Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Sean McVay is putting a spotlight on Miami

agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
edited January 29 in Paid to Play
You might enjoy the following article on Forbes on how Sean McVay is putting a spotlight on Miami
https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoore/2019/01/29/la-rams-coach-sean-mcvay-is-super-bowl-salesman-for-his-alma-mater

One eye-catching, sports-unrelated sentence: "... in the mid-1970s ... the state-supported as much as 65 percent of the overall budget... now they say it's less than 10 percent" 

Can this explain why we suck at every sport now? Did we use state money to fund sports before? I am genuinely curious
Mowch

Comments

• Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    The state used to support every aspect of higher education at a much high-level than it does now....thedropsarted in the late 70s or early 80s. 

• 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Our University President is quoted as saying “Miami of Ohio”.
    agc
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    I'll be interested to see how much McVay reciprocates the love Miami is currently pouring out. High profile football alums like Brandon Brooks, Harbaugh, and Ben have done a good job of giving back to the program in various ways. McVay certainly isn't obligated to, but it would be great to see him continue that trend.

Crazy that he's one win away from having his own statue at Miami... at 33.
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    edited January 29
    19goSkins said:Our University President is quoted as saying “Miami of Ohio”.

Yeah, I find that utterly unacceptable. I hope the reported added the
    "of Ohio", instead of the president saying it.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    19goSkins said:

Our University President is quoted as saying “Miami of Ohio”.

Guess what phrase the university has a pending trademark application on
    redhawk11Re6H5wk
  • FredFred Dodds God
    The author of this article is a very active Miami alumnus. Disappointing to use Miami of Ohio. Ugh.
    It’s a quote, folks. Greg Crawford said it, and Terrence Moore is quoting him.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    edited January 30

I'll be interested to see how much McVay reciprocates the love Miami is currently pouring out. High profile football alums like Brandon Brooks, Harbaugh, and Ben have done a good job of giving back to the program in various ways. McVay certainly isn't obligated to, but it would be great to see him continue that trend.

I thought it was win the Super Bowl, win a national championship, win NFL coach of the year, or win national coach of the year.

• Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    redhawk11 said:

I thought it was win the Super Bowl, win a national championship, win NFL coach of the year, or win national coach of the year.

Maybe it is, I honestly don't know. I guess I just assumed you had to win a championship
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Induction into the "Cradle" is necessary also, I presume.
  • BlackbirdBlackbird Off-Campus Slummer
    Harkens back to a glorious football past <ducking and running>image
    Iam4hawks
    Apologies--my attempt to paste a photo worked on my computer, but doesn't show here.

• Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    Still ten minutes left in the 4th, but this game, halftime show, and commercials so far are about as exciting as the topography of Bowling Green, Ohio.
    muhoopsjunkieagcredhawk11AORedHawk33Gene
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

Still ten minutes left in the 4th, but this game, halftime show, and commercials so far are about as exciting as the topography of Bowling Green, Ohio.

#SaintsvsChiefs

So despite having extra-long commercial breaks to accommodate Super Bowl ads, and despite having an extra-long halftime for a halftime show, that Super Bowl on CBS aired in less time than the LSU-Florida CBS SEC Game of the Week from last season.  (And that one was a regulation time game, not an OT game.)
    redhawk11
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Helps when the clock keeps moving and isn’t stopped on every first down.