Welcome to Miami Hawk Talk!

This website is a fan-operated and fan-oriented site primarily about athletics at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.

This website is not affiliated with Miami University, the Mid-American Conference (MAC), the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC) the NCAA, or any other collegiate or professional organization.

Blasi Fired per CHN

Comments

• thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    CHN also reporting that the fates of Peter Mannino and Joel Beal will be left to the new coach. As of right now, they are still employed by Miami.
  • thechuck_2112thechuck_2112 Wealthy Alum
    I think this means Mannino is technically the coach now
  • The_SackmanThe_Sackman Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

How do we feel about Blashill?

Miami is a better job than the Red Wings.
    TruckCrewJohnnyMacJiveHawkgrumpy1elpalitoHawks05
  • HawksVoxHawksVox Summer Orientee

TruckCrew said:

Miami is a better job than the Red Wings.
    I always liked Jeff and his wife. Good people. I'd be thrilled to have someone with his experience return to Oxford.
    TruckCrew
  • QUANTUMQUANTUM Summer Orientee
    That map is inaccurate, since Arizona St is not shown
  • TruckCrewTruckCrew Wealthy Alum
    edited March 19
    QUANTUM said:

Like Moll’s jokes and hockey trolling, the map is outdated.
    Bash_Riprockgrumpy1elpalito
  • JohnnyMacJohnnyMac Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

I don’t think Blashill is available as long as Ken Holland remains as the Red Wings general manager. If Steve Yzerman takes over, Blashill’s position in Detroit might be in trouble.

• Professor_FateProfessor_Fate Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

TruckCrew said:

I don’t think Blashill is available as long as Ken Holland remains as the Red Wings general manager. If Steve Yzerman takes over, Blashill’s position in Detroit might be in trouble.

Does Steve Yzerman want to coach at Miami?
    dave67MooreHawk
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    How many years did bashi have left on contact
  • BluesmanBluesman Wealthy Alum
    Probsbly won’t be a popular opinion but perhaps now would be a good time to reset this position as far as salary. Blasi was one of the top 5 paid positions at Miami. I’m sorry but that is not an efficient use of resources of the AD.
    JiveHawkHawks05
  • RenmancoRenmanco Wealthy Alum
    Bluesman said:

Probsbly won’t be a popular opinion but perhaps now would be a good time to reset this position as far as salary. Blasi was one of the top 5 paid positions at Miami. I’m sorry but that is not an efficient use of resources of the AD.

Let's pay the next guy twice as much.
    elpalito
  • MU_JimMU_Jim Summer Orientee
    JWags said:

yanksalex said:

Swoop2005 said:

I am disgusted by this. I get it. He’s paid a lot and wasn’t succeeding. But Miami athletics has several more pressing issues than firing one of their own.

I'll say one thing for DS: he doesn't give a flying fuck about "one of our own." Remember his first significant move was canning Maria, who was as engrained in the Miami athletics culture as anyone.

I also think that anyone who is "disgusted" or calls this an "idiot move" is displaying a level of complacency about mediocrity that I just can't get on board with. We were 32-63-16 over the last 3 seasons. If that's not just cause for a performance-based firing, what is?

Agreed 100%.  I am a VERY proud Miami alum and love the history of our athletic programs.  That being said, the infatuation with "one of our own" and "Miami men" is kind of weak and super small time behavior.  Preferential treatment just cause they are an alumni breeds complacency and mediocrity as Alex said.  It basically says the only differentiating factor for Miami is having spent time here.  Its fine to find high rising non-Miami alums who use the role as a stepping stone.  Id rather have successful stepping stone coaches than shoot for an underperforming or less qualified alum cause they might stay in Oxford longer.

Would love someone with a UND or Gopher hockey pedigree
    But, "one of our own" will probably not be tweeting about Purdue!  ):D
    agcDICK
  • mollauttmollautt Wealthy Alum
    TruckCrew said:

QUANTUM said:

Like Moll’s jokes and hockey trolling, the map is outdated.
    =>You love both and you know it!!!

Don't forget about my baseball, Steelers, and not so veiled political trolling. I deserve full credit for it all.

• muhawkmuhawk Wealthy Alum
    This is really sad. There really should be a statue of Rico on campus. His program should have a national championship banner (or multiple national championship banners) hanging from the rafters. The Brotherhood, when other sports struggled, was the one that consistently gave me a real reason to thump my chest and dream of seeing a RedHawks team achieve the ultimate glory.

Then the last few years happened. A change was expected and probably needed. A decade ago? I figured we’d only ever need to find a new coach if Rico wanted to jump to the NHL. I would have never believed this would happen.

Again, the whole damn thing is sad for everyone involved.
    TruckCrewMHT_Meme_Teamskin66thechuck_2112gentbaseball12JiveHawkDICKAORedHawk33redhawk11agcand 3 others.
  • rexjack53rexjack53 Wealthy Alum
    Agree it is sad, but needed. 

muhawk
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    Rico will certainly be inducted into the Miami Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible, and that statue might happen at some future point.
    TruckCrew
  • JiveHawkJiveHawk Wealthy Alum
    JohnnyMac said:

TruckCrew said:

News today - Blashill and the wings are working on an extension.
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    Renmanco said:

Bluesman said:

Let's pay the next guy twice as much.
    You don't pay someone less to solve your problem. 

moose
  • Miami_Oh_YeahMiami_Oh_Yeah Havighurstite
    edited March 21
    yanksalex said:

Spanks004 said:

RYAN. PEDON.
    BORTZ!.
    mollauttThe_SackmanHawks05redhawk11
  • killgas20killgas20 Senior Barfly
    Bump.

Curious when everyone thinks we'll name a coach...before or after Frozen Four?
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    killgas20 said:

Bump.

OSU was bounced last night, so Pedon should be free to talk.
    redhawk11
  • MiamiRedskinsMiamiRedskins Havighurstite
    killgas20 said:

Bump.

After the frozen four
  • greggie76greggie76 Havighurstite
    Pedon coaches basketball not hockey
    profholt82redhawk11skin66TruckCrewThe_Sackmandave67MooreHawkDICKQuinoaburgerBash_Riprock
  • Bash_RiprockBash_Riprock Wealthy Alum
    greggie76 said:

Pedon coaches basketball not hockey

Sure, but if Pedon coached hockey he wouldn't sign a QB every year.
    D_Dayskin66
  • yanksalexyanksalex Wealthy Alum
    First time that I can recall Rico has talked publicly since his ouster: https://t.co/LtRWN7TKyi
    TruckCrew
  • MazMaz Off-Campus Slummer
    yanksalex said:

First time that I can recall Rico has talked publicly since his ouster: https://t.co/LtRWN7TKyi

I find it odd that they didn't even ask him (apparently) about Bergeron taking over his job.  I mean they ask him about Miami's prospects going forward, but nothing about the his former teammate and assistant coach taking over the team.  Weird.
  • dave67dave67 Wealthy Alum
    Rico remains a gentleman. Always will wish him the best.
    TruckCrewmooseDICK
  • KAMUOHIOKAMUOHIO Havighurstite
    Maz said:

yanksalex said:

I find it odd that they didn't even ask him (apparently) about Bergeron taking over his job.  I mean they ask him about Miami's prospects going forward, but nothing about the his former teammate and assistant coach taking over the team.  Weird.

Want to bet Rico said something like. Sure I’ll do an interview but on one condition that you don’t make me talk about my friend taking my job.

I think it was a very respectful interview where Rico avoided grinding any axes. A Miami man that I hope lands on his feet, when he’s ready!
    thechuck_2112D_Daydave67
  • DICKDICK Wealthy Alum
    yanksalex said:

It is a good thing that he waited to make a statement and do an interview.  Emotions can be raw after a firing.  This way Rico can thoughtfully put out his ideas and do it in a classy way.  He is a Miami Hall of Famer for sure, and likely will be back in college coaching in a year or two.
    D_Day
  • Iam4hawksIam4hawks Senior Barfly
    KAMUOHIO said:

Maz said:

yanksalex said:

Want to bet Rico said something like. Sure I’ll do an interview but on one condition that you don’t make me talk about my friend taking my job.

I think it was a very respectful interview where Rico avoided grinding any axes. A Miami man that I hope lands on his feet, when he’s ready!
    Berge said that Rico did text him after the firing and again on the morning Berge was announced as Miami's head coach.