? Was he named after that center?
    grumpy1JCook32DICKChrisW1980
  • The Crawfords are to be applauded for their support of Miami athletics. Not only are they at and vocally supporting virtually every Miami athletic event, things like One Miami weekend don’t happen at all without them. The president’s office actually buys the tickets issued to the faculty and staff attending this weekend’s games. I love seeing their enthusiasm and support of our student-athletes and appreciate their undying support of all things Miami!
    redhawk11thechuck_2112agcQuinoaburgerWellsGoddess944302AORedHawk33skin66JiveHawkBash_RiprockJCook32and 4 others.
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Can Renate coach hockey?
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Looking forward to his support when the $1B campus wide capital campaign is announced!!!

That would be absolutely wonderful. Do it right and build a dedicated BB facility that will serve both men and women's BB and volleyball. Append another student rec center...or something to get a portion of the building state funding to offset construction expenses. Be creative....but now is the time to do it. Interest rates on any debt package are about as low as they'll be so it's a good time to undertake that capital project.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    Some fans at Miami basketball games treat it as a tennis match and even get mad when you yell and cheer. President Crawford was getting everyone to stand up and cheer the last few minutes of the game, something that almost takes a miracle to accomplish.
    AORedHawk33Bash_Riprock90skinD_DayDICKskin66Love_and_Honor
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I just wish that his wife would stop doing YMCA while wearing perfectly acceptable pants!!!--another thread fire take
    Bash_Riprockgrumpy1Re6H5wkredhawk11
  • AORedHawk33AORedHawk33 Wealthy Alum
    This message board never seizes to amaze me. Some very interesting people out there.
  • 90skin90skin Senior Barfly
    I think Miami scored a helluva coup getting the Crawfords.  Hoping they are around for quite a while.
    Renmanco said:

Nickskin said:

That would be absolutely wonderful. Do it right and build a dedicated BB facility that will serve both men and women's BB and volleyball. Append another student rec center...or something to get a portion of the building state funding to offset construction expenses. Be creative....but now is the time to do it. Interest rates on any debt package are about as low as they'll be so it's a good time to undertake that capital project.

Yes.  Do it right.  There was some money ($4M or so) set aside for Millett Hall in the GRADUATING CHAMPIONS campaign (building an annex with new locker rooms to the East side of the building) but those changes never happened so it sounds like is is going to happen in the next capital campaign which should be announced soon. 

CLICK HERE for the 10.19.15 "Ask the AD" segment (3:35 mark) where DS suggests that if they couldn't incorporate any new changes to Millett Hall during the "GRADUATING CHAMPIONS" campaign that he would expect that next campus wide campaign would incorporate an arena in that campaign.  Further, Renmanco, your suggestion about being creative is also discussed by DS as he suggests that a northern rec complex would be a good partner to Millett Hall.

Also, if you CLICK HERE for the 10.26.16 "Ask the AD" segment (3:41 mark), DS suggests that President Crawford is working on a new or renovated Millett Hall in the next campus wide campaign.

AORedHawk33ChrisW1980
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum

This message board never seizes to amaze me. Some very interesting people out there.

You should be more sympathetic to those with epilepsy.
    MowchAORedHawk33ChiefPanic
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Nickskin said:

Renmanco said:

Nickskin said:

Yes.  Do it right.  There was some money ($4M or so) set aside for Millett Hall in the GRADUATING CHAMPIONS campaign (building an annex with new locker rooms to the East side of the building) but those changes never happened so it sounds like is is going to happen in the next capital campaign which should be announced soon. 

CLICK HERE for the 10.19.15 "Ask the AD" segment (3:35 mark) where DS suggests that if they couldn't incorporate any new changes to Millett Hall during the "GRADUATING CHAMPIONS" campaign that he would expect that next campus wide campaign would incorporate an arena in that campaign.  Further, Renmanco, your suggestion about being creative is also discussed by DS as he suggests that a northern rec complex would be a good partner to Millett Hall.

Also, if you CLICK HERE for the 10.26.16 "Ask the AD" segment (3:41 mark), DS suggests that President Crawford is working on a new or renovated Millett Hall in the next campus wide campaign.

The Campaign is in what's called "the quite phase." Details, some sketchy, can be accessed by reviewing the Miami Board of Trustee meeting minutes. To the best of my searching these documents, I still see nothing suggesting a new BB arena or even a re-do of Millett is in the cards.
    Believe me, I would be delighted to be surprised with a big announcement that one (or the other) is going live....soon.
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Some fans at Miami basketball games treat it as a tennis match and even get mad when you yell and cheer. President Crawford was getting everyone to stand up and cheer the last few minutes of the game, something that almost takes a miracle to accomplish.

I never get why current students, however limited they are, sit down and don't do anything to make for a decent atmosphere. It's like they've never seen a college hoops game, which is almost certainly not the case. From 2012-16 when I was at Miami the only times I recall a decent-sized student section standing and making noise was against OU one time and Dayton after we came back.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    They should have had exhibition games at Withrow...never a lack of noise with wooden bleachers. Perhaps the students might understand the positive effect. But, alas, no more Withrow, and no more noise. D:
    skin66
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 27

JiveHawk said:

I never get why current students, however limited they are, sit down and don't do anything to make for a decent atmosphere. It's like they've never seen a college hoops game, which is almost certainly not the case. From 2012-16 when I was at Miami the only times I recall a decent-sized student section standing and making noise was against OU one time and Dayton after we came back.
    The ushers used to actively discourage it.  That is not a joke or an exaggeration: they would tell students to sit down and be quiet because it upset the blue hairs to have them carrying on.

I don't know if that's still the case, but it certainly was from 2000-05.
    redhawk11Re6H5wkdave67AORedHawk33DICKskin66Love_and_HonorRenmancoChrisW1980
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    JCook32
    edited January 27
    Students sitting is NOT an usher issue.....entirely  

The main issue is the lack of a real student section in Millett Hall.  Of course there is some contradiction on the Miami website as to where the student section actually is located:

1) According to THIS - the 2014-15 Millett Hall guide....still associated with Millett Hall found on the facilities page) the seating map suggests that the student section is found in sections 20, 21 and 22 (BTW...a proportionally large block of seating).  

2) According to THIS,  the student sections are found in 20 and 21 However, this map also places the Miami band in section 21 and that is no longer correct.

Miami also occasionally adds temporary bleachers near the visitors bench.  Sometime it is there, sometimes not.  

The student section - - - listed by Miami in both seating charts are in such a bad location.  It's far away from the action.  It is too big. Unfortunately, under the current court configuration, I'm not sure how many choices Miami has.

ALSO...The ushers don't direct the students to JUST those sections as students also find their way to sections 17, 18 and 19...and to the occasionally court side bleacher.  As such, students sit in sections 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 and the temporary bleacher.

The lack of a student dedicated student section directly impacts so many aspects of the atmosphere.  A dedicated student section provides better engagement than what one might found with students sitting throughout the arena.  

Miami 's messaging is so confusing its no surprise that Millett Hall suffers.  I'm wondering if Miami has anyone designated to Millett Hall for fan (student) engagement

Miami MUST determine the best student seating section...one that is big enough to accommodate all the students but also one that doesn't separate them into multiple locations (I.e. section 20 AND the temporary bleacher).  After it figures this out, the ushers must then do their job.
    redhawk11thechuck_2112skin66Renmanco
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Take out the seats and everyone stand. Vis-a-vis English football
  • ScalperScalper Senior Barfly
    edited January 28

JiveHawk said:

Some fans at Miami basketball games treat it as a tennis match and even get mad when you yell and cheer. President Crawford was getting everyone to stand up and cheer

I

Can’t speak for Millett but at Yager once an usher came out of the press box to tell my son and his friend to quiet down as they were disturbing people in the press box.

The ushers used to actively discourage it.  That is not a joke or an exaggeration: they would tell students to sit down and be quiet because it upset the blue hairs to have them carrying on.

I don't know if that's still the case, but it certainly was from 2000-05.

• DevilGradDevilGrad Wealthy Alum
    90skin said:

I think Miami scored a helluva coup getting the Crawfords.  Hoping they are around for quite a while.

That has definitely been my impression.  

The comments about student section seating are kind of dispiriting to a guy who used to go early to secure a seat in the "bleacher rats" section.  Meanwhile, my kid is on Day 17 of living in a tent to make sure he's got a good spot for a game that will be played on February 20th.  
    Mowch
  • ScalperScalper Senior Barfly
    Cyclists will get this. Crawford’s should consider a Ride with the RedHawks fund raiser on Zwift. Donate a dollar for every KM you ride with them. Double it if they beat you. Fun to see a hundred or more hawks on the tv.