Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Nate Oats Contract Extension

BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
edited March 14 in Rogue Boosters
Apparently at least for now not leaving UB. UB just announced they have signed him to a contract extension. Financial terms not yet released. Runs through 2024 season. Nice to see a school commit to their basketball program in a meaningful way!! 

#RiseUpRedhawks 

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    Let's see what they're paying him, I guess.
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>Good move for UB. Whichever School takes Oates we'll have to give money to you be in the form of a buyout.
    edited March 14
    Per UB Bull Run, Oats' new salary is $837,000 per year.  That means next season, he'll make roughly $200,000 more than the second-highest paid coach in the MAC, John Groce.  (Groce is actually pretty far down the list this year due to the structure of his buyout with Illinois; he gets a huge raise next year to $640K and change when the buyout is done.)

It's also nearly $500,000 more than Jack Owens makes.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    Nice to see the MAC stepping up and being competitive! Now time for Miami!
    Blackbird
    edited March 15
    "Time for Miami" involves a lot more than wishing and hoping. We made it happen money-wise with football (although we still are far from the highest-paying job in the conference). The student fees can only bear so much. Having basketball pay what Buffalo or Akron pays will take much more generous alums than we have giving now, and I bet a lot of the alums in a position to make that happen for basketball would rather contribute to a redo of Millett (that they can put their name on) than a dedicated head coaching salary fund (over 25% of Oats' new salary will be paid directly from an alumni fund).
    JCook32DICK
  • MUHawk84MUHawk84 Wealthy Alum

"Time for Miami" involves a lot more than wishing and hoping. We made it happen money-wise with football (although we still are far from the highest-paying job in the conference). The student fees can only bear so much. Having basketball pay what Buffalo or Akron pays will take much more generous alums than we have giving now, and I bet a lot of the alums in a position to make that happen for basketball would rather contribute to a redo of Millett (that they can put their name on) than a dedicated head coaching salary fund (over 25% of Oats' new salary will be paid directly from an alumni fund).

I'd think that if the Athletic Department was able to articulate a vision for the basketball programs, as they did with football, we could generate the donor interest. 
  • dudis41dudis41 Senior Barfly
    Do we know what the buyout is?
  • NickskinNickskin Wealthy Alum
    edited March 15

I'd think that if the Athletic Department was able to articulate a vision for the basketball programs, as they did with football, we could generate the donor interest. 
    Like Miami, UB has a bad arena.  However, Miami could learn quite a bit about how to make it more fan friendly and how to create more revenue streams.  UB has corporate options including court side seating, special areas for pre-game and half-time options.  They have students moving about the arena with credit card scanners that print out 50/50 tickets for all home games.  

Like Miami, UB has had to define itself, generate fan interest and raise money.  My inlaws live in Buffalo and I've been very aware how UB has worked to improve itself.  One great example is its version of the R&W Club.  UB's athletic department not only has a modern athletic development website, it is easy to navigate and it lays out its priorities for fans.

Here's its BLUE AND WHITE FUND website.    

Here's its DEDICATED BASKETBALL EXCELLENCE FUND website.

Here's a link to other fundraising efforts for other sports:  HERE

Here's a link to its LOYALTY POINTS program.  Unlike Miami, UB has a working loyalty points program.  

By comparison, Here's Miami's RED AND WHITE WEBSITE.  Actually, R&W's site is really just a part of the campus wide development page.  

Take a minute....look at the difference.  Then tell me what school's ICA department is trying harder?  

I agree that Miami should not and cannot rely on general fees to fund ICA.  It's not sustainable.  However, we've (and Miami's ICA) known this for years.  There are folks on this site that talk about how donors need to step up and I agree.  However, I would suggest that the genesis of all efforts begins with Miami's ICA.  I haven't seen it.

As MUHawk84 stated, "if the Athletic Department was able to articulate a vision for the basketball programs with football, we could generate the donor interest."  

He's spot on.  Where is the vision.  Where is the effort?  

---
    BTW...Nate Oats buyout is $750,000 this year and drops each year to the final year (2023-24) where the buyout is $300,000
    thechuck_2112AORedHawk33Renmanco
  • QuinoaburgerQuinoaburger Wealthy Alum
    This is probably just to bump up the buyout when he leaves after this season, but I don't see how that contract is sustainable if it's not. Do they really think they can keep the city's interest when they graduate over half their minutes from this season and probably end up back around 100 next year?
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    =>UB athletic director statement regarding Oates extension:

redhawk11
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Buffalo's 3 big stars ( Massenburg, Harris, and Perkins) are Seniors.  5 of their top 7 are Seniors.  8 Seniors on the roster in all.  If Nate Oates wants to go bigtime and get a power conference job, now wolud be the time to go.  He has done a terrific job.  If he wants to say, next year will be a struggle compared to this season, but I do think he is quite capable of putting together another great roster in a couple of years.  UB has now won the MAC tourney 4 times in 5 years, and to me Oates has been even better than Hurley was.
    Renmanco