Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

UC or OSU?

Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
edited March 17 in Football
Looking ahead a little here. I know neither is very likely, but if you could be guaranteed a win this coming football season over either one, which would it be? UC is one of our biggest rivals, and we're on a horrendous losing streak, but beating Ohio St. would make a much bigger splash nationally and might even help recruiting. What say you (and why?)?

Comments

• bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    edited March 17
    UC, no doubt about it. As long as we run up the score.
  • JHVMUFBAlumJHVMUFBAlum Havighurstite
    15-20 years ago, I would have said OSU.
    However with our disastrous losing streak to our biggest rival (UC), I have to vote for UC.
    We need The Bell back, then we can take down Brutus. (Et tu Brute)
  • Love_and_HonorLove_and_Honor Wealthy Alum
    I vote OSU. I've known nothing but losing with that rivalry, what's another couple of years to wait for a win? The Buckeyes haven't lost to an Ohio school since Oberlin nearly a century ago, I'd skydive off the Sears Tower if we pulled that off.
    MHT_Meme_Team
  • MooreHawkMooreHawk Off-Campus Slummer
    OSU, no question.
  • Re6H5wkRe6H5wk Wealthy Alum
    Fwiw, I'd vote OSU.
  • Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    Ohio State. Last in state Ohio college to beat the Buckeyes was Oberlin in 1921. Oberlin won, 7-6, at Ohio Field.
  • EDDIEEDDIE Wealthy Alum
    OSU would be a much bigger win.

Pitt would be a nice win the following year too. I already have my tickets for that one!
  • RedseaRedsea Wealthy Alum
    Ohio State.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Senior Barfly
    UC
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    I'll take it even further: I would rather never beat UC again (might not be a stretch with Chuck) if it meant beating Ohio Buckeyes.
    JCook32redhawk11grumpy1DICKKoheen
  • JCook32JCook32 Summer Orientee
    I know it's a rivalry and we haven't beaten Cincy in forever but people take notice if you go into the Shoe and beat the Buckeyes, including recruits.

Plus a much bigger ML payday...
    Re6H5wk
    Can do polls here, but by my count, including my vote it currently stands at 8-3 in favor of beating the Buckeyes.
    RedHawkBandMan
  • Cincykid3Cincykid3 Wealthy Alum
    If we hadn’t lost 11 in a row to UC, the answer would be easy: Ohio State. Like many here I am concerned about how irrelevant we are becoming in our traditional rivalry games. So, I feel a pull in both directions here but will still have to go with beating the Buckeyes...much bigger on national stage and likely more impact on recruiting than beating UC. (But oh how badly I want to beat UC, too!)
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    Ohio State
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    Poll the people who grew up in Cincy and went to high school or work with UC people. Beat UC.
    grumpy1 said:

Poll the people who grew up in Cincy and went to high school or work with UC people. Beat UC.

Crap, I teach at UC and would still rather see us beat OSU. It's a big deal locally, but it doesn't make SportsCenter, and recruits don't hear much about it.
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    I don't live around people who go to UC, I live around people who never went to college but consider OSU their school.  OSU
    Professor_FateNescacdad
  • redhawk11redhawk11 Wealthy Alum
    OSU would be the biggest win in school history.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    OSU, easily.
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    OSU suckeyes we would be the first team Ohio to beat the suckeyes in football
  • hawkattack06hawkattack06 Off-Campus Slummer
    Iowa
    bpatMHT_Meme_Team
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    greggie76 said:

OSU suckeyes we would be the first team Ohio to beat the suckeyes in football

Since Oberlin!

Still don't get why anyone would choose beating a mid-major over Theeeeeeeeeeeeee.
    grumpy1EDDIE
    redhawk11 said:

OSU would be the biggest win in school history.

I'm kind of surprised this hasn't been the unanimous choice, honestly.
    redhawk11EDDIE
  • bpatbpat Senior Barfly
    I would've gone with OSU if Urbs was still coaching there.
  • DavearamaDavearama Havighurstite
    I know OSU would be biggest win in history and I don't care...

11 in a row to your biggest rival is enough. As far as recruiting goes we're not recruiting against OSU, we're recruiting against UC head to head on most of the kids we're after. 

It's personal! My nephew played at UC. His wife was a trainer there. Her brother played at UC and was only 2 time captain. 

Now his son (my great nephew I think) plays at UC and will be on the field this fall when we play them. I wish him the best but...

I'm really really tired of all the good natured ribbing I'm getting at family functions. I'm tired of all the near misses and end of game melt downs. 

We'll see each other next on September 14th when we play UC. And we'll be together again in Athens on November 6th where his other son plays for the Bobkittens. 

Two wins over biggest rivals is better than one win against OSU. (Who's expected to beat us anyway.) Just keep it close and make 'em sweat a it a bunch. 

And then finally after two huge wins, at our Thanksgiving get together I'll have peace. After 11 traumatic years and balance will be restored in the world!

So like I said: it's personal-----BEAT UC. 
    grumpy1Bash_RiprockRenmancoDICKJHVMUFBAlum
  • grumpy1grumpy1 Senior Barfly
    This^^^^
  • D_DayD_Day Senior Barfly
    Davearama said:

I know OSU would be biggest win in history and I don't care...

11 in a row to your biggest rival is enough. As far as recruiting goes we're not recruiting against OSU, we're recruiting against UC head to head on most of the kids we're after. 

It's personal! My nephew played at UC. His wife was a trainer there. Her brother played at UC and was only 2 time captain. 

Now his son (my great nephew I think) plays at UC and will be on the field this fall when we play them. I wish him the best but...

I'm really really tired of all the good natured ribbing I'm getting at family functions. I'm tired of all the near misses and end of game melt downs. 

We'll see each other next on September 14th when we play UC. And we'll be together again in Athens on November 6th where his other son plays for the Bobkittens. 

Two wins over biggest rivals is better than one win against OSU. (Who's expected to beat us anyway.) Just keep it close and make 'em sweat a it a bunch. 

And then finally after two huge wins, at our Thanksgiving get together I'll have peace. After 11 traumatic years and balance will be restored in the world!

So like I said: it's personal-----BEAT UC. 

There are eight million stories in the Queen City;

This has been one of them.
    grumpy1MHT_Meme_Team
  • CycloneAlCycloneAl Havighurstite
    Both
  • BoarsHeadHeroBoarsHeadHero Havighurstite
    Beat UC!  Better for recruiting...
  • mz343mz343 Senior Barfly
    65 only said a "guaranteed" win so I want to beat Ohio St., which is basically the SEC of the North, and take my chances that we finally get over the top against UC.