Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Comments

• EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    Wow. Leader. Hero. Can you imagine if...

agc
    Exactly.

Look for Steelers to sign/draft a solid wr and te (assuming my favorite Penn State te bolts).
    agc
    Hines Ward calls out Ben...and Brown. Loved watching that guy play.

Tomlin, Ben, and Brown need to talk. Maybe Brown will be back. Better than getting a second-round draft pick (or late first) for him.

#GrowUp
    agc
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    I still dont think it's wrong that a QB call out that he isn't obligated to throw to one target.
    gentbaseball12
    edited February 7
    Might be tough to get a 1st round pick now. I would take a 2nd round pick. They might end up with only a conditional second round pick.
    agc
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    EDDIE said:

Might be tough to get a 1st round pick for draft now. I would take a 2nd round pick. They might end up with only a conditional second round pick.

If you’re referring to AB, with this domestic incident his value is dropping. I think we’ll get a 3rd round pick, now. It’s time to take the best offer and get him out of town before he does something else stupid.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    10 of Ben's 17 interceptions were on passes targeting Antonio Brown.  I think that when Ben would start throwing to guys with single coverage, Brown bitched about it because he was not getting his numbers.  In order to keep Antonio happy and working hard, Ben sometimes forced throws into tight coverage to Brown.
    grumpy1
    edited February 7
    grumpy1 said:

EDDIE said:

I was. They could end up with two 3rd-round picks over the next few years for Bell and Brown.

Who would have imagined that a few years ago!I was. Ironically, they may end up with two 3rd-round draft picks for Bell and Brown. Who would have imagined that a few years ago!

Might be tough to get a 1st round pick for draft now. I would take a 2nd round pick. They might end up with only a conditional second round pick.

If you’re referring to AB, with this domestic incident his value is dropping. I think we’ll get a 3rd round pick, now. It’s time to take the best offer and get him out of town before he does something else stupid.

agc
    I was. They could end up with two 3rd-round picks over the next few years for Bell and Brown.

Who would have imagined that a few years ago!
    agc
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    The Steelers should end up with some cap space in losing Brown and Bell, which could translate to a couple of good FA signings.
    Brown gone. Not official, but close. Glad he found time to tweet instead of showing up at his court appearance.

He'll be missed, but not the selfishness. Hope they get a 2nd-rounder for him. SF can afford that and more.
    agc
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    lol he just didn't show for court? That surely did not go over well.
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly

lol he just didn't show for court? That surely did not go over well.

Don't think he had to show.  He had already paid the fine for his speeding violation.
    Reckless driving which is much more serious. He was clocked at 100 mph + on McKnight Rd (Pittsburgh). This is a very well-traveled road. Reckless opps can result in a license suspension.
    agc
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I would hope that he actually had to show in person for driving 100 mph
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Without pulling out the PA crimes code I’m pretty sure the max sentence for reckless driving carries potential jail time in addition to license issues, so it’s definately not a court date to miss. The actual violation probably wasn’t as bad as it seems (I drive McKnight everyday and while it’s very busy during rush hour it’s also pretty dead at other times, including when AB was pulled over, people fly down that road), and had he just been contrite to the judge, as he purportedly was to the officer that nabbed him, he probably would have gottten a reduced charge.

What a mess this has become. One of the morning show hosts thinks AB hasn’t been the same since Burfict nearly decapitated him in the playoff game, and I’m beginning to agree with him. Before then everything AB did was harmless. After that though, the antics became increasingly irrational and self destructive.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Does his family have a history of reckless driving and suspensions?
    redhawk11EDDIEmoose
    Yes they do!

His father has been arrested 173 times and his brother sold counterfeit baseball seats from baseball stadiums.
    thechuck_2112The_SackmanRe6H5wkagc
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I knew it...
    "He has a owner mentality like he can call out anybody including coaches. Players know but they can’t say anything about it otherwise they meal ticket gone. It’s a dirty game within a game."

Despite meeting with Rooney, Brown is gone, especially after this comment about his QB.

agc
    Apparently...No to the 49ers, Raiders, and others. Could it be the Bills?

Bills draft 9 and 40. Can't see them giving up the 9th pick.

Brown says it's not true.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    EDDIE said:

Apparently...No to the 49ers, Raiders, and others. Could it be the Bills?

Bills draft 9 and 40. Can't see them giving up the 9th pick.

Brown says it's not true.
    You can not give your young, promising QB MR BIG CHEST to deal with.
    dave67
    Buffalo GM says no deal. Brown appeared to say the same thing. His best destination, which the dumba** doesn't realize...is Pittsburgh! Too late now.
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    A 3rd and a 5th round pick for Brown to the Raiders. That's a bit of a kick to the groin for the steelers. Plus $21 million in dead cap space. I know they're happy to now move on, but they have to feel a bit short-changed.
    moose
    Steelers got fleeced and Colbert looks like a moron. This deal would have been available at the draft. They should have held out for a first round pick (which I think also would have happened at the draft, with the Raiders perhaps).
    moose
  • Redhawks16Redhawks16 Wealthy Alum
    edited March 10
    I think Kevin Colbert is a good, if not excellent, talent evaluator. But the team management side of the business leaves a lot to be desired imo.
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    dudis41 said:

Steelers got fleeced and Colbert looks like a moron. This deal would have been available at the draft. They should have held out for a first round pick (which I think also would have happened at the draft, with the Raiders perhaps).

AB wasn't going to stop tanking his value. If you couldn't get their high second, you weren't going to get one of their three firsts. 
    grumpy1
  • elpalitoelpalito Wealthy Alum
    A 1st was always a pipe dream.
    TruckCrew

dudis41 said:

AB wasn't going to stop tanking his value. If you couldn't get their high second, you weren't going to get one of their three firsts. 
    I think the Steelers could have mitigated the situation much better from the beginning. There didn’t need to be press conferences and public meetings with Art II that made clear that the Steelers had given up on trying to salvage things with AB, only to have Colbert laughably attempt to backtrack a week later having lost any bit of leverage they may have had. I understand Steelers wouldn’t have been coming from a great position of strength regardless, but maybe holding out a bit longer, paying AB the roster bonus, and (FFS) not publicly imposing an arbitrary deadline on yourself to get a deal done (which didn’t happen anyway), would have sent the message that maybe the Steelers were actually crazy enough to keep AB around in spite of everything.

For me, the only saving grace for this will be if it comes out that it is already known that AB will be suspended for the January domestic incident.