Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Miami at Akron at 8:00 Monday night in the MAC Tournament

124»

Comments

• BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Mercifully this disappointing season is over. Jack and this staff have a lot of work to do. I hope they are up to the task. At this point, I enter the offseason with a healthy amount of skepticism. 

Remember, watch the 22-7 Miami women play Toledo on Wednesday night!! They deserve all our support!!
    Bash_RiprockNescacdad
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    Good that Miami is done ... now back to what matters: PURDUE, right coaches? ... smh, what a massive disappointment 
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11
    redhawk11 said:

This is very tough to watch

redhawk11 said:

I basically chose not to.  Better games every where else.  I remember when Darrian Ringo seemed like a pretty good point guard.  It was not that long ago that Bam looked like he had really learned how to play. And Dalonte Brown is pretty much totally worthless game after game....What the Hell happened to those guys????

• DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    That second paragraph was my comment.
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    I think all anyone needs to know about this game, if they did or didn't watch it, is at one time, our lineup was Ringo, Sibande, Harouna, McNamara, and Abrams.  I don't think anything else needs to be said.
    Mowch
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    I checked the score twice. The first time we trailed 44-28 early in the 2nd, the second time was the final.

Our guys DO realize Zion won't transfer to Miami due to our tanking, right?
  • muhoopsjunkiemuhoopsjunkie Dodds God
    edited March 11
    I basically chose not to.  Better games every where else.  I remember when Darrian Ringo seemed like a pretty good point guard.  It was not that long ago that Bam looked like he had really learned how to play. And Dalonte Brown is pretty much totally worthless game after game....What the Hell happened to those guys???? 

When Miami's biggest and most respected fan posts the above I hope David Sayler, Jack Owens and others are paying attention. 

Obviously an embarrassing and shameful performance tonight which is the tip of the iceberg on an incredibly disappointing season.  

redhawk11
  • NescacdadNescacdad Senior Barfly
    edited March 11
    Caught the last 7 minutes. Havent seen an uglier performance in years. RIP 2019 Miami hoops!
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    A few fun facts from tonight's game:
    • Players not named Nike Sibande had shooting splits of 9-39, 1-17, 7-15, and scored 26 points.
    • In all of conference play, Eli McNamara took 20 shots total and only played more than 10 minutes one time. Tonight he took 11 shots and played 27 minutes.
    • Akron was averaging 65 ppg in conference play. They did that in 32 minutes.
    • Abdoulaye Harouna fouled out in 21 minutes.
    • Miami finished with 2 assists and 16 turnovers. It has been at least 15 years since Miami had that few assists in a game. The fewest I could find in any game over that time period was 4 from a game against Akron in February 2010. So that's certainly the worst A/TO performance over that span too.
    • In 1 minute of play, Michael Ritchie recorded as many rebounds as Brown (27 minutes), Jovic (27 minutes), and Bowman (9 minutes); and he had more rebounds than McNamara (27 minutes), Harouna (21 minutes), and Abrams (8 minutes).
    • Akron was a 31.6% 3 point shooting team this season. Tonight they shot 17-32.
    muhoopsjunkiegentbaseball12agcJCook32UptownWhilrlRenmancoredhawk11AORedHawk33DICK
    Your definition of "fun" seems to be a bit different than mine.
    Nescacdad
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    I dragged my poor son to Akron for the second time in two weeks. What a sh@t show from the opening tip. There was literally zero to be excited about. It was the worst Miami game i have ever seen in person. So many of our guys regressed year over year or over the last two months. Some guys that played major minutes tonight are overwhelmed at this level. We didnt close out on three pointers. Our offense was pathetic. Nike tried and just missed a lot. Everyone else was awful. I listened to Coach Owens on tune in on the way home and he sounded a lot like Hue Jackson’s last year commentary. I saw Sayler looking absolutely despondent for most of the second half with his head down probably in his phone. What a terrible night. I am so glad this season is over. It was a major disappointment from the first 5 minutes of Butler to the 18 point lead lost to Pepperdine to the Xavier effort to the start of the home MAC season to the road meltdowns at Kent, WMU and Ohio. Just a terrible letdown
    agcmuhoopsjunkieAORedHawk33DICK
    So, who's going to call CPS on Redsea? Someone needs to.
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    edited March 11
    Another fun fact I forgot to mention: John Cooper went 3-2 in MAC tournament first round games and never lost by more than 4 points in any of those games. His 5 tournament losses came by a combined 37 points. Jack Owens is 1-1 in MAC tournament first round games. His 2 tournament losses have come by a combined 31 points.
    agc
    Yes, bring back Cooper...
    JCook32aba222DICK
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    Re6H5wk said:

There isn't a meaningful distinction between the last couple years of Coles, Cooper, and Owens at this point. It's just 10 years of a fucking abyss.
    skins
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    If Dick doesn’t want to watch any more, shut the program down.
    Re6H5wkQuinoaburgerskin66
    yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

There isn't a meaningful distinction between the last couple years of Coles, Cooper, and Owens at this point. It's just 10 years of a fucking abyss.
    Agreed to an extent. Owens regressed this season, but he consistently showed progress last year, something Cooper never did.
  • agcagc Off-Campus Slummer
    Re6H5wk said:

yanksalex said:

Re6H5wk said:

Agreed to an extent. Owens regressed this season, but he consistently showed progress last year, something Cooper never did.
    And this team is arguably the most talented we have had in years. So, Owens can recruit ...
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    I think the players can probably dispense with the kings and mambas on their Twitter handles. ;)

agc
  • skin66skin66 Wealthy Alum
    It would be interesting to debate over a beverage or several whether the head coach in basketball is more responsible for the success or failure of his or her team than the head coach in football and why or why not.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    What a joke this team turned out to be. 
  • 19goSkins19goSkins Senior Barfly
    Men’s swimming won the “MAC”. Our only high-performing men’s team.
    Nescacdad
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12
    Sayler has not produced one winning Major Men's program in his time here....hey he can raise money so that's good.  Women's athletics on the rise....all "money making" men's programs....sheeeeeeeeeeeet!

Owens' was major let down this year...it appears there may have been some chemistry issues going on...but that's what good coaches fix.  

Over under on transfers?
  • digitalhawkdigitalhawk Senior Barfly
    "Other than the fact that Jack Owens isn't John Cooper, what's the reason for optimism?"

I'm sure he'll be given enough time to become Cooper.
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

Sayler has not produced one winning Major Men's program in his time here....hey he can raise money so that's good.  Women's athletics on the rise....all "money making" men's programs....sheeeeeeeeeeeet!

Owens' was major let down this year...it appears there may have been some chemistry issues going on...but that's what good coaches fix.  

Over under on transfers?

TBD.  Haven't seen an investment in MBB yet. 

Remember, it was just over two (2) years ago when David Sayler said:

"With the support of Miami's Board of Trustees and the President, we are making a commitment to men's basketball.  For years, Miami basketball was the preeminent leader of the Mid-America Conference, and we plan to take all necessary steps to make that happen once more."

click HERE for the article.
    Nickskin said:

skins said:

Over under on transfers?

TBD.  Haven't seen an investment in MBB yet. 

Remember, it was just over two (2) years ago when David Sayler said:

"With the support of Miami's Board of Trustees and the President, we are making a commitment to men's basketball.  For years, Miami basketball was the preeminent leader of the Mid-America Conference, and we plan to take all necessary steps to make that happen once more."

click HERE for the article.
    MASTER PLAN TO BE RELEASED THIS FALL. @mollautt
    mollautt
  • skinsskins Wealthy Alum
    edited March 12
    It's a three year plan ;-)

Another March, and Miami nowhere even in remote discussion.
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Akron down 20 to Buffalo in the first 12 minutes.

#tbt to when Miami lost by 29 to the #8 seed in the conference.
    Redsea
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    skins said:

It's a three year plan ;-)

Another March, and Miami nowhere even in remote discussion.
    We are waiting for Amazon to build on a piece of land owned by an unnamed Miami donor in the Amazon. 
    thechuck_2112