Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Spring Football 2019

Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
The spring preview is up on Miami's website. Didn't see a full spring roster posted, but they give a position breakdown. No mention of Malzone at QB. I know he was in the transfer portal, but didn't know if he had actually left the program. Looks like its between Mayer and Williamson.

Comments

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    One noticeable thing about that spring report. It mentions all the returning players we have on special teams, but there is absolutely zero mention of any punt returners.  I know both the NFL and NCAA have been slowly eliminating kick off returns, perhaps Miami is a leader in eliminating punt returns.  
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    DICK said:

One noticeable thing about that spring report. It mentions all the returning players we have on special teams, but there is absolutely zero mention of any punt returners.  I know both the NFL and NCAA have been slowly eliminating kick off returns, perhaps Miami is a leader in eliminating punt returns.  
    I believe this is known as the Jared Murphy strategy.
    aba222DICK
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    No mentions of punt returners until coaching staff can evaluate who is best at fair catches in spring practice.
    DICKredhawk11thechuck_2112cwRedhawkselpalito
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    Official spring roster posted. Besides Malzone, Blake Underwood has apparently left the program. Wasn't if that was new or old news. Practice starts tomorrow!
  • ScalperScalper Senior Barfly
    Hope we are better at cracking skulls than we are making dance videos.
    MHT_Meme_Teammrgredhawk
  • DavearamaDavearama Dodds God
    Malzone on the transfer portal??? 

Didn't go back to old threads but guess he had two years of eligibility left when he left Michigan and used on up last year at Miami? 

Where does someone like that transfer to and why bother? Stay at Miami and finish your masters and get on with it. Under grad at Michigan and grad degree at Miami sounds pretty impressive to me. Seems to me having been a backup at a place like Michigan isn't the worst thing in the world and isn't going to scar you for life.
    agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Maybe Malzone just wants to get to be a starting college QB somewhere for a year.  He never got that opportunity.  Transfer down to a lower division team who needs a QB and he can start next year.
    JiveHawkDavearama
  • FootbalheadFootbalhead Dodds God
    DICK said:

Maybe Malzone just wants to get to be a starting college QB somewhere for a year.  He never got that opportunity.  Transfer down to a lower division team who needs a QB and he can start next year.

From what I seen he shouldn't have been at Miami let alone Michigan.
    Spanks004
  • DavearamaDavearama Dodds God
    Dick Wealthy Alum said...
    Maybe Malzone just wants to get to be a starting college QB somewhere for a year.  He never got that opportunity.  Transfer down to a lower division team who needs a QB and he can start next year

Hadn't thought of it that way and that works. Sure as hell can't blame him for trying. I can see if I was all that in high school and got full ride to Michigan and never saw much action I'd want to give it another shot.  You transfer and no luck (at Miami). Still have that itch and want one more chance to play and lead. Nothing wrong with that. 

Keep trying...don't give up and all that.  Gotta' wish him luck. 

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Sometimes it works. Sometimes...Not so well (Billy Bahl).
  • Redskin89Redskin89 Dodds God
    Any observations from the practice Tuesday?
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    We have a 3rd QB mentioned in the preview who will arrive on campus soon. It will be interesting to see how this battle shapes up. Truth is we are going into the season with our top three QBs never having taken a snap. So maybe a fully open competition will be the way to go. 2 of the 3 have been with the program so they obviously are more familiar with the offense and the players. Could, and should be, an interesting battle. Whoever gets the job will be battle tested under and learning under fire. At least they will have a fairly veteran OL. 
    DICK
  • This is Jackson's team.  We'll have him for 3 seasons and it will be good.  If Gabbert can beat him out then all the better because I feel good about Jackson Williamson.
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum

This is Jackson's team.  We'll have him for 3 seasons and it will be good.  If Gabbert can beat him out then all the better because I feel good about Jackson Williamson.

I feel better about Meyer.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

This is Jackson's team.  We'll have him for 3 seasons and it will be good.  If Gabbert can beat him out then all the better because I feel good about Jackson Williamson.

I feel even better about Mayer B)
    JCook32
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

I feel even better about Mayer.
    JCook32
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    edited March 14

JiveHawk said:

I feel even better about Mayer.

JiveHawk said:

I feel even better about Mayer B)
    Doesn't count when you copy each other B)
    Redhawks16
  • Spanks004Spanks004 Wealthy Alum
    I would go with Meyer over Williamson, but excited to see spring ball to solidify my opinion. Although since we don't play an actual game, will be hard to judge.

Is the 3rd QB Gabbert, or we have a transfer?
  • ChrisW1980ChrisW1980 Dodds God
    Mayer is a winner.  He has good technique and is a natural leader.  I think we will all be very happy with him.
    Bash_Riprock
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    I'm happy with whomever can get us to 7 wins...that would still be a low bar in the long and storied history of Miami FB but, lately, still a worthwhile accomplishment
    Nescacdad
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum

I didn't say it was anyone's team. I want a good, fierce, hard fought open competition and may the best man win. Same at every other position. 
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    JiveHawk said:

Dave?
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum

JiveHawk said:

Dave?
    Ray Meyer
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum

JiveHawk said:

Dave?
    Ray Meyer
    Carson's old tapeworm?
    redhawk11grumpy1
  • HawksGrad18HawksGrad18 Summer Orientee
    Jack's job to lose.
  • laxdaddylaxdaddy Senior Barfly
    QB is the hardest position to project who is going to be a winner come game time. Decision making under game pressure is so critical for success. Billy Bahl had the size and arm but he could not match Ragland in his decision making.

I have no idea who will win the job.The guy who initially wins the job also may not hold the the job once the the performance under pressure is truly evaluated in games.

Jackson has an advantage because he has one more year of experience. However, Mayer appears to have a little better size and athleticism.

You also can't discount Gabbert. He will be a true freshman but he has to know what it takes to compete watching and learning from his brother over the years. I doubt he will be able to win the job straight out of fall practice. If he does we have reason to be optimistic about the future. However, if the other guys falter in OOC games he may get his chance by October.

May the best man win!

DICK